Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • stevethe

Posted December 23, 2015 - 05:43 PM

I'm not so sure the KTMs are much lighter. Unless they have no flywheel like the YZ. Which does not help in off road.

All the manufactures lie about weight some more than others.

• Monk

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:04 PM

I'm not so sure the KTMs are much lighter. Unless they have no flywheel like the YZ. Which does not help in off road.

All the manufactures lie about weight some more than others.

Smaller motor, smaller components, cromoly frame etc etc. That being said, it does open up the question of reliability...

• KennyMc

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:07 PM

first of all stop taking the weight KTM advertises on their bikes as accurate. fuel weighs 6.2 or so lbs per gallon the enduro bikes hold 2.5 gallons usually so add at least 15 lbs to their advertised weight and you'll find the weights are a lot closer than you think.
i have not rode the KTM but i can tell you this new 450FX feels about 30 lbs lighter than my 2013 WR 450 was

If you've never ridden a newer KTM (13-16), you should if you can get the chance for comparison purposes.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:26 PM

If you've never ridden a newer KTM (13-16), you should if you can get the chance for comparison purposes.

ive ridden at least the 350 don't recall the trim exactly. the thing with KTM is they have some good things going for them. however im not sold on their reliability. in the past 10 years ive been riding ive never seen anyone have issues on any brand except KTM. there was one guy who put a hole in his yamaha crank case because he cased it on a rock! but besides that and flat tires, its always been a KTM that sat in the bed of a truck while the others rode for the day.

i also despise the company for advertising the weight with an empty tank i think its a marketing tactic because a lot of people cannot work a calculator apparently.

and if they made them in any other color besides orange!

and if they would lower the price a little i might be game.

but i do see things changing they put the SX motor in the XC-F i almost  bought one! but the out the door price was going to be just over 11,000!

this is one area that hurts KTM sales. but i do believe there is truth to the fact that when people pay more money there is a perceived value and apparently it is working...

so i cannot fault KTM for anything, according to them their marketing plan is working! but i think if yamaha would step up and offer a 350 along with brembo brakes and a hydro clutch as standard features they would really give KTM a run for the money because neither red, green or yellow is making enduro bikes anymore and now that yamahe is stepping up their game i think with only orange as competition in this segment they stand to gain a lot of respect with the moves they are making now..

• Monk

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:37 PM

ive ridden at least the 350 don't recall the trim exactly. the thing with KTM is they have some good things going for them. however im not sold on their reliability. in the past 10 years ive been riding ive never seen anyone have issues on any brand except KTM. there was one guy who put a hole in his yamaha crank case because he cased it on a rock! but besides that and flat tires, its always been a KTM that sat in the bed of a truck while the others rode for the day.
i also despise the company for advertising the weight with an empty tank i think its a marketing tactic because a lot of people cannot work a calculator apparently.

but i do see things changing they put the SX motor in the XC-F i almost bought one! but the out the door price was going to be just over 11,000!
this is one area that hurts KTM sales. but i do believe there is truth to the fact that when people pay more money there is a perceived value and apparently it is working...
so i cannot fault KTM for anything, according to them their marketing plan is working! but i think if yamaha would step up and offer a 350 along with brembo brakes and a hydro clutch as standard features they would really give KTM a run for the money because neither red, green or yellow is making enduro bikes anymore and now that yamahe is stepping up their game i think with only orange as competition in this segment they stand to gain a lot of respect with the moves they are making now..

Lol, I can get a 16 450xcf otd for $11k in Canada. You need to find a new dealer...

• KennyMc

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:41 PM

but i do see things changing they put the SX motor in the XC-F i almost bought one! but the out the door price was going to be just over 11,000!

Yea, I came off of an '07 WR450. I had the valves done in '13. First time anyone had ever turned a valve cover bolt on that bike. I put over 100 hours a year on my bikes. They put together a solid bike for sure. Never even had the valves checked. Only reason I did have the work done in '13 was to put the YZ cams in it. Valves were still good. Still replaced everything though. It was also CA plated ;)

I went to 350EXC as a second bike for the family. But it was such a different bike to ride compared to the WR. It was like riding a mtn bike. My first ride was up in the Sierra's and the thing just carved up the SSS trails we did. Amazingly different. I sold the WR and got a 300 XC-W. Sold that 6 months later as I found I just like the 4T style of riding better. So now I'm looking for a sister bike to the 350.......

The 350 stickered at $10,199. Got it for $10K OTD with a $200 store parts credit.

Edited by KennyMc, December 23, 2015 - 06:46 PM.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted December 23, 2015 - 06:46 PM

Lol, I can get a 16 450xcf otd for $11k in Canada. You need to find a new dealer...

if KTM would have put the SX motor in the XCF-W i would have bought it. the taller gearing the XC-F had simply would require too much modification to the sprockets to get the gearing where i need it in the technical that i ride. of if it came in a 6 speed i think the range would be overall wide enough for my needs.

but the price would still be hard to get over in either case.

• jrusher

Posted December 23, 2015 - 07:04 PM

God dammit. How the hell am I supposed to order a decal kit if I buy this bike ahahah.

The rad shrouds are abit longer in front and like others said and  rear fender,, I ordered decals for my FX and thought plastic was same as 450f  found out there bigger so i ordered some 250/450f shrouds so decals fit proper 

• jrusher

Posted December 23, 2015 - 07:15 PM

the graphics kit for the YZ will fit the FX.    nope they wont the shrouds are different 

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

Edited by jrusher, December 23, 2015 - 07:17 PM.

• KTMfinrider

Posted December 24, 2015 - 01:27 AM

The denial is strong with you...

