Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • Bass Mechanic

Posted December 20, 2015 - 04:59 PM

oh and i forgot to mention i paid $8494.88 my dealer did not charge me any dealer handling fees, no set up fee and no destination charges. with tax out the door and OHV registration was $8741.23

Also got $500 worth Blue bucks (visa gift card) 15% off all my accessories and they let me pay with my capital one Venture card where i get 2x reward points! so i got another 18,000 points (worth about 180 dollars in air travel.)

i have to say i have had by far the best experiences with Vickery Motorsports of Denver on both purchases. Ask for Brent Miller and tell him Kevin from Colorado Springs sent ya!

i am fairly certain nobody got that good of a deal on a just released bike!

• msgbean

Posted December 20, 2015 - 06:33 PM

When it's in the bush is when the real test comes. Compared to a older WR model, that "amazing" advantage will become less so. The bike is considerably taller and that alone will make for some frustrating times...

I'm coming off of a '12 WR450 and I've been in the bush and believe me it is so much more amazing than my uncorked WR.

• Monk

Posted December 20, 2015 - 07:11 PM

I'm coming off of a '12 WR450 and I've been in the bush and believe me it is so much more amazing than my uncorked WR.

OK... :rolleyes:

• Andrew Puetz

Posted December 20, 2015 - 07:35 PM

This is what I would like to know...  How it compares to an uncorked WR.  My WR seems so heavy at times but it has so much power.  I think this FX will be my next bike.  Any additional WR to FX comparison would be great!

• the go-devil

Posted December 20, 2015 - 09:01 PM

When it's in the bush is when the real test comes. Compared to a older WR model, that "amazing" advantage will become less so. The bike is considerably taller and that alone will make for some frustrating times...

I don't know if I'm battle hardened or my mind is warped from riding the 12 YZ450F with satan's throttle on what I sometimes I question are game trails, but from what I can tell so far the FX will be a breeze to control in those conditions and will not be far off, if at all from any WR I've been on in the past.
I'm only saying this to promote how much of a pussycat the FX is IMO.

• KennyMc

Posted December 20, 2015 - 10:10 PM

This is what I would like to know... How it compares to an uncorked WR. My WR seems so heavy at times but it has so much power. I think this FX will be my next bike. Any additional WR to FX comparison would be great!

I'd like to know more about how it compares to the new WR 450 since they pretty much share the same ergo's. Not what mags say about them but what schmoes like us do :D

• RockerYZWR

Posted December 21, 2015 - 12:24 AM

I'd like to know more about how it compares to the new WR 450 since they pretty much share the same ergo's. Not what mags say about them but what schmoes like us do :D

You beat me to it. The new WR seems to be on about as equal footing as it's ever been with the YZ (FX), minus all the removable crap. All I have to go on, besides my good ol' two stroke is my ever-loveable 11 WR450. Never got to ride a 12-15 WR, but heard they were way better. The new WR must be light years better than that.

• Andrew Puetz

Posted December 21, 2015 - 06:40 AM

That would be great, however, I don't know how many people will put significant hours on each 16 other than a magazine to get a good side by side comparison.

• KennyMc

Posted December 21, 2015 - 06:59 AM

That would be great, however, I don't know how many people will put significant hours on each 16 other than a magazine to get a good side by side comparison.

Yea, and I haven't heard of anyone getting the WR yet. Last I heard I thought it got pushed to January.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted December 21, 2015 - 07:42 AM

Yea, and I haven't heard of anyone getting the WR yet. Last I heard I thought it got pushed to January.

It got pushed out TBD due to the fact Yamaha cannot get epa approval for it yet. My dealer said something about Audi having some issue with their cars for the same reason.
Initially I ordered a WR and then switched to the FX and glad I did!
Today if I get time I'm going to pull the exhaust off and weigh it. I am thinking about going FMF full titanium the whole thing with header weighs 5.1 lbs between that and the battery I swapped to lithium I think I found another 10 lbs in weight loss

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yzdaddy

Posted December 21, 2015 - 08:04 AM

A friend of mine bought one and we took turns with it on the race track yesterday. You may see a lot of them sold for race track use. I did like the motor on the jumps and the handling was pretty good for being outta the box. At the end of the day my bud said he thinks he may like it better than his 15 450 yz.

• Andrew Puetz

Posted December 21, 2015 - 08:08 AM

It got pushed out TBD due to the fact Yamaha cannot get epa approval for it yet. My dealer said something about Audi having some issue with their cars for the same reason.
Initially I ordered a WR and then switched to the FX and glad I did!
Today if I get time I'm going to pull the exhaust off and weigh it. I am thinking about going FMF full titanium the whole thing with header weighs 5.1 lbs between that and the battery I swapped to lithium I think I found another 10 lbs in weight loss

Can you get a spark arrestor for the Full titanium system?

