How many of you lighten your bikes up?

35 replies to this topic
  • Ctown208

Posted November 17, 2015 - 07:24 PM

How many of you lighten your bikes up? Any one know any weight loss keys and tricks? Is the end result noticeable?
I see a lot of complaints about the weight of the new yz along with the bulk of it, seems like these issues can be addressed fairly easy.

I'm sure more than just pro sponsored riders are in to it, just trying to get a feel for what people are doing.

The lowered subframes and shaved seats have to be a common thing when you can shift the weight down on the bike.

• cpetz24

Posted November 18, 2015 - 06:46 AM

1. Half a tank of fuel.  Drops 5 lbs right there.  That is if you ride mostly track and have easy access to the truck.  In the woods I wouldn't recommend it. 

2. If you run double wrapped ultra heavy tubes like I used to, go to a tubliss setup.  Comparatively speaking it drops a good chunk of weight right there, but the main thing is that it reduces the amount of un-sprung, rotating mass.  

3. Put down the ice cream and pick up a carrot.  Less of a gut really effects the way the bike handles.  Look at all that mass you have above the center of gravity of the bike.  

Ultimately it boils down to, how good of a rider are you and do you need to spend the time, money and effort to reduce the weight.  Options 1 and 3 are free, and don't cost you a dime. If we're speaking percentages, will affect the bike weight drastically.  Adding a titanium bolt kit to reduce weight by 1 lb and having to spend hundreds of dollars really doesn't make sense if you're hammering down laps with the best that C-class has to offer.   I race hare scrambles mainly, and my bike is a pig with all the extra bark busters, skid plates, oversized tank... etc. but you really don't notice it all that much once you get the bike setup for the weight.  

Just my opinion.  Take it for what it's worth. 

• grayracer513

Posted November 18, 2015 - 07:20 AM

There really isn't a lot of excess weight to remove from a YZ.  Lowered subs and shaved seats are intended to lower the rider's seated position, not the bike's CG.  Neither one weighs enough to be significant.  Outside of drilling stuff full of holes, there aren't many options.

Bridgestone makes an extremely durable heavy duty inner tube that weighs less than half what typical Chinese HD's do.  Maybe only about twice a standard tube.  Excellent solution to that problem.

• Ctown208

Posted November 18, 2015 - 08:23 AM

As for the seat and sub lowering it worked sweet on the mx quads. Now I see some of the race teams are doing it. It wouldn't be real hard to lower the sub on my 16. Shave the seat would be fairly easy also.

As for the weight I was just thinking for when the tires arnt planted to the ground.

Have you guys seen all the titanium bolts at race tech titanium? That's got to add up to a huge loss if you had the money to do the whole bike.

But then again I could see people dumping 10k into a bike just to lose 15lbs.

• grayracer513

Posted November 18, 2015 - 09:15 AM

Back in the day, things were quite a bit different.  I had a couple of CZ 380's that I did a lot of work to lighten, and that was very effective, but the bike was built with things like a 9 pound steel gas tank and steel fenders that made saving weight with alternative parts much easier.  Not so these days as far as production MX bikes are concerned.  There's virtually nothing on them that isn't necessary, and most of the stuff is about as light as it can get from a practical standpoint. 

• GHILL28

Posted November 18, 2015 - 11:23 AM

If you drop the pegs, you lower your ~200lb carcass by 1/2"-1".

Tank foam gives a very light feel to the bike, especially when there's about a half tank of gas and it's not bouncing around over whoops and through corners.

There's some lighter weight seat foams available.  The springs on these bikes are fairly heavy compared to some aftermarket options.

Most people end up adding weight with armor, bigger tanks, decent tubes (the stock ones are basically condoms), heavy duty tires, etc.

If you add up all your changes and the weight savings, and get a figure of $$/lb that you drop, you'd be better off selling and buying a lighter bike.

• Ctown208

Posted November 18, 2015 - 04:59 PM

If you drop the pegs, you lower your ~200lb carcass by 1/2"-1".

Tank foam gives a very light feel to the bike, especially when there's about a half tank of gas and it's not bouncing around over whoops and through corners.

There's some lighter weight seat foams available. The springs on these bikes are fairly heavy compared to some aftermarket options.

Most people end up adding weight with armor, bigger tanks, decent tubes (the stock ones are basically condoms), heavy duty tires, etc.