:lol:

Best part was when he said he hasnt even ride new ktm. :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • philfell

Posted December 24, 2015 - 05:44 AM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1450964541.220576.jpg

Picked mine up the other day. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to ride it for a week or so.

Here in Reno the dealer wasn't budging on the over 10k otd price. A 2 hr drive to Roseville got me out the door for 8998.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted December 24, 2015 - 05:46 AM

:lol:

Best part was when he said he hasnt even ride new ktm. :D

well thats ok, the last ford i drove was my 1978 pinto and i wouldn't buy a ford, i've never driven a volvo but i wouldnt buy one of them either. ive never driven a hyundai or a kia and certain i would never buy one of them either.

do you need to ride a bike to decide you don't like them? the fact is most bikes ride very similar and i happen to like the yamaha. i had a honda xr250 when i started riding. swore i would never leave honda. got a crf 450x then wanted fuel injection so i got the 2013 wr 450.

i've ridden several KTM's in the past and felt they all had a very tractor like flat, torqey power delivery which is great for some terrain but not very exciting to ride in the desert. the new 450 and 350 xc-f caught my interest. i literally was at the dealership with my credit card in hand (this was my 3rd visit to see the bike 2016 KTM 450 XC-F) i even took a picture of it and texted it to my friend! was 90% sure i was going to buy it but this is why i stopped.

1. it has black rims (LOVE the look but riding in rocks they would be trashed the first ride out)

2. the gearing is way too tall i would have had to go down 1 tooth in front and up 3 in the rear just to get the low gearing i need (xcf-w would be a better choice but i wanted the SX engine PERIOD! end of story)

3. lot of people hate the 4CS forks i liked the idea of adjustability on the fly, but not ready to pay 11,000 and have to spend another 1k to get it right)

4. I already have a $900.00 Rekluse clutch for a yamaha that rekluse told me will fit in the YZ450FX I've had it less than 6 months and don't want to sell for 1/2 price and buy another for a KTM

5. I am not sold on KTM reliability, with yamaha ive already had a Wr for 113 hours in 2 years of riding and not 1 single hiccup.

With the yamaha i know exactly what i am getting, since the yz450fx uses the 5 speed from the WR i knew it would be perfect for what i ride.

besides all my riding gear is blue, white and black and i hate the color orange!

So if i am standing at the dealer already having buyers remorse before the purchase, i am not going to drop 11k on a bike that i already know doesn't suit me just because you and my riding buddies tell me how great they are. I've also owned also owned 2 corvette Z06's! a car that most people would give their left nut to own! but i sold the last one 2 years ago because it no longer interested me after 50,000 miles as my daily driver it just didn't fit for my needs anymore. so do i really need to ride a bike to know it won't suit my needs?

it's MY money if i was to be close minded and rule out something without trying it first i don't give a crap. if you guys like KTM so much go buy one! and stay out of the yamaha forum.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted December 24, 2015 - 05:49 AM

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1450964541.220576.jpg

Picked mine up the other day. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to ride it for a week or so.

Here in Reno the dealer wasn't budging on the over 10k otd price. A 2 hr drive to Roseville got me out the door for 8998.

thats the great thing about competition, some dealers hold out for the lazy shoppers and end up with no sale.

i had another dealer offer me his best price of over a grand otd more than i paid. i was OTD for 8700 and change. also got 500 yamaha blue bucks which i should have in about 6 weeks.

• motocrotts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 09:04 AM

but i do see things changing they put the SX motor in the XC-F i almost  bought one! but the out the door price was going to be just over 11,000!

Just think, after that you'd have to pay another 1K to get the suspension to work.  I dropped orange like a bad cold.  They are completely pricing themselves out of the market.

• Monk

Posted December 24, 2015 - 09:23 AM

Just think, after that you'd have to pay another 1K to get the suspension to work. I dropped orange like a bad cold. They are completely pricing themselves out of the market.

Lol, knock 20lbs off the FX, add a billet clutch basket combined with a hydraulic clutch, add a larger fuel tank, (suspension is really subjective as everyone should have it setup for themselves regardless of which brand), pump up the braking power of the FX with SS lines, and let me know how the "$11k" machine doesn't present some clear advantages over a FX?

Here is the real kicker though, both of you have never even ridden a 16 KTM so you don't even know what a $11k KTM is like to ride. You can't compare...

• TN Dirt Rider

Posted December 24, 2015 - 10:03 AM

I'm pretty sure the dealer here had the 450FX posted on their website at a shade under $8K, plus all the fees and taxes.  They don't show a price now since they don't have one in stock, but I just emailed the guy to see what kinda number he would have for it once the next one gets here.

• mobgma

Posted December 24, 2015 - 10:08 AM

Can you PM me where!?

• Monk

Posted December 24, 2015 - 10:10 AM

Can you PM me where!?

Valley Motorsports in Kelowna
RTR in Kamloops

• YHGEORGE

Posted December 24, 2015 - 10:11 AM

If you don't like orange KTM's there is a white version also. It looks pretty nice.

• KennyMc

Posted December 24, 2015 - 10:20 AM

Lol, knock 20lbs off the FX, add a billet clutch basket combined with a hydraulic clutch, add a larger fuel tank, (suspension is really subjective as everyone should have it setup for themselves regardless of which brand), pump up the braking power of the FX with SS lines, and let me know how the "$11k" machine doesn't present some clear advantages over a FX?

Here is the real kicker though, both of you have never even ridden a 16 KTM so you don't even know what a $11k KTM is like to ride. You can't compare...

He can do whatever the &%$#@! he wants to.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.