Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2016 - 10:54 AM

It's a discussion forum, not a third grade playground. 

• BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted April 02, 2016 - 10:13 AM

I for one would never put a 12 tooth on my fx. The thing is a handful with stock gearing off idle in slippery/ grabby conditions. Almost looped it twice, it happens so fast. Faster than my clutch finger anyways.

I don't have a problem stalling either so.........

Edited by BolinJrsPit Crew, April 02, 2016 - 10:16 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 02, 2016 - 10:38 AM

I for one would never put a 12 tooth on my fx. The thing is a handful with stock gearing off idle in slippery/ grabby conditions. Almost looped it twice, it happens so fast. Faster than my clutch finger anyways.

I don't have a problem stalling either so.........

Yeah but everyone knows that gearing it down makes it less jerky and less likely to loop  :facepalm:

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted April 02, 2016 - 12:45 PM

We've done it on 2 FI YZ450Fs and I've run a 12 tooth on my WR with a YZ exhaust cam and various maps with no problems.   Throttle control, clutch control, move your weight forward, no problem.   If looping is a problem on a FI YZ450F, change the map.  That is why Yamaha makes a programmer.  I trust both of you have tested this ?

One of our newbie riders looped his WR450F several times, but that was a case of too much bike for a newbie, not anything else.  He would have looped or stalled with 13 tooth as well.  Weight too far back, whiskey throttle, bad result.

The 12 tooth does make it way smoother, assuming you know how to be smooth with the throttle.  If you are jerky with the throttle it won't matter if you have a 12 or a 13 tooth on it, it will launch.  With the 12 tooth you can take it down to idle and tractor along in the technical stuff.  When it opens up, grab 2nd gear if you are worried about looping.

The YZFX and YZF engines are the same except for tuning.   There is a reason the FX has the low first gear gearing it does.  I've yet to read a single magazine complain that 1st was too low or that the bike was uncontrollable with it.

I just did a bunch of winter riding with my WR in all kinds of conditions, including getting caught in the first snow ride without studded tires.  Including riding in spring thaws with mud on ice and thawed wet grass and icy logs.  Never looped once. Guys who rode my bike commented how controllable it was.  Not a single person called it loopy.  Most of this was on the stock map.

Don't knock it until you try it.

P3170058.JPG

P3250067.JPG

P3170040.JPG

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, April 02, 2016 - 12:57 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 02, 2016 - 01:01 PM

We've done it on 2 FI YZ450Fs and I've run a 12 tooth on my WR with a YZ exhaust cam and various maps with no problems.   Throttle control, clutch control, move your weight forward, no problem.   If looping is a problem on a FI YZ450F, change the map.  That is why Yamaha makes a programmer.  I trust both of you have tested this ?

One of our newbie riders looped his WR450F several times, but that was a case of too much bike for a newbie, not anything else.  He would have looped or stalled with 13 tooth as well.  Weight too far back, whiskey throttle, bad result.

The 12 tooth does make it way smoother, assuming you know how to be smooth with the throttle.  If you are jerky with the throttle it won't matter if you have a 12 or a 13 tooth on it, it will launch.  With the 12 tooth you can take it down to idle and tractor along in the technical stuff.  When it opens up, grab 2nd gear if you are worried about looping.

The YZFX and YZF engines are the same except for tuning.   There is a reason the FX has the low first gear gearing it does.  I've yet to read a single magazine complain that 1st was too low or that the bike was uncontrollable with it.

I just did a bunch of winter riding with my WR in all kinds of conditions, including getting caught in the first snow ride without studded tires.  Including riding in spring thaws with mud on ice and thawed wet grass and icy logs.  Never looped once. Guys who rode my bike commented how controllable it was.  Not a single person called it loopy.  Most of this was on the stock map.

Don't knock it until you try it.

attachicon.gifP3170058.JPG

attachicon.gifP3250067.JPG

attachicon.gifP3170040.JPG

Right

• grayracer513

Posted April 03, 2016 - 10:36 AM

The YZFX and YZF engines are the same except for tuning.  

Spare me.  The FX flywheel has at least twice the inertia mass of the YZ. 

• KennyMc

Posted April 03, 2016 - 04:38 PM

Spare me. The FX flywheel has at least twice the inertia mass of the YZ.

Well, besides that :D

• cowboyona426

Posted April 04, 2016 - 10:16 AM

Are any of you FX owners putting an hour meter on the bike, or just using the tuner to read the engine hours?  I like the idea of a stand-alone meter for ease of reading.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 04, 2016 - 12:09 PM

Peg height

I've measured the AL framed WR's, and the new 'flipped head' WR and FX, and it seems the pegs are 1.25" higher off the ground on the new bikes (accounting for static sag at 0")

That seems insanely high....

• blbills

Posted April 04, 2016 - 01:01 PM

I can vouch that the peg height is roughly one inch higher than the older WR's.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motocrotts

Posted April 04, 2016 - 01:09 PM

Are any of you FX owners putting an hour meter on the bike, or just using the tuner to read the engine hours?  I like the idea of a stand-alone meter for ease of reading.

Yes, got a Pro taper hour meter on mine.  Wireless to boot.

• NW_drZ

Posted April 04, 2016 - 03:25 PM

Peg height

I've measured the AL framed WR's, and the new 'flipped head' WR and FX, and it seems the pegs are 1.25" higher off the ground on the new bikes (accounting for static sag at 0")

That seems insanely high....

The whole new generation WR / YZFX is much bigger everywhere than the previous generation WR's and YZ's.  When i went from my 11 WR to my FX,  I couldn't believe how much taller and bigger the bike felt overall.  Not surprised about the peg height.  Ground clearance is taller as well.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 04, 2016 - 04:49 PM

The whole new generation WR / YZFX is much bigger everywhere than the previous generation WR's and YZ's.  When i went from my 11 WR to my FX,  I couldn't believe how much taller and bigger the bike felt overall.  Not surprised about the peg height.  Ground clearance is taller as well.

Yeah, unless i can alter this, it's a deal breaker for me. 

I can't bend my right knee that much to even ride it....

• NW_drZ

Posted April 04, 2016 - 06:37 PM

Yeah, unless i can alter this, it's a deal breaker for me.

I can't bend my right knee that much to even ride it....

Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully there is a way to set it up for you as these generation yamahas are dialed in. Especially the FX models. I know their are companies making offset foot pegs (DRC to name one), but I doubt it's an inch drop. I know you just got that 430rr (I was looking at the 350rr hard before getting my 250FX), are you considering the 450FX?. Are you happy with the 430? Seems like a great bike. Sorry if you already answered this in the Beta sub forum.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 04, 2016 - 06:48 PM

Sorry to hear that man. Hopefully there is a way to set it up for you as these generation yamahas are dialed in. Especially the FX models. I know their are companies making offset foot pegs (DRC to name one), but I doubt it's an inch drop. I know you just got that 430rr (I was looking at the 350rr hard before getting my 250FX), are you considering the 450FX?. Are you happy with the 430? Seems like a great bike. Sorry if you already answered this in the Beta sub forