yz426f sudden power loss after clutch replcment

3 replies to this topic
  • Islay426

Posted November 15, 2015 - 09:42 AM

wondering if someone can help, I recently had to replace the clutch basket in my 426 and when I put everything back together went to run it but after about 10 seconds or so it just cut off and now there seems to be very low compression as if the decompression lever is pulled in. could this be piston rings, a sticky valve? I had the rocker cover off for a couple of weeks while waiting on parts don't know If that would make a difference, it was covered though.

• grayracer513

Posted November 16, 2015 - 02:53 PM

Better have the cam cover off again and check the cam timing.  Sounds a lot like it skipped on you.

It's not completely uncommon for a valve to get hung up just far enough off the seat because of carbon on the stem, etc., that it affects compression, either.  While you're poking around in there, check the val;ve clearance.  If you find one much looser than it should be, try gently tapping the top of the lifter with a brass punch enough to make it "bounce shut" a couple of times; that may fix it for the time being. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Islay426

Posted November 17, 2015 - 10:16 AM

thanks man!

I'm fearing the worst for her as I've had 2 strokes go on me so I think I automatically go to piston! I'll check the timing and clearances this weekend and hopfully that will shed some light.

really appreciate the input this is the second time you've helped me out!

• Islay426

Posted January 01, 2016 - 10:01 AM

OK been a while since I posted in this but since then I have checked the timing and when I line up the line at the crank the dots on the cams just sit ever so slightly off but not really enough for a whole tooth. I'm not 100% but thought the chain was maybe a bit stretched. any ideas?

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.