COLD starting

2 replies to this topic
  • Colt97

Posted November 20, 2015 - 06:36 PM

First of all I live in Southern Saskatchewan, Canada. I got the bike in late summer when it was just starting the cool off. On some of the colder days it was hard to start (took several kicks with choke on). It is now starting to be winter. It is currently -11 degrees Celsius ( 12 degrees Fahrenheit) and i can not get the bike to start at all. As far as I know the jetting and everything else is stock. My bike is a 2003 450 (was told it has very low hours on it). I am running 10w50 oil I believe. (i changed it a month ago and that's what the dealer suggested i use in it). the only mod that I've done was changing the exhaust out for an exhaust off for a YZF exhaust (quieter than the gutted wr exhaust and performs just as well). I would like to be able to ride my bike during the winter but it won't start. :cry: Do I need to rejet? If so what jetting should I get? Should the same jetting for winter work for summer seeing as it was hard to start sometimes during the summer too? I was thinking about taking it to my dealer and getting them to look it over (change my fork seals, clean and tune/jet the carb, check valves). 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted November 20, 2015 - 07:57 PM

Read the FAQ section about your specific bike

READ about uncorking and re-jetting

SEARCH about uncorking and rejetting YOUR SPECIFIC BIKE

It will never run well or start well untill it is tuned for your environment.

You can buy a JD Jetting kit, but it only covers about 1/2 of the carb.

This goes for all jetting kits.

The JD kit is the best as it tells you in details the best way to uncork your bike

The carb is partly jets, partly pumps, partly bypass circuits, partly mechanical problems.

• Colt97

Posted November 20, 2015 - 08:12 PM

Read the FAQ section about your specific bike

READ about uncorking and re-jetting

SEARCH about uncorking and rejetting YOUR SPECIFIC BIKE

It will never run well or start well untill it is tuned for your environment.

You can buy a JD Jetting kit, but it only covers about 1/2 of the carb.

This goes for all jetting kits.

The JD kit is the best as it tells you in details the best way to uncork your bike

The carb is partly jets, partly pumps, partly bypass circuits, partly mechanical problems.

i already tried to do a search on this and couldn't find anything like my problem so i made a post...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.