If you add up all your changes and the weight savings, and get a figure of $$/lb that you drop, you'd be better off selling and buying a lighter bike.

When you say drop the pegs are we talking pro moto billet pegs that drop them. Or is there some brackets that drop them also

• GHILL28

Posted November 18, 2015 - 05:02 PM

Yes, the PMB pegs.

• Monk

Posted November 18, 2015 - 05:27 PM

Exhaust would drop about 3lbs...

Lighter wheels, titanium axels, Cycra Plastics, aluminum sprockets, etc etc...

• Swapper265

Posted November 19, 2015 - 03:11 AM

As for the seat and sub lowering it worked sweet on the mx quads. Now I see some of the race teams are doing it. It wouldn't be real hard to lower the sub on my 16. Shave the seat would be fairly easy also.

A lot of factory teams are doing those mods to lower the subframe and modify the seat foam etc because a lot of those top factory guys are really short. It's certainly not a weight saving method !!

Edited by Swapper265, November 19, 2015 - 03:12 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ctown208

Posted November 19, 2015 - 03:50 AM

A lot of factory teams are doing those mods to lower the subframe and modify the seat foam etc because a lot of those top factory guys are really short. It's certainly not a weight saving method !!

Yeah I was aware it wasn't for weight savings. Thanks

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 19, 2015 - 11:28 AM

How many of you lighten your bikes up? Any one know any weight loss keys and tricks? Is the end result noticeable?
I see a lot of complaints about the weight of the new yz along with the bulk of it, seems like these issues can be addressed fairly easy.

I'm sure more than just pro sponsored riders are in to it, just trying to get a feel for what people are doing.

The lowered subframes and shaved seats have to be a common thing when you can shift the weight down on the bike.

Ride more, worry less.

• UncleLuke

Posted November 19, 2015 - 12:29 PM

Most people add parts to their bikes to suit different riding conditions, not lose parts

Most people spend hours of seat time and physical training to better their riding, not make hypothetical posts on TT.com

• Monk

Posted November 19, 2015 - 01:07 PM

Man, a YZF is roughly 11lbs heavier then a KTM 450sxf. It would cost me a fortune to get my YZF as light, and a fraction to get the WP suspension as good.... Time to buy a KTM!

• Monk

Posted November 19, 2015 - 01:10 PM

Most people add parts to their bikes to suit different riding conditions, not lose parts

Most people spend hours of seat time and physical training to better their riding, not make hypothetical posts on TT.com

https://youtu.be/eGDBR2L5kzI

• GHILL28

Posted November 19, 2015 - 02:27 PM

What are we talking about again?  I missed it.

• Monk

Posted November 19, 2015 - 03:15 PM

What are we talking about again? I missed it.

Buddy mentioning training and such... That seems like too much though...

• GHILL28

Posted November 19, 2015 - 03:18 PM

I thought I heard something 'bout practice...

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 19, 2015 - 04:18 PM

Man, a YZF is roughly 11lbs heavier then a KTM 450sxf. It would cost me a fortune to get my YZF as light, and a fraction to get the WP suspension as good.... Time to buy a KTM!

Wow

• Ctown208

Posted November 19, 2015 - 07:20 PM

Not sure if your trying to be rude or not.
1 I do train at the gym-follow a strict meal plan
2 I put in a lot of seat time as well I can only train so much. I do have a full time job any riding is just a hobby.
3 I have 25 years in racing of some sort.
4 we can all weigh the facts and the $ to lose pounds isn't worth it to most.
5 I'm not buying a Ktm or kx. I'm a Yamaha guy and always will be. I like the design of the motor and head I'm curious what kinda power one can pull out of it.

When a rider has to handle a heavy machine it will wear him down faster. Same goes for to much hp.

So the way I see it, I can build this 16 the way I like it and get a few years of use out of it.

Drop rotational mass and excessive weight seems like a good idea. It is kinda a fundamental of any racing.

It's not a dreamer thread.
I'm a authorized dealer for race tech titanium and parts are easy to obtain for me.

I need larger fuel tank for dunes and see you can get a cf one from Italy that weighs less than oem.
Cf seat pan with light foam.
Rims - cf hubs

Twisted engineering bars.

Lose the bulky plastics.

Right there's a lot of mass that I don't have to try to control around the track and that means less fatigue as a rider.

Probably not for everyone but it was a serious thread and I was wondering if people were into that on this site.

But thanks for belittling my thread.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.