Installed my EG mo betta 295 kit today

I was at 14/46 when I first installed the 295. Would be perfect for the dez. But the tight single track around here demands lower gearing. So I put a 13 on the front. 13/46 is like 14/49.5 or so. I can't keep the front wheel on the ground.

I am seriously considering a different pipe to soften the power off the bottom. These 295s are animals.

I was at 14/46 when I first installed the 295. Would be perfect for the dez. But the tight single track around here demands lower gearing. So I put a 13 on the front. 13/46 is like 14/49.5 or so. I can't keep the front wheel on the ground.

I am seriously considering a different pipe to soften the power off the bottom. These 295s are animals.

i like my 15/48 for my fast riding/race gearing. 14/48 is a little too short legged for me, so i might try 15/50 since i still have my stock 50t which is brand new. And yes these 295's are great! Is your head cut for race or pump fuel?

Yeah 15/48 is only 1.5 teeth taller than what I was running, 14/46. 15/48 was just a touch too tall for me during the national hare and hound second and third loop gnarly rocky crap.

I asked EG to set the top end up for mixed race and pump fuel. Tuners usually figure 100 octane for that. But now race fuel is not as easy to get for me as 100LL Aviation fuel so now I'm running 100% 100LL which seems to work well.

Although I haven't yet done a comp test on the 295 head yet...the last head I asked EG to set up like this was a 250 head and it had 250 psi of comp with worn rings when I tore it down for inspection at 35 hours.

Yeah 15/48 is only 1.5 teeth taller than what I was running, 14/46. 15/48 was just a touch too tall for me during the national hare and hound second and third loop gnarly rocky crap.

I asked EG to set the top end up for mixed race and pump fuel. Tuners usually figure 100 octane for that. But now race fuel is not as easy to get for me as 100LL Aviation fuel so now I'm running 100% 100LL which seems to work well.

Although I haven't yet done a comp test on the 295 head yet...the last head I asked EG to set up like this was a 250 head and it had 250 psi of comp with worn rings when I tore it down for inspection at 35 hours.

I'm a huge fan of the 100LL! I have run it in every 2 stroke I've owned with awesome resluts... Blows my mind that people pay $12 a gallon for c12

I was paying 9$/gal for vp110 and mixing it with 91 pump at 3.5$/gal. So that averages 6.25$/gal for 100 octane. Not too bad if you don't live near a small airport that will willingly sell 100LL. The price buy me here in PA is just under 5$/gal for 100LL which doesn't offer a huge savings but the convenience is deff worth it even if the cost would be the same...no need to order anything, no steel pales to get rid of, no mixing of fuels, more consistent fuel, those types of conveniences.

The problem is not all airports in all states will sell Aviation fuel for off airport use. But most will.

Just got back from Barstow and man I love this bike! I put around 300 miles on it and it never skipped a beat. I couldn't get it jetted right because I didn't have small enough jets, but this things rips! It has way more torque off idle than I thought it would. It feels like it pulls harder than a 450 everywhere. I did some 40ish mph to top speed pulls with a couple 450's and pulled them until I ran out of gearing and they slowly would pull away. Overall I'm very happy with the 295. I would definitely recommend it. Also this thing lugs great! I could run a gear or TWO high and it would have enough power to grunt it's way up anything. Ended up with 172 main, 42 pilot, stock needle in 1st clip. My air screw must have a burr in the threads because I can only get it to back out 2.5 turns. It ran rich all the way through the power.

It is my experience that the EG port jobs burble down low more than the stock setup. I've been trying to jet this burble out for quite some time.

I've heard that getting the squish setting perfect is key to eliminating the 1/4 throttle rich burble. Although I haven't had the time to get my heads right yet. Waiting for it to snow here.

The #8 slide works too (to eliminate the low rpm burble) but my experience with it is that it makes the bike too responsive for trail riding. However for your conditions in the dez the #8 slide would likely be very good for you.

Its been in the low 40s here lately so I have been experimenting with the NECW needle and slightly smaller brass. Way better mid range. Very torquey and responsive but not too much. Just can't wait to get my squish corrected and see how that effects things.

I miss the dez tho.

It is my experience that the EG port jobs burble down low more than the stock setup. I've been trying to jet this burble out for quite some time.

I've heard that getting the squish setting perfect is key to eliminating the 1/4 throttle rich burble. Although I haven't had the time to get my heads right yet. Waiting for it to snow here.

The #8 slide works too (to eliminate the low rpm burble) but my experience with it is that it makes the bike too responsive for trail riding. However for your conditions in the dez the #8 slide would likely be very good for you.

Its been in the low 40s here lately so I have been experimenting with the NECW needle and slightly smaller brass. Way better mid range. Very torquey and responsive but not too much. Just can't wait to get my squish corrected and see how that effects things.

I miss the dez tho.

I think I'm going to try the #8. I'm going to try to get it closer next trip out. Even with it being rich, it pulls so hard!

My observation is the 250 burble is more of a low-load burble rather than any particular throttle position. It just happens that we are typically around 1/8 throttle when in low load conditions ( just rolling along applying very little power) you can prove it to yourself as follows. Next time you are experiencing that burble, hold the throttle steady and slightly hit the rear brake. Burble will disappear but throttle pos is unchanged. That's my theory anyhow.

My observation is the 250 burble is more of a low-load burble rather than any particular throttle position. It just happens that we are typically around 1/8 throttle when in low load conditions ( just rolling along applying very little power) you can prove it to yourself as follows. Next time you are experiencing that burble, hold the throttle steady and slightly hit the rear brake. Burble will disappear but throttle pos is unchanged. That's my theory anyhow.

I've experienced that before I had the 295 kit. The burble I'm getting is much worse. More of a blubber that won't go away unless I'm wringing the bike out. This is why I say it's too rich. It will stumble and stop pulling until it clears up, like when a main jet is too rich. Edited by desertbound1024

This is exactly what it is...a low load burble. The reason it doesn't happen above 1/8th throttle is because the wind resistance drag of rolling resistance keeps the engine loaded.

But that doesn't make it any less annoying. There are certain turns you have to coast into and partially power out of...and if your unloaded and burbling the exit isn't as smooth as it could be. Also, crawling around and snaking through trees in first gear it's difficult to stay smooth and flowy. As soon as it comes off the burble it jumps... just doesn't have smooth roll on power off idle. Well actually just off idle is fine on my motor...it's just a couple hundred rpm above idle where my burble is.

It doesn't need to be like this. Many other motors out there don't have this characteristic. So I'm going to keep searching. I suspect I will find the right setup once my squish is fixed.

This is exactly what it is...a low load burble. The reason it doesn't happen above 1/8th throttle is because the wind resistance drag of rolling resistance keeps the engine loaded.

It doesn't need to be like this. Many other motors out there don't have this characteristic. So I'm going to keep searching. I suspect I will find the right setup once my squish is fixed.

Good to hear. Keep us informed of anything you find. Do other 250's have this burble? I know my yz125 (144) does not. it is silky smooth at any throttle or load, but I have a kx100 a while back that had the same burble, so it's not just a 250 thing. 

ALSO: Does the 250x have the burble? In the videos I've watched I've seen some scenes where it seem smooth and others where the burble seems evident. I can't tell for sure if it is better or worse overall.

Edited by rjpjnk

I think the low load burble is there only barely noticeable on stock motors. I think the EG porting increases it. The porting increases the signal to the carb so any rich problem there may be hidden away in the power band is brought to light.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not selling my EG cylinders. Just searching for that silky smooth perfection.