Running fuel stabilizer

Chemical Fuel Products Sta-Bil Gas Stabilizer

42 replies to this topic
  • D-rek07

Posted November 18, 2015 - 10:16 PM

I live in California where we put our bikes away for the summer and ride in the winter. Anyways, riding season is here. I have a 2014 WR450F. It's fuel injected and I left it stored with a full tank with fuel stabilizer in it. This is the first time I've left it sit for the summer. I'm riding it for the first time next week. Is it okay to run it with the fuel stabilizer in it or do I need to drain it and put new gas in it?

Thanks guys

• stevethe

Posted November 19, 2015 - 05:21 AM

Run it.

• AtomicGeo

Posted November 19, 2015 - 06:39 AM

I ran it last winter on my '14, seemed to run fine.  Smells different coming out of the exhaust tho.

• Brandon7711

Posted November 19, 2015 - 08:08 AM

I've run gas with stabilizer after a while and it works fine. If you want to be on the extra safe side dump it (piece of mind too) but as the stabilizer says it keeps gas safe for say 8 months and u haven't passed that you'll be good to go

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 19, 2015 - 08:35 AM

Not an issue

'Storage' fuel stabilzier is different from 'running' fuel stabilzer, but it still will not be a problem.

• markmc2

Posted November 19, 2015 - 09:26 AM

didn't you stabilize the fuel so you could run it later?  :facepalm:

• Doug06fx4screw

Posted November 19, 2015 - 03:31 PM

didn't you stabilize the fuel so you could run it later? :facepalm:

My thoughts exactly, why else would you stabilize your gas?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 19, 2015 - 04:13 PM

Gas stabilizer is not just for storage, it's for regular use, to combat the ethanol additives that can wick moisture in a matter of days.

• Kx250FRiDeR651

Posted November 19, 2015 - 05:30 PM

I'm more concerned that someone in California puts his dirtbike away part of the year when riding season is 365 days of the year here.

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651, November 19, 2015 - 05:31 PM.

• KennyMc

Posted November 19, 2015 - 06:06 PM

I'm more concerned that someone in California puts his dirtbike away part of the year when riding season is 365 days of the year here.

Exactly :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • D-rek07

Posted November 21, 2015 - 10:54 AM

My bike is a red sticker bike so I can't ride it during the summer even if I wanted to.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 21, 2015 - 12:49 PM

My bike is a red sticker bike so I can't ride it during the summer even if I wanted to.

Sure you can. 

Come ride with me.

• markmc2

Posted November 21, 2015 - 01:44 PM

CA Laws suck, move to a free state

• Doug06fx4screw

Posted November 21, 2015 - 02:43 PM

I cant comprehend not being allowed to ride. What kind of communist law is that?

• DPete

Posted November 21, 2015 - 03:37 PM

Gas stabilizer is not just for storage, it's for regular use, to combat the ethanol additives that can wick moisture in a matter of days.

I was told by a mc mechanic to run sea foam @ 1oz per gallon for this reason

CA Laws suck, move to a free state

Agree completely

I cant comprehend not being allowed to ride. What kind of communist law is that?

Dreamed up by Cali air board commies, they are everywhere

Edited by DPete, November 21, 2015 - 03:38 PM.

• bobpara

Posted November 21, 2015 - 03:53 PM

What is a 'red sticker' in California?

Sounds kind of shitty.....you CAN'T ride your bike for a portion of the year !!! ???

The reason I ask is that CA tends to set the tone for the future everywhere

....coming to your state soon possibly

• Doug06fx4screw

Posted November 21, 2015 - 05:44 PM

Sounds kind of shitty.....you CAN'T ride your bike for a portion of the year !!! ???

Not true, CA has NOT set a tone everywhere. That's complete non sense and not the truth to say the least!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 21, 2015 - 06:12 PM

Not true, CA has NOT set a tone everywhere. That's complete non sense and not the truth to say the least!

Open your eyes, man.

CA policy usually occurs in at least 50% of the US states within 5 years.

EPA restrictions for vehicles and industrial manf. started in Maryland, and jumped to northern CA in the 70's and is now nation wide

Unfortunately, Haliburton lobbied to remove most restrictions, and Cheney made sure it was completely removed when he was in the cabinet...for the oil industry ONLY.

CARB pollution limits for manufacturing are now nearly nation wide (california air resources board)

That's why we don't make furniture, cars, or anything else with a sprayed on oil finish in this country.

DOT standards started in Detroit, then were forced in CA, and now Nationwide

OHV riding restrictions started in CA, are now adpoted in several states since 1995

Lemon law started in CA and is now enforceable nation wide

Jarvis-Hunt property tax reform started in CA, and now is in 25 states

The CSLB (california state license board) is now the country standard for monitoring contractor's licenses and insurance

....that's just the stuff I could think of without resorting to Google....

It can't argue ' that's nonsense' without proving your position.....

Edited by KRANNIE, November 21, 2015 - 06:14 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 21, 2015 - 06:17 PM

In the months that have more UV exposure (longer days and higher temps) the red stricker restriction is in place in 75% of all OHV riding areas.....to reduce smog and polluted Ozone issues.

This only makes up about 30% of the total actual land, but a lot of that land is boring.

The real reason is to put a wet blanket on the growth/demand of high polluting engines, in favor of low performance engines.  If the vechicles can't evolve, the sport dies.

Kind of a 'population control' issue.

The law does not say you 'can't ' ride, it just says there is a fine if you do, and get caught.

The fine varies by descrestion of the arresting officer / ranger. $50 to infinity....

Typically, your entry to the park is denied at the gate if you have a bike with a "C" or an "8" in the 8th digit of the VIN number.....

Edited by KRANNIE, November 21, 2015 - 06:19 PM.

• stevethe

Posted November 21, 2015 - 06:36 PM

Red stickers are for race bikes like the YZ and the YZ450fx
Green sticker or plated bikes are not affected. The new WR450 and almost all WR's are green sticker bikes that can be ridden all year.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is fuel stabilizer snake oil? by Berm-Saw

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  31 replies
Forums
Photo

to Sta-bil or not to Sta-bil? by mediumdaddy

• 18 replies
Forums
Photo

Forgot Fuel Stabilizer, now what? by AliGee

• Hot  24 replies
Reviews

Sta-Bil Gas Stabilizer by ThumperTalk

Chemical Fuel Products Sta-Bil Gas Stabilizer, Brand Sta-Bil
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Bryan Bosch
  • On March 08, 2013
Forums
Photo

How to winterize drz? by Bryan Killa Bee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Suzuki   DR-Z 400
  • 21 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.