Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • KennyMc

Posted April 09, 2016 - 05:47 AM

He said "gentleman" :lol:

• cowboyona426

Posted April 13, 2016 - 05:41 AM

Question- does anyone know if the "launch control" button from the F model can be added to the FX?

• cubera

Posted April 13, 2016 - 08:17 AM

It's a personal preference issue. IMHO the pegs on the stock Yamaha are perfect. Helps me keep my knees into the bike. I also run the rear brake pedal very low so just about anyone who rides my bikes would find that very awkward for them Different strokes for different folks.

• grayracer513

Posted April 13, 2016 - 08:26 AM

Question- does anyone know if the "launch control" button from the F model can be added to the FX?

Not at the moment.  Launch control would be tied to the ECU directly.  The handlebar button would simply signal the ECU to enter that mode, so two things would need to be in place: The ECU would have to have that function built into it, and there would need to be a free connector pin for the missing lead to the button.  Given the different purposes the two bikes are built for, I doubt that either is true, but it could be.

• cowboyona426

Posted April 13, 2016 - 09:02 AM

Not at the moment.  Launch control would be tied to the ECU directly.  The handlebar button would simply signal the ECU to enter that mode, so two things would need to be in place: The ECU would have to have that function built into it, and there would need to be a free connector pin for the missing lead to the button.  Given the different purposes the two bikes are built for, I doubt that either is true, but it could be.

All understood.  I know having said button on my 2012 KX is beneficial for woods riding because you can use the "launch control" mode to get smoother, more tractable power in the tight and nasty stuff.  But that's on a bike built for MX... the lower gearing and higher flywheel mass on the FX probably negates any benefit you'd get from running in the "launch control" mode.  Mostly just thinking out loud here making plans for a bike I still don't own yet... it's a sickness.

• stevenfallover

Posted April 24, 2016 - 07:43 AM

OK, 602 miles, still a heavy pig. But I still like riding it. Great suspension. Just rode a 2016 KTM350 XC with tuned up suspension. YZFX won that battle, the KTM was lighter (so is my truck) but the FX has that great motor, and much better suspension. Seems to be wearing very well (plastics etc). Can't wait to see how it does in the high technical riding we have in Colorado. All we have is high desert now with nasty rocks. Did ride a very technical trail with it, worked me over compared to my 300XCW and 200XCW but it is a 450. The great thing is that it did not even think of boiling over. I did manage to burn through a set of rear brake pads and tires. Time to get a set of X30. 

So to recap once again this is a great bike. Love the power, love the suspension. Still heavy, numbers do not lie.

Now I better go learn to ride. 

• keeseckb

Posted April 25, 2016 - 09:56 AM

I got mine broken in and have one ride on some tight woods and another ride on pine forest faster single track. The bike is heavy putting in on the stand and loading into the truck, but does not feel heavy when riding. only in the super slow tight twistys can you feel the weight going side to side. 

The gearing is amazing. Any slow single track, second gear is perfect, once it opens up a bit third is perfect. The bike has so much usable power and is very smooth at low RPM I hardly have to use the clutch. I'm coming from a two stroke though so "not using the clutch much" might be more than some are used to. I was taught to use the clutch in almost every corner and most all situations. Only in the apex of a corner do I have the clutch ready just to be sure to prevent a stall. If if does stall, the electric start fires it right back up before you've even come to a stop. First gear is very low, but it is handy for those super technical trails where you are basically at a stand still most of the time. I can take off in first gear without using the throttle and ride around the parking area just letting it idle, hand off the throttle. Try that with a YZ450F. 

The suspension is absolutely incredible as well. Only thing I'm going to do is bump up a spring rate in the front due to my weight/speed. 

I rode a slightly woods modified YZ450F before I bought this bike and I still cannot believe how different they are. The FX is just so much friendlier and versatile. In the tight woods we ride, the YZ450F was not fun. My FX makes the tight stuff enjoyable again. To sum up, I don't think the 450FX is the "best" at any one discipline of riding, but it is very good at about everything (MX, Woods, Desert) which I ride a little of all three so I am very happy with the bike. 

• RMK800

Posted April 25, 2016 - 07:46 PM

^^nice review. The FX is hard to beat In the Desert, but that is besides the point. I found that I could stall it sometimes in the tighter stuff. After a month of good riding I found by turning up the idle just slightly helped. I've found I've killed it on some very steep down hill soft desert where your sliding. This no longer happens with a slightly higher idle.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted April 30, 2016 - 06:54 AM

My reckluse eliminates any stalling issues there might have been, and i now have 20 hours on my bike and still love it.

all my friends are jealous even some that ride orange.

i also got my CLAKE 2 lever on last weekend.

i cannot say enough great things about the clake! unfortunately i took a spill and jacked up my left knee so ill be recovering from that for a bit before i can ride again.

but we did some nasty down hill rocky single track and the LHRB came in very handy!

my bike feels complete now.

the only thing i would like to do now is get a different set of handlebars because with my steering damper i have only 1 bar clamp position and i would like to move them forwards some.

so i want to get a pro taper enduro bend, tilt them forward a little and a little higher to make riding standing up a little more comfortable.

• ckny

Posted April 30, 2016 - 10:29 AM

My reckluse eliminates any stalling issues there might have been, and i now have 20 hours on my bike and still love it.
all my friends are jealous even some that ride orange.

i also got my CLAKE 2 lever on last weekend.
i cannot say enough great things about the clake! unfortunately i took a spill and jacked up my left knee so ill be recovering from that for a bit before i can ride again.
but we did some nasty down hill rocky single track and the LHRB came in very handy!
my bike feels complete now.
the only thing i would like to do now is get a different set of handlebars because with my steering damper i have only 1 bar clamp position and i would like to move them forwards some.
so i want to get a pro taper enduro bend, tilt them forward a little and a little higher to make riding standing up a little more comfortable.

I have a Scotts damper and can go to position 3. If you want a top mount that lets you run position 4 I can point you in the right direction

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jeffrey Dyment

Posted May 01, 2016 - 10:48 AM

New to the forum and I would just like to add I picked up my 450FX last week.  Got it for 10k CAD all in with tall seat, bush guards and plate.  Bike was set by the dealership for my weight (250 lbs).  Ordered some risers for the bars and waiting patiently for IMS to come out with lowered foot pegs in June to help with my 6'3" frame.

Have a total of 1 1/2 hours on it so far and a oil change.  Was hoping to be out today but it's raining...  :banghead:

Would also like to add, I came from riding a DR650 modified for offroad as much as I could get it, had a blast on single tracks with it, crashed lots, laughed lots and rode more.  I'm happy to say...I don't find the 450FX heavy...AT ALL :) !  I actually lost 100+ lbs so this bike is a dream for me to ride.  Has some downright scary power from what I'm used to, the tire comes up a lot more than the DR650...unintentionally but I think we're going to have a wonderful relationship!

My only complaint so far is the rear tire seems a little squirrely,  and going from changing the oil 1-2 times a season to 1-2 rides.  But oh well, the tire will be changed when it's worn and me working on the bike more will help me learn it better.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 474232_10152970790855727_1901982639_o_zps10cde63f.jpg
  • 13043655_10157058823705727_5448424409282307592_n.jpg

Edited by Jeffrey Dyment, May 01, 2016 - 11:14 AM.

• GHILL28

Posted May 01, 2016 - 11:15 AM

What's the oil capacity on the 450FX motor?  Is it the same as the regular 450F?  If that's the case, change it early and change it often.  There's not much in there, and if you are riding slow clutch-heavy stuff, it'll burn through fast.

• Jeffrey Dyment

Posted May 01, 2016 - 11:41 AM

What's the oil capacity on the 450FX motor?  Is it the same as the regular 450F?  If that's the case, change it early and change it often.  There's not much in there, and if you are riding slow clutch-heavy stuff, it'll burn through fast.

1 liter with a filter change.  Believe it's 900 without changing the filter, don't quote me on that though, I don't have the manual beside me.  Manual stated every 7.5 hours for oil change but more knowledgeable people than myself told me every 5 hours as oil is cheaper than repairs, so I'm going to go with that to be on the safe side.  The Rotella 15w40 comes on sale quite often at TSC for the 20L bucket and was highly recommended.

• GHILL28

Posted May 01, 2016 - 11:42 AM

That's a bit higher than the 450F, but still a little on the low side. Must be more capacity with the starter.

• blbills

Posted May 01, 2016 - 12:12 PM

My only complaint so far is the rear tire seems a little squirrely,  and going from changing the oil 1-2 times a season to 1-2 rides.  But oh well, the tire will be changed when it's worn and me working on the bike more will help me learn it better.  

Check your tire pressure. That's what I thought about my rear tire initially too. Once I dropped it down to 11-13psi it actually felt quite good.

• blbills

Posted May 01, 2016 - 12:15 PM

That's a bit higher than the 450F, but still a little on the low side. Must be more capacity with the starter.

Actually I'm pretty sure it's the same as the 450F. Don't have my manual in front of me but from memory its .75L with a filter change. I think it holds close to 1L but that's only if you do a complete tear-down.

• RMK800

Posted May 01, 2016 - 01:16 PM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1462137330.145759.jpg

.67 without filter change
.69 with filter change

1L is with the bike fully dissembled

I put .80 with or without oil change. Never had any issue with oil coming out the breather hose.

Edited by RMK800, May 01, 2016 - 01:19 PM.

• Jeffrey Dyment

Posted May 01, 2016 - 03:31 PM

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1462137330.145759.jpg

.67 without filter change
.69 with filter change

1L is with the bike fully dissembled

I put .80 with or without oil change. Never had any issue with oil coming out the breather hose.

Seems I was mistaken.  I added a little under a liter (probably .90-.95).  I changed the filter and drained it pretty well holding the bike on a 45 degree angle on both side for a couple minutes to get as much out as possible for its first change.  The sight glass is in spec so I won't have to drain any.  Not sure why I had 1 liter with filter change on the brain...

• cowboyona426

Posted May 01, 2016 - 06:12 PM

I'm happy to say that after months of planning, thinking things over and pleading with my wife, this happened yesterday:

IMG_20160430_160857476_zpshccberls.jpg

I've only tooled around the house on it so far, but man what a bike.

Edited by grayracer513, May 03, 2016 - 01:53 PM.

• RMK800

Posted May 01, 2016 - 06:48 PM

^^ Your going to love it!

Edited by RMK800, May 01, 2016 - 06:49 PM.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.