XR-650L in the dunes at Glamis???

4 replies to this topic
  • bigmike61

Posted February 29, 2004 - 06:03 PM

I am wondering how my 650L is going to do in the sand out in Glamis. I have never rode a bike in the sand dunes and am wondering how bad the weight is going to do? :D I have rode quads and three wheelers in the dunes and always wanted to do the bike, so nows my chance. :D I hope to have my new Dyno-jet kit installed, but if not my bike still has a ton of power. What size paddle would anyone recommend and how does the stock gearing work out??? :) Thanks in advance for any feedback :D

• qadsan

Posted February 29, 2004 - 06:22 PM

I've ridden my 650R at Glamis with fairly good results without a paddle tire. If I was going to use a paddle tire on a 650R or 650L, I'd probably choose an 8 cup. The slower the speed, the harder the bike is to ride in the sand, but once you get the speed up the bike will float & carve nicely. I usually don't ride higher up in the RPM range because letting off the throttle causes more engine braking which in turn causes the front to plow. You'll be fine if you keep the front end light and keep the speed up.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • tp3dxf

Posted February 29, 2004 - 08:02 PM

Oh man sand is a whole new experience no matter what you ride. Keep the throttle on and don't be so afraid to fall because you will. Your bike should have enough power but remember keep your speed up and the throttle open. I would also recommend a rear shock cover. Sand is nasty and gets in every crevice it can find. Have fun and watch that front end.

• PismoRat

Posted March 01, 2004 - 08:39 PM

I would say use a 10 cup paddle, that's what I run on my 600 and it pulls fine. Just keep your speed up, lean back, air down the tires a bit, take off your front brake lever for that trip, and have fun! :)

• 24HRDESERT

Posted March 01, 2004 - 09:12 PM

I ride my 650R in dunes and soft sand tracks 95% of the time...and it's GREAT!!!
Michelin s-12, front and rear, great grip (about 10-11 psi) and wear fine as long as not near hard stuff!!!
Keep speeds up for best results...and more importantly F-U-N!! Damper helps....enjoy!! :)

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.