Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • stevethe

Posted December 23, 2015 - 08:00 AM

Just out of curiosity is the fx wired for lights.

• Monk

Posted December 23, 2015 - 08:16 AM

How come not the rear fender?

Has the battery box bolted to it...

• msgbean

Posted December 23, 2015 - 08:45 AM

Except the rear fender, yes...

It has a WR rear fender.  The tail light mounts are even there.

• mobgma

Posted December 23, 2015 - 10:43 AM

God dammit. How the hell am I supposed to order a decal kit if I buy this bike ahahah.

• TN Dirt Rider

Posted December 23, 2015 - 10:46 AM

I really like the concept of this bike, but the weight scares me. I'm back and forth between this or a KTM 450 SX-F. That light weight on the '16 KTM is very appealing.

I trail ride a lot, but also race (slowly) in the 40+ C class of a series where the course includes mx track, woods, and field sections.

What to do.......

• msgbean

Posted December 23, 2015 - 11:07 AM

God dammit. How the hell am I supposed to order a decal kit if I buy this bike ahahah.

the graphics kit for the YZ will fit the FX.

• Monk

Posted December 23, 2015 - 11:13 AM

I really like the concept of this bike, but the weight scares me. I'm back and forth between this or a KTM 450 SX-F. That light weight on the '16 KTM is very appealing.

I trail ride a lot, but also race (slowly) in the 40+ C class of a series where the course includes mx track, woods, and field sections.

What to do.......

Easily a 20lb difference between a FX and XCF, more so between a SXF and the FX. Yes, you could get the weight down but at what cost? Only reason I personally would consider a FX is because all my parts swap and I have the setup knowledge with the YZF which would transfer over well to the FX. From scratch, and keeping suspension work in mind, the KTM is going to be a much easier starting point...

• TN Dirt Rider

Posted December 23, 2015 - 12:34 PM

Easily a 20lb difference between a FX and XCF, more so between a SXF and the FX. Yes, you could get the weight down but at what cost? Only reason I personally would consider a FX is because all my parts swap and I have the setup knowledge with the YZF which would transfer over well to the FX. From scratch, and keeping suspension work in mind, the KTM is going to be a much easier starting point...

Yeah, 260'ish lbs compared to 227 for the SX-F is huge. Too bad I hate KTMs.

Local dealer is supposed to call me as soon as they get another FX in. I'm at least going to check it out.

• motosinko805

Posted December 23, 2015 - 01:12 PM

What to do.......

I'm on the same boat. With the fx having yz reliability and suspension, along with the fact that it isn't much heavier than my current rmz, I'll probably go with it.

• tomerb

Posted December 23, 2015 - 01:53 PM

KennyMc, on 22 Dec 2015 - 3:16 PM, said:

Yea, at first it was mid January but last I read (on here) was TBD. Sumtin about EPA and there peculiar way of looking at things :D

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1450822559.257356.jpg

The WR is on the CARB site now so it must be ready to be released........

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mobgma

Posted December 23, 2015 - 02:15 PM

What to do.......

2016 450 XCF is your answer if weight is an issue. I am torn between XCF and FX right now. The Yamaha is heavy but I hear it doesn't feel heavy when riding. I am coming off a CRF450X and I always said my next bike will be much lighter. 

• KennyMc

Posted December 23, 2015 - 02:36 PM

The WR is on the CARB site now so it must be ready to be released........

That would be nice :thumbsup:

• ckny

Posted December 23, 2015 - 02:42 PM

2016 450 XCF is your answer if weight is an issue. I am torn between XCF and FX right now. The Yamaha is heavy but I hear it doesn't feel heavy when riding. I am coming off a CRF450X and I always said my next bike will be much lighter.

It didn't feel any heavier than my 250FX.
I will be riding one again on the 26th for another opinion, but I loved the bike.

Edited by ckny, December 23, 2015 - 02:43 PM.

• tmeyer37

Posted December 23, 2015 - 03:32 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight in regards to the number of pounds it weighs on a scale. The weight distribution on Yamaha bikes has been on point since 06 so it all comes down to how the bike feels. I own an 06 YZ450f and it feels like a 250f compared to my buddies old 03 YZ450f and if I remember correctly the actual weight was identical. Yes a lighter bike will be easier to pick up when you fall over but where that weight is will make a huge difference in the way the bike feels.

I would pick up an FX over a KTM in a heart beat due to my obsession with Yamaha's in general but that's just me. I love my 06 but the new FX or WR seem very tempting. 

• mobgma

Posted December 23, 2015 - 04:51 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight in regards to the number of pounds it weighs on a scale. The weight distribution on Yamaha bikes has been on point since 06 so it all comes down to how the bike feels. I own an 06 YZ450f and it feels like a 250f compared to my buddies old 03 YZ450f and if I remember correctly the actual weight was identical. Yes a lighter bike will be easier to pick up when you fall over but where that weight is will make a huge difference in the way the bike feels.

I would pick up an FX over a KTM in a heart beat due to my obsession with Yamaha's in general but that's just me. I love my 06 but the new FX or WR seem very tempting. 

Agreed. It is more so about "felt" weight than just the weight of the bike.

• Monk

Posted December 23, 2015 - 04:54 PM

Agreed. It is more so about "felt" weight than just the weight of the bike.

Clearly none of you have owned a 70° Husaberg then... Felt "light" in motion but you aren't always in motion. Picking it up, pushing up a hill, dragging it over logs etc etc made for plenty of blood/sweat/tears...

• Bass Mechanic

Posted December 23, 2015 - 05:00 PM

Could someone with both a 2012-2015 WR and a FX post the weights of the front and rear of both bikes.......... 

i weighed my FX as it came from the dealer with the less than a gallon of 108 octane they ship with. i was actually removing the exhaust and header to see what it weighed compared to the titanium from FMF the exhaust and header together weighs 8.5 lbs much less than i was expecting. the muffler itself weighed 6.2lbs  the titanium 4.1 complete system with header and pipe weighs 5.1 lbs

while the exhaust was removed and my lithium battery the bike weighed 240.5 lbs so with it installed i would guess it weighs 249 if i were to guess the fuel itself probably weighed 4 lbs which would bring it right to 245. if i can save another 3 lbs with the exhaust it should be 242 with no fuel. (i like to find out the no fuel weight since KTM does it for a fair comparison) so with all of that and if you ran a 2016 KTM 450 XC-F with the exhaust mods, a lithium battery, kick starter removal kit and with both bikes full of fuel (ktm holds 2.5gal) i bet both bikes are the same weight within a pound of each other.

my overall assessment is that with the battery and exhaust system you can save 10 lbs in total. so that means the advertised 262 lbs will be 252 with a full tank of fuel

• Bass Mechanic

Posted December 23, 2015 - 05:05 PM

What to do.......

first of all stop taking the weight KTM advertises on their bikes as accurate. fuel weighs 6.2 or so lbs per gallon the enduro bikes hold 2.5 gallons usually so add at least 15 lbs to their advertised weight and you'll find the weights are a lot closer than you think.

i have not rode the KTM but i can tell you this new 450FX feels about 30 lbs lighter than my 2013 WR 450 was

• Bass Mechanic

Posted December 23, 2015 - 05:13 PM

2016 450 XCF is your answer if weight is an issue. I am torn between XCF and FX right now. The Yamaha is heavy but I hear it doesn't feel heavy when riding. I am coming off a CRF450X and I always said my next bike will be much lighter. they weigh the same with a full tank of fuel in both and a few simple modifications to the FX will bring them within a pound of each other.

what you end up spending over 11 grand for a KTM verses the 8800 for the yamaha even if you put a 1k in titanium exhaust, a 150 Li battery you still wont come close to the cost of a KTM and you dont have to put another 1k into the crappy 4CS shocks everyone complains about.

• Monk

Posted December 23, 2015 - 05:16 PM

2016 450 XCF is your answer if weight is an issue. I am torn between XCF and FX right now. The Yamaha is heavy but I hear it doesn't feel heavy when riding. I am coming off a CRF450X and I always said my next bike will be much lighter. they weigh the same with a full tank of fuel in both and a few simple modifications to the FX will bring them within a pound of each other.
what you end up spending over 11 grand for a KTM verses the 8800 for the yamaha even if you put a 1k in titanium exhaust, a 150 Li battery you still wont come close to the cost of a KTM and you dont have to put another 1k into the crappy 4CS shocks everyone complains about.

The denial is strong with you...

Edited by Monk, December 23, 2015 - 05:16 PM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.