Noisy Engine/Rattle or knocking, or paranoid - Video

11 replies to this topic
  • Middle

Posted November 22, 2015 - 12:55 PM

2011 WR450, stock exhaust, snorkel removed from airbox, AIS removed... 

Jetted as Follows

JD Red Needle - clip 5

168 Main

48 Pilot

45 Leak

Stock Starter Jet

Fuel screw 1.5 turns out.

I dont know if im just being paranoid, just recently jetted it, and i feel like i am hearing knocking or something off, though these are infamously noisy engines from what i gather?

Anyone have an opinion?

https://youtu.be/UmFpOdqdVjc

Thanks.

• nucular

Posted November 22, 2015 - 02:07 PM

It's so hard for me to tell by a YouTube video. It sounds a little ticky but that isn't abnormal for these. Have you checked the valves lately and do you know how many hours are on the piston and crank?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 22, 2015 - 06:24 PM

Sounds completely normal

These motors sound like the valve train is always 'loose'

You should hear mine......... :facepalm:

• grayracer513

Posted November 23, 2015 - 08:38 AM

The Yamaha 450 has a long and well deserved reputation as one of the noisiest engines in the business.  Most of them sound like a pipefitters convention.  They also have arguably the best and most well deserved reputation for reliability in spite of all that racket.

Compare yours to a couple of others.

• 2009wr450

Posted November 24, 2015 - 09:47 AM

I didn’t watch the vid but my 09 is clanky sounding. When I put a metal skid plate on it I kept getting off, looking for holes in the case, and checking the oil.

• Middle

Posted November 24, 2015 - 09:54 AM

Good to hear, i had read they were famous for being noisy, unfortunately, i doubt there is a wr450 anywhere near where i live, so listening to another might be a problem.

I think part of it is just me being paranoid after jetting it.  

Its going to be 28-34F here for the next few days, heading to the dmv to plate it, put some miles on her and see if she feels ok.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Middle

Posted November 24, 2015 - 06:38 PM

Maybe im underestimating how much of an impact jetting has...like i said before...

Jetted as Follows

JD Red Needle - clip 5

168 Main

48 Pilot

45 Leak

Stock Starter Jet

Fuel screw 1.5 turns out.

It was roughly 30 degrees F here when i took it out to see if she was going to blow up or not, and i basically have it jetted for 60-90 degree weather.

I only let her idle for 2 minutes maybe, then ran up the road.  Seemed fine at low speed low rpm, but if i gave it any amount of gas beyond that, it felt like i was hitting a rev limiter.. would pop back in then same feeling, throughout the power band.

My exhaust is stock, airbox is open, maybe the exhaust is causing the issue?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 25, 2015 - 07:04 AM

Is it bubbering when you give it lots of throttle

Can you get up in the rpms with partial throttle ok

• RiderDeAzul

Posted November 25, 2015 - 08:21 AM

Yeah, I'm always paranoid about my valve train too, it sounds just like that, but mine was just completely redone, so it's normal (atleast I hope so, or else I'm in trouble) :jawdrop: .

• Middle

Posted November 25, 2015 - 04:08 PM

Yeah, I'm always paranoid about my valve train too, it sounds just like that, but mine was just completely redone, so it's normal (atleast I hope so, or else I'm in trouble) :jawdrop: .

Haha, yeah, freaks me out.

I did let it run for about 5 minutes tonight before i took it out just down the road for a few minutes.  When i got out of the neighborhood i tried to slowly roll up second gear, sputtered/rev limiter feel even on a slow roll a couple times.  Slowed down, tried again, smooth.  Got on her hard and it never sputtered again.  

So, i dont know, i bought this bike 4 weeks ago roughly, had it shipped here from a couple states over, rode it twice for ~5 minutes because its the wrong season to ride here.  Didnt have any stutter issues, but seemed a little weak.  Figured i might as well jet it while i have it tore down for the plating electronics and what not.  

Good god the power surprised me, this/these things have some balls.  Last bike i owned was an 05 R6 i bought new, maybe im forgetting the power of that, its been a few years, just really amazed at how hard this thing pulls.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 26, 2015 - 08:47 AM

Sounds like you just need a complete carb service, fresh plug and possibly plug cap, check your stator for debris and tightness, and maybe an accelerator pump upgrade

http://www.dirtrider...r_carb_rebuild/

http://www.thumperta...ew-and-jetting/

• Wristrockit

Posted December 13, 2015 - 06:41 AM

You wanna chuckle?  I bought two '14 WR450Fs in the last year.  Mine is noisy as all Hell, my Wife's (mine now also) is quiet as a church mouse.  Go figure.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.