• msgbean

Posted December 21, 2015 - 08:14 AM

Since all three bikes supposedly share the same engine except for the ECU I do believe this will be the best uncorked WR ever.  Once you remove the normal garbage, change the pipe, and put an ECU from the FX in it it should be very comparable to the FX except for some additional weight and a heavier flywheel.  So you have to ask yourself do I want to buy a bike that cost $100 more only to put several hundreds more into it to make it like the FX.  Why not just start with the FX and add a good light?  The flywheel on the FX might be an issue to some people since the weight is the same as a YZ.  One of the things I love about the FX is the acceleration.  It winds up so fast but with control and just feels amazing.  I've had nothing but rain and snow so I've only ridden in mud and I have had no problem controlling the beast.  My question will be how does it handle in some gnarly single track with a lighter flywheel?  I won't know until spring. You can always add a heavier flywheel but I hope I wont have to because I love the acceleration so much.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted December 21, 2015 - 08:37 AM

Since all three bikes supposedly share the same engine except for the ECU I do believe this will be the best uncorked WR ever. Once you remove the normal garbage, change the pipe, and put an ECU from the FX in it it should be very comparable to the FX except for some additional weight and a heavier flywheel. So you have to ask yourself do I want to buy a bike that cost $100 more only to put several hundreds more into it to make it like the FX. Why not just start with the FX and add a good light? The flywheel on the FX might be an issue to some people since the weight is the same as a YZ. One of the things I love about the FX is the acceleration. It winds up so fast but with control and just feels amazing. I've had nothing but rain and snow so I've only ridden in mud and I have had no problem controlling the beast. My question will be how does it handle in some gnarly single track with a lighter flywheel? I won't know until spring. You can always add a heavier flywheel but I hope I wont have to because I love the acceleration so much.

I believe the flywheel as well as all the engine + transmission components are identical to the wr. The only thing different between them is the headlight, tail light, dash display, FI light low, fuel light, tail light and rad fan.
Difference of 9 lbs.
Oh and the exhaust. But mechanically the FX shares the same crank flywheel stator and cams as the WR but the WR Has a non tunable ecu.
So if you replace that and the exhaust you got the same thing as the fx with the headlight and other goodies

• msgbean

Posted December 21, 2015 - 09:03 AM

I believe the flywheel as well as all the engine + transmission components are identical to the wr. The only thing different between them is the headlight, tail light, dash display, FI light low, fuel light, tail light and rad fan.
Difference of 9 lbs.
Oh and the exhaust. But mechanically the FX shares the same crank flywheel stator and cams as the WR but the WR Has a non tunable ecu.
So if you replace that and the exhaust you got the same thing as the fx with the headlight and other goodies

That is not totally correct.  The engine components (minus the trans) are identical to the YZ including the cam profiles except for the crank and flywheel.  The YZ and WR share the same crank but the WR has a heavier flywheel.  The FX and The WR share the same flywheel but the FX has a lighter crank so that it is similar to the YZ.  If fact it is only 2% heavier than the YZ.  So the point is you will spend a minimum of $400-500 (exhaust and ECU) to make the WR like the FX with a heavier flywheel or $200 for a flywheel to make the FX like the WR.  This is all mute of course if you are needing a green sticker bike then the choice is obviously a WR which is not really green sticker once you open it up.

• KennyMc

Posted December 21, 2015 - 09:08 AM

Cause I need a green sticker bike to get it plated. ;)

• YHGEORGE

Posted December 21, 2015 - 09:21 AM

moot.

• stevethe

Posted December 21, 2015 - 09:42 AM

That is not totally correct. The engine components (minus the trans) are identical to the YZ including the cam profiles except for the crank and flywheel. The YZ and WR share the same crank but the WR has a heavier flywheel. The FX and The WR share the same flywheel but the FX has a lighter crank so that it is similar to the YZ. If fact it is only 2% heavier than the YZ. So the point is you will spend a minimum of $400-500 (exhaust and ECU) to make the WR like the FX with a heavier flywheel or $200 for a flywheel to make the FX like the WR. This is all mute of course if you are needing a green sticker bike then the choice is obviously a WR which is not really green sticker once you open it up.

Nope. The FX and WR share the same crank. Look it up.
It further appears the FX and WR crank and flywheel are the same. The YZ uses different part numbers.

Edited by stevethe, December 21, 2015 - 09:52 AM.

• KennyMc

Posted December 21, 2015 - 10:04 AM

moot.

To who?

Oh, spelling Nazi :lol:

Edited by KennyMc, December 21, 2015 - 10:50 AM.

• Andrew Puetz

Posted December 21, 2015 - 10:24 AM

Since all three bikes supposedly share the same engine except for the ECU I do believe this will be the best uncorked WR ever.  Once you remove the normal garbage, change the pipe, and put an ECU from the FX in it it should be very comparable to the FX except for some additional weight and a heavier flywheel.  So you have to ask yourself do I want to buy a bike that cost $100 more only to put several hundreds more into it to make it like the FX.  Why not just start with the FX and add a good light?  The flywheel on the FX might be an issue to some people since the weight is the same as a YZ.  One of the things I love about the FX is the acceleration.  It winds up so fast but with control and just feels amazing.  I've had nothing but rain and snow so I've only ridden in mud and I have had no problem controlling the beast.  My question will be how does it handle in some gnarly single track with a lighter flywheel?  I won't know until spring. You can always add a heavier flywheel but I hope I wont have to because I love the acceleration so much.

This is more or less, why I asked the question and opened the thread in the WR forum!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.