Street legal 2 stroke idea. Is it legal?

My plan is to buy a cr250 dirt bike and buy a cheap almost scrap street legal dual sport dirt bike.

This is why I said little dual sport head tube. The cheap junk ones are usually dr200s and chinese clones and the like I didn't realize you were planning on trashing two nice bikes  to make an illegal bike instead of just re-stamp a vin to make an illegal bike

• Like 1

There is actually no chassis number except the one on the tube. The thing that sucks is welding aluminum is not easy. It might be easier to weld engine mounts on a steel frame than to weld a tube on an aluminum bike.Wild Alaskan also had a good point about alignment. Also welding gets pretty hot and can melt the vin number rivets or even destroy them making people get extra suspicious. I think I'll just stick to the tested motor swap that everyone knows. Almost any monkey can weld thick steel and good equipment. It's all about measurements and I am good at that.

There is actually no chassis number except the one on the tube. The thing that sucks is welding aluminum is not easy. It might be easier to weld engine mounts on a steel frame than to weld a tube on an aluminum bike.Wild Alaskan also had a good point about alignment. Also welding gets pretty hot and can melt the vin number rivets or even destroy them making people get extra suspicious. I think I'll just stick to the tested motor swap that everyone knows. Almost any monkey can weld thick steel and good equipment. It's all about measurements and I am good at that.

all the money your going to spend on this project you should just go buy a new Ktm [emoji13] done deal.
  • Like 1

In reply to AddictedtoBling: I see it now.

The chop-shop approach is really only (barely) legal on paper. A regular state safety inspector still might not pass it (it will have to get a safety inspection at some point), and if hassled by 5.0, you will have much less of a leg to stand on than if going the custom built MC route.

If it were me, and in the not to distant future it might be (not with a 2t though), I'd go talk to one of the inspectors. Some of the custom built choppers are way sketchier than converted MX bikes, so it can't be all that hard to get through the process. I have gone through a similar process with a reconstructed Frankenstein Bronco years ago.

As for insurance, its been a while since I've had a plated off-road bike, but getting insurance was never a problem in the past. Realistically, you would only be getting liability coverage. That has more to do with you than the bike, especially for small displacement bikes. I'm sure a willing carrier could be found, and probably at a fair price.

Baja designs makes dual sport conversion kits that cover most of what you would need to get through the inspection. Real DOT knobbies have been available for years now. A charging system could be tricky, but certainly not impossible. In PA, a chain cover is required. Figure out how to adapt one from a different bike, or fab one up with some tin and a sheet metal brake.

I'd really like to have a road legal XR650r some day. I also have some Franken-bike ideas floating in my head that I'd like to build eventually.

In reply to AddictedtoBling: I see it now.

The chop-shop approach is really only (barely) legal on paper. A regular state safety inspector still might not pass it (it will have to get a safety inspection at some point), and if hassled by 5.0, you will have much less of a leg to stand on than if going the custom built MC route.

If it were me, and in the not to distant future it might be (not with a 2t though), I'd go talk to one of the inspectors. Some of the custom built choppers are way sketchier than converted MX bikes, so it can't be all that hard to get through the process. I have gone through a similar process with a reconstructed Frankenstein Bronco years ago.

As for insurance, its been a while since I've had a plated off-road bike, but getting insurance was never a problem in the past. Realistically, you would only be getting liability coverage. That has more to do with you than the bike, especially for small displacement bikes. I'm sure a willing carrier could be found, and probably at a fair price.

Baja designs makes dual sport conversion kits that cover most of what you would need to get through the inspection. Real DOT knobbies have been available for years now. A charging system could be tricky, but certainly not impossible. In PA, a chain cover is required. Figure out how to adapt one from a different bike, or fab one up with some tin and a sheet metal brake.

I'd really like to have a road legal XR650r some day. I also have some Franken-bike ideas floating in my head that I'd like to build eventually.

I'm still waiting for someone to put a KDX200 engine in a modern KX250F roller. If it has been done I haven't seen it, yet. Would be an awesome XC bike.

In co it's not hard. Any off-road bike can be converted with working lights and dot tires. I have plated all my dirt bikes, a tzr250, and a rs125. Some times you can transfer the plates once the bike is plated in one state. The tzr went to live in Michigan and it transferred in.

Wow, KTM's must have really done something bad to you to have you go thru so much trouble to avoid them! ?

If you only want a non-euro bike, what about registering it in another state like South Dakota or Vermont.  I've heard they both are easy to get a plate for your dirt bike.  Since you are riding out in the trails and need the street legal thing for connector roads and such, should be low odds of being stopped.  If you are stopped, the bike will be legally registered in your name, the vin & plate will all be clean, and you can say your family has a cabin up there where you normally leave the bike, you just have it in PA for a couple of days (some story like that).  That seems WORLDS easier than trying the head tube vin swap-aroo.  

• Like 2