03 wr450 starting trouble

8 replies to this topic
  • essonlaker

Posted November 15, 2015 - 03:33 PM

bike: 03 wr450, stock other then street legal kit

bought this bike last summer, has been pretty wicked so far. has always started and ran great.

my brother and I went for a ride this afternoon to run fuel stabilizer through our bikes. my bike wouldn't crank as the battery was dead, haven't ridden in a few weeks and its been cold here. got it running by kickstarting and all seemed well.

went down the trail a few miles and I stalled it when turning around to come back. the starter wouldn't turn and the kicker was locked up. used brute strength  to free it up (took everything my right leg had and im a husky fella).

the bike wouldn't start by kicking now. brother pushed me to bump start the bike and after a couple tries it fired and proceeded to run beautiful.

rode bike right into garage and put a battery charger on it. left it for a couple hours and just went outside to be sure all is well (thinking I may have flooded it kicking the crap out of it). bike cranks over properly but will not start.

at one point during my trying the starter locked up. I turned the engine a little by pushing the kicker with my hand and it proceeded to crank fine but still didn't even fire. I then gave up and decided to post here.

is this the typical woodruff key issue or something else? it seems bizarre the bike went from running well enough to kickstart cold to not starting.

EDIT: I just thought about it some and realize its not the woodruff key because the bike was running via bumpstart just a few hours ago, and running fantastic. will check basic fuel and spark tomorrow. could smell gas at one point so plug may be fouled up enough to not start cold.

Edited by essonlaker, November 15, 2015 - 04:30 PM.

• essonlaker

Posted November 16, 2015 - 04:22 PM

went out in the garage this morning.

my bikes got no spark when cranking with starter. plug was fouled with gas so I cleaned it off before even looking for spark. then I tried another old plug I had laying around. still nothing.

can anybody provide some insight now? this diagnosis is stumping me as the bike was just running yesterday... only via bump starting/ roll starting but it was running well once I got it going.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 16, 2015 - 04:25 PM

You make no mention of any scheduled maintenece, so you should start there.

Valve clearances

New plug

Clean harness connections at Stator

Inspect stator pick up for debris or bad mounting

It's pretty hard to see a spark in the daylight

Bump start only cajn be a sign of closing intake valves

• essonlaker

Posted November 16, 2015 - 06:44 PM

I was going to get to some more in depth maintenance over this winter haven't owned the bike long so have only done oil and coolant changes, air filter cleaning, rear tire, carb clean.  

both plugs I've tried should be fine. the one that was in the bike was new last fall. for the sake of proper troubleshooting I may try a brand new one.

my method of looking for spark was kneeling down beside bike and grounding the plug to cylinder head bolt and reaching up and hitting starter button. based on the lighting of the garage I feel I should have been able to see something.

will probably check the clearances while Im into the bike this far but going to look into no spark first. your suggestions on checking out the stator pickup and the wiring connection seem like great ideas, will look into it. 

will also simply check spark again but with the garage as dark as possible.

thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • essonlaker

Posted November 17, 2015 - 05:53 PM

so I was messing around again this morning.

checked timing and its good. didn't have time to take the left side crankcase cover off and check out the stator. will do asap.

now I took the plugs out of the left side cover to check timing, of course. what I found seems strange.  isn't this area supposed to be dry?  as in, the crank is sealed behind the stator and where the stator is located behind the crankcase cover is dry? mine is all oily in there....... and a magneto suspended in oil makes no sense to me......

I then shut the garage lights off and checked spark again after a few seconds of cranking I saw exactly one random spark. a brighter spark then I was expecting. I would've seen it with the lights on when I checked yesterday.

• essonlaker

Posted November 22, 2015 - 06:18 AM

some idiot that has worked on my bike in the past has forgotten how to use a torque wrench and/or Loctite.  The bolts that hold my ignition rotor and starter clutch gear together were all loose. 3 of them were actually stuck to the magnets of the rotor (fallen out). lucky to have made it home under its own power. the bolts that hold the magneto in were also either coming out or destroyed by the mess that was occurring.  

I need a stator and a left side crankcase cover.

today I will look into whether or not I need a factory stator or an aftermarket one as my bike has a street legal kit. it also appears to have both the factory regulator/ rectifier and a Baja Designs regulator/ rectifier. 

• essonlaker

Posted March 11, 2016 - 06:51 PM

so I got my bike running a couple of weeks ago. new stator and left crankcase cover and all new bolts. test rode down the road in a dusting of snow. runs fine.

problem is it was leaking gas out of the float bowl drain, just the float bowl drain. I'm picking up a new screw along with some other parts tomorrow (head all chewed up, guessing by the same guy that forgot his torque wrench). I think mine had an o ring on it.( will check tomorrow).

will just changing the screw make a difference? or am I barking up the wrong tree here? had carb off for ultrasonic clean and float level check done at dealer last winter, drained float bowl after I took the wrecked stator out and always drain it for storage.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 11, 2016 - 06:57 PM

so I got my bike running a couple of weeks ago. new stator and left crankcase cover and all new bolts. test rode down the road in a dusting of snow. runs fine.

problem is it was leaking gas out of the float bowl drain, just the float bowl drain. I'm picking up a new screw along with some other parts tomorrow (head all chewed up, guessing by the same guy that forgot his torque wrench). I think mine had an o ring on it.( will check tomorrow).

will just changing the screw make a difference? or am I barking up the wrong tree here? had carb off for ultrasonic clean and float level check done at dealer last winter, drained float bowl after I took the wrecked stator out and always drain it for storage.

Just remove the float needle, polish it and the cavity, and it should be fine. Corrosion is making it stick.

If you see wear on the needle tip, or the seat, you will need to replace them both.

• essonlaker

Posted May 29, 2016 - 04:57 AM

cleaned up that needle and seat by hand and shes run awesome since.

problem is its now not charging properly. and both our bikes seem to be charging very little. I discovered this when I stalled out and the bike wouldn't crank. started first kick and went home.

new regulator/rectifier didn't change nothing. theres about 12VAC @ idle getting to the rectifier and if I remove the positive from the battery with bike running it measures about 4 VDC @ idle.

swapped batteries between the 2 bikes and very little change.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.