2014-2016 yamaha yz450f cornering/turning

31 replies to this topic
  • Edge316

Posted August 29, 2016 - 01:31 PM

2016 here, sag at 100 and forks in Stock position, have zero issue turning bike.

Everyones different, I was struggling on my 16 yz450f in some corners where the front end had a very vague feel to it. I installed 22mm triple clamps and now all is well. Big difference!

• Edge316

Posted August 29, 2016 - 01:34 PM

The FX uses the WR frame and different triples. The differences are minor to the eye, but either bike is exceptionally sensitive to small changes, the YZ/F in particular.

Just curious....what on the frame have you noticed that is different?

• grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2016 - 01:38 PM

The YZF is set up to steer more quickly than the two other bikes.  Steering geometry.

• Edge316

Posted August 29, 2016 - 02:06 PM

So is there a difference in frames? Both the yz and fx have the same rake of 27.25.I was under the impression the frames were the same...I'm still curious what you visually noticed!

• stevethe

Posted August 29, 2016 - 02:45 PM

I believe they have a different triple clamp offset.

• hondaman331

Posted August 29, 2016 - 02:48 PM

So is there a difference in frames? Both the yz and fx have the same rake of 27.25.I was under the impression the frames were the same...I'm still curious what you visually noticed!

I noticed the radiator shrouds being longer towards fender and there was a wire running next to the cylinder. Visually (besides start button) I don't see or feel frame geometry or really any difference then the 450f. But I haven't rode a fx

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hondaman331

Posted August 29, 2016 - 02:50 PM

Everyones different, I was struggling on my 16 yz450f in some corners where the front end had a very vague feel to it. I installed 22mm triple clamps and now all is well. Big difference!

I ride a lot of sand....suppose stock 16 is better for that?

• grayracer513

Posted August 29, 2016 - 04:32 PM

You might be right.  I dropped a set of 22's on an '03 I had (25's are stock), and it did NOT feel better in sand, no it did not.

I'm convinced that particular bike was possessed, though. 

But even so, sand is probably more so "rider rather than bike" than almost any other surface other than 8" of mud.  Both '06 YZ450's I had were set up the same.  My son could glide around in the dunes with the facility of a young hawk enjoying an afternoon breeze.  I struggled with the least change of direction. 

Sand has a number of properties that are distinctly those of a fluid, so the experience is often oddly similar to riding on water.  If you're having trouble with it, I suggest first finding someone who rides sand really well and ask him to ride your bike.  See what he thinks of it.  That takes the rider question out of the picture, so far as your setup goes, or tells you where in the chassis you need to focus.

• RMK800

Posted August 29, 2016 - 09:45 PM

I believe they have a different triple clamp offset.

I believe a few people confirmed the FX has 22m and the 450F has the 25m. When I got my fx I automatically raised my forks about 4 to 5mm. I felt like the open riding wasn't as stable as I would like. I moved the forks pretty much back to stock and feel like the front is more stable. I guess it a matter of opinion but if there 22m and people are raising them up im sure it was better steering with some sacrifice to stability in the straight sections.

• hondaman331

Posted August 30, 2016 - 05:55 AM

You might be right. I dropped a set of 22's on an '03 I had (25's are stock), and it did NOT feel better in sand, no it did not.

I'm convinced that particular bike was possessed, though.

But even so, sand is probably more so "rider rather than bike" than almost any other surface other than 8" of mud. Both '06 YZ450's I had were set up the same. My son could glide around in the dunes with the facility of a young hawk enjoying an afternoon breeze. I struggled with the least change of direction.

Sand has a number of properties that are distinctly those of a fluid, so the experience is often oddly similar to riding on water. If you're having trouble with it, I suggest first finding someone who rides sand really well and ask him to ride your bike. See what he thinks of it. That takes the rider question out of the picture, so far as your setup goes, or tells you where in the chassis you need to focus.

We tend to ride the rear more, even in tighter harescrambles and such, if you think your clay setup is gonna work you will jack knife constantly and suspension will feel horrible. I slow my rebound down a couple clicks and it's perfect in sand....so I guess the bike is stiff and slow turning stock.....perfect for me.

• GHILL28

Posted September 09, 2016 - 09:48 PM

The FX also uses a longer shock than the regular 450F.  Which, if you ask me, is the WAY wrong way to go with the handling on that bike.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted September 10, 2016 - 08:54 AM

I have just recently purchased a 2016 YZ450. Bought it in August (last Month). Just have only had a chance to ride it once.
I weigh 160lbs an right away knew the Front was way stiff. The rear felt ok to me for stock.

Overall as a stock suspension......I liked it, more better than the 2011 450 and 2015 250 smoker when they were stock.

This 16 to me feels good all except for the stiff Front springs. However... I can still turn it with no problems, just dont settle in the turns/ruts that good in the front. As far as plushness goes......best 450 I think YZ has made out of the 06, 10 and 2011 models. These are the ones I have owned in past.

I am going to have mine redone though, just so I can get the Front to work for me better. .47kg springs a slight adjustment on shims for the front.
Rear doesnt need a whole lot done. Just a couple minor things maybe is all and it should be good to go.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.