Springs and rider weight

11 replies to this topic
  • DangerRanger245

Posted November 23, 2015 - 09:34 PM

Anybody know how heavy a rider the 2015 WR450 is sprung for? I weigh about 210-215

• mlatour

Posted November 23, 2015 - 09:50 PM

With some quick entries on the Race Tech spring rate calculator,

I found that a 2015 WR450F used for trail/enduro with a rider skill level of B-intermediate

that a rider weight of 170lbs shows to have suggested rates closest to the stock fork/shock springs.

Edited by mlatour, November 23, 2015 - 09:53 PM.

• DangerRanger245

Posted November 24, 2015 - 09:20 AM

Are race tech springs good to go?
Would new valves be necessary?

Maybe I should try to lose 30 pounds instead.

• YamaLink

Posted November 24, 2015 - 04:06 PM

Keep your 30 pounds of muscle, get the proper springs, reset sag, dial in the clickers and then think about a revalve.

• DangerRanger245

Posted November 24, 2015 - 09:18 PM

It's really 30 pounds of fat. But with a 5 month daughter and a busy job as an electrician, I doubt I can keep the 30 pounds off. I fluctuate up and down 15-20 pounds a year. I think new springs is the answer

• RiderDeAzul

Posted November 25, 2015 - 08:22 AM

I have a dumb question about the springs/ rider weight, will not having the correct springs/ valving for your weight ruin the suspension or does it just make for a bad ride?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Andrew Puetz

Posted November 26, 2015 - 07:08 PM

Will not ruin suspension.  Will make for poor handling.  I know very little about suspension myself.  I ran my 12 WR450 for a year on stock springs/valves.  I weigh 230.  After some suggestions on this forum, I took my bike to the local pro-action shop and the ride is tremendously better.  There is a reason that most people say the first mod you should do is suspension (outside of just uncorking the WR's).  I still don't know how to dial in clickers, etc but I am learning.  

Just bought a YZ250X as well and I will be getting springs/valves done over the MN winter.

• highmarker

Posted November 26, 2015 - 07:31 PM

Racetech isn't the only online calculator,   you might try some of the others and find different rates are recommended.  Might also look at the yamaha parts fiche for your bike and see what optional heavier spring rates they offer.  What's often not considered is the spring length, for example the heavier wr might use a slightly longer spring for more installed preload than a YZ.  Even though the spring rate might be the same.

• DangerRanger245

Posted November 26, 2015 - 09:17 PM

I've already set up to get the bike resprung. My mechanic is a well known suspension shop in So Cal.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 27, 2015 - 05:33 PM

I have a dumb question about the springs/ rider weight, will not having the correct springs/ valving for your weight ruin the suspension or does it just make for a bad ride?

Springs are there to hold the bike up, and provide a specific starting point for the dampers movement, once the rider is aboard.

That is why every weight needs different springs.

Under sprung (too soft) makes the bike ride HARSHER because you are starting out too low in the stroke, and are getting into the valving to prevent bottoming, way too soon.

Oversprung (too firm) makes the bike ride HARSHER because you are getting less travel than you would with the correct spring rate. 

Now you can see how having the correct spring is the only thing that works. 

Too soft or too firm is always worse than the correct rate.

Most people think that the springs create the ride quality.

This is false. 

The Valving is what creates the ride quality

The springs just hold the bike up and provide a known, linear resistance.

You could over-correct for a bad spring rate with the valving, and it will make a noticeable improvement....but why bother, when the correct spring rate and vavling is the only thing that works.

Being 20% off in your spring rate is like being 70% off in ride quality.

• RiderDeAzul

Posted November 30, 2015 - 07:56 AM

Maybe my suspension is set up good for me, or maybe I'm just used to quads, but stuff I'd have to slow down to go over on a quad, my bike just feels like it glides over, and as far as I know my 2007 wr450 has stock suspension and I weigh 185-195ish

• mlatour

Posted November 30, 2015 - 10:58 AM

Maybe my suspension is set up good for me, or maybe I'm just used to quads, but stuff I'd have to slow down to go over on a quad, my bike just feels like it glides over, and as far as I know my 2007 wr450 has stock suspension and I weigh 185-195ish

Perhaps for trailriding, having slightly softer springs are ok for you,

but as an example if you were to have a YZ450 and ride motocross tracks,

at 195lbs and depending on your skill level, you would very likely require stiffer than stock springs.

Edited by mlatour, November 30, 2015 - 11:00 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.