Running fuel stabilizer

Chemical Fuel Products Sta-Bil Gas Stabilizer

42 replies to this topic
  • D-rek07

Posted November 21, 2015 - 06:43 PM

Red stickers are for race bikes like the YZ and the YZ450fx
Green sticker or plated bikes are not affected. The new WR450 and almost all WR's are green sticker bikes that can be ridden all year.

I thought so too but my 2014 wr450f was issued a red sticker this year.

• stevethe

Posted November 21, 2015 - 06:45 PM

I thought so too but my 2014 wr450f was issued a red sticker this year.

Someone made a Boo Boo at the DMV. Get it changed.

• schrode

Posted November 21, 2015 - 06:50 PM

register it in Nevada. hehe

serious question here. does the red sticker green sticker apply on road as well? for instance if i came down there with my plated 2t could i still ride it on the road? because i'm plated out of state can i still ride it offroad? just curious.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 21, 2015 - 07:20 PM

register it in Nevada. hehe

serious question here. does the red sticker green sticker apply on road as well? for instance if i came down there with my plated 2t could i still ride it on the road? because i'm plated out of state can i still ride it offroad? just curious.

There is a protocol for riding an out of state bike here.....susposed to be limited to 30 days total.

The bigger issue is your DOT compliance. The CHP/Sherriff/Police does NOT like you riding a non-DOT compliant bike on the street, in town.

If they feel like it, they can literally impound your bike...... but you would have to be doing stoppies at every light to get them to care....

Re-registering can 'ensure' you keep the plate, but there is no guarantee.

Edited by KRANNIE, November 21, 2015 - 07:21 PM.

• schrode

Posted November 21, 2015 - 07:28 PM

There is a protocol for riding an out of state bike here.....susposed to be limited to 30 days total.

The bigger issue is your DOT compliance. The CHP/Sherriff/Police does NOT like you riding a non-DOT compliant bike on the street, in town.

If they feel like it, they can literally impound your bike...... but you would have to be doing stoppies at every light to get them to care....

Re-registering can 'ensure' you keep the plate, but there is no guarantee.

could i ride off road if i came down on holiday during the ban time? only 2t in the woods kinda thing?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 21, 2015 - 07:29 PM

could i ride off road if i came down on holiday during the ban time? only 2t in the woods kinda thing?

If it is plated, technically, you can ride anywhere, as as long as you have a USFS approved spark arrestor, you can ride in the woods.

• schrode

Posted November 21, 2015 - 07:33 PM

If it is plated, technically, you can ride anywhere, as as long as you have a USFS approved spark arrestor, you can ride in the woods.

thanks

• Doug06fx4screw

Posted November 22, 2015 - 05:47 AM

Open your eyes, man.

CA policy usually occurs in at least 50% of the US states within 5 years.....

My eyes are open. The point I was trying to make is there are still parts of the USA that are free.

For example, I can walk into my local DMV with a title for my yz490 and walk out with a registration and a plate for it. All that's needed on my part is my promise that I have added the required safety equipment such as lights and a horn. They don't even look at the bike.

Another example. I don't have to have my vehicles inspected every year. Or ever, for the matter. So to say everyone goes along with communist Cali, is a false statement.

Edited by Doug06fx4screw, November 22, 2015 - 05:50 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 22, 2015 - 06:49 AM

My eyes are open. The point I was trying to make is there are still parts of the USA that are free.

For example, I can walk into my local DMV with a title for my yz490 and walk out with a registration and a plate for it. All that's needed on my part is my promise that I have added the required safety equipment such as lights and a horn. They don't even look at the bike.

Another example. I don't have to have my vehicles inspected every year. Or ever, for the matter. So to say everyone goes along with communist Cali, is a false statement.

The only person who has made that statement is you

• zderekv

Posted November 22, 2015 - 07:16 AM

Re: the OP's original question, in New England we're getting ready to put our bikes away now. I've always put my 4 strokes away with a full tank treated with marine Sta-Bil. Come spring time I just run the gas in the tank. Doesn't hurt anything. With my 2 strokes (my babies) I add Sta-Bil all year when I'm mixing my 2 stroke oil. I tend to mix 5 gallons at a time and it's just a precaution in case I don't burn through the gas in the next week or 2. I recommend marine formula Sta-Bil.

I've gotta admit, I was taken by surprise that someone from Cali was asking about fuel stabilizers. Didn't know you guys ever had to put 'em away.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • D-rek07

Posted November 22, 2015 - 08:47 AM

Re: the OP's original question, in New England we're getting ready to put our bikes away now. I've always put my 4 strokes away with a full tank treated with marine Sta-Bil. Come spring time I just run the gas in the tank. Doesn't hurt anything. With my 2 strokes (my babies) I add Sta-Bil all year when I'm mixing my 2 stroke oil. I tend to mix 5 gallons at a time and it's just a precaution in case I don't burn through the gas in the next week or 2. I recommend marine formula Sta-Bil.

I've gotta admit, I was taken by surprise that someone from Cali was asking about fuel stabilizers. Didn't know you guys ever had to put 'em away.

It's like over 100 in the desert everyday. There are cooler places to ride but we're not huge fans of wood riding

• zderekv

Posted November 22, 2015 - 10:45 AM

It's like over 100 in the desert everyday. There are cooler places to ride but we're not huge fans of wood riding

You'll have to excuse an old New Englander - out here it's woods or moto and we live for technical woods riding. I can understand that though - I have a hard time getting my guys motivated when it hits 90, never mind 100.

• Kx250FRiDeR651

Posted November 22, 2015 - 10:50 AM

What part of Ca are you in? Down here in SoCal deserts it's been pretty cold for the past couple months. Here's this weeks weather. Been beautiful riding/shooting weather out there.

EEB6E03B-F9A6-41DE-95C4-9ED1780A8EC7.png

And you should get your red sticker fixed. Wr's are all Ca approved green sticker.

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651, November 22, 2015 - 10:53 AM.

• bobpara

Posted November 22, 2015 - 04:26 PM

This red sticker stuff sounds like a bunch of BS dreamed up by a bunch of tree huggers

The pollutants from dirtbikes and ATVs?......Maybe 1% or less of all pollutants from internal combustion engines on the planet?

But then again, them tree huggers just don't bikes and would prefer you ride a mountain bike.....so lets pass some legislation against them

In my area these same moon-bats want to ban leaf blowers!

Because of pollution, not the noise !!

Perhaps its time for someone like Donald Trump to put things back on course

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 22, 2015 - 06:31 PM

This red sticker stuff sounds like a bunch of BS dreamed up by a bunch of tree huggers

The pollutants from dirtbikes and ATVs?......Maybe 1% or less of all pollutants from internal combustion engines on the planet?

But then again, them tree huggers just don't bikes and would prefer you ride a mountain bike.....so lets pass some legislation against them

In my area these same moon-bats want to ban leaf blowers!

Because of pollution, not the noise !!

Perhaps its time for someone like Donald Trump to put things back on course

Yeah, on course. Right.

In 1971 Los Angeles we had 100 days a year of 'stage 3 or higher' smog alerts.

All outdoor school activities were banned, including collegiate sports.

The air was so brown in  the valley I lived in you could not see 1/4 mile all summer.

If you played outside, your chest hurt for hours afterwards.

Pollution was real.

That no longer exists, and no more smog alerts anymore.

Red sticker is not about pollution, it's about motorcycle use population control......it's a politcal move, not a health move.

• Chaconne

Posted November 22, 2015 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, on course. Right.

In 1971 Los Angeles we had 100 days a year of 'stage 3 or higher' smog alerts.

All outdoor school activities were banned, including collegiate sports.

The air was so brown in  the valley I lived in you could not see 1/4 mile all summer.

If you played outside, your chest hurt for hours afterwards.

Pollution was real.

That no longer exists, and no more smog alerts anymore.

Red sticker is not about pollution, it's about motorcycle use population control......it's a politcal move, not a health move.

On course... :lol: 

Most of the problems out this way are caused by local busy-bodies who are constantly whining about trivia rather than anything else. They show up a city council meetings looking for any excuse to whine and complain about what somebody else is doing. Of course their activities --no matter how obnoxious-- are completely justified and self-sanctioned.

• bobpara

Posted November 22, 2015 - 07:13 PM

Never saw what CA was like, heard about it.

Lived in Taiwan with the folks when I was a kid though

Pretty similar story

Tree hugging liberals are Amazing.

The SOLVE the problem and they still want MORE.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 22, 2015 - 07:41 PM

Never saw what CA was like, heard about it.

Lived in Taiwan with the folks when I was a kid though

Pretty similar story

Tree hugging liberals are Amazing.

The SOLVE the problem and they still want MORE.

Yeah, but you still don't get it.

In 50 years the worlds population will double, along with the pollution....unless we plan for it now, we will have no air to breathe.....

• avlisj

Posted November 23, 2015 - 10:21 AM

The only reason to buy a wr is the green sticker. Other wise i would buy a yz, kx, or cr or any new 2 stroke!. you got screwed, need to get that fixed

• avlisj

Posted November 23, 2015 - 12:43 PM

Fi wr is a great alternative though. Platable. Uncorked for cheap and adjustable power delivery. All in a yzf frame. Love this bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

to Sta-bil or not to Sta-bil? by mediumdaddy

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • 18 replies
Forums
Photo

Fuel Stabilizer when storing for winter by MarkandtheBRP

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 13 replies
Forums
Photo

Best fuel stabilizer? by rhinoracin

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • 21 replies
Reviews

Sta-Bil Gas Stabilizer by ThumperTalk

Chemical Fuel Products Sta-Bil Gas Stabilizer, Brand Sta-Bil
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Bryan Bosch
  • On March 08, 2013
Forums
Photo

How to winterize drz? by Bryan Killa Bee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • 21 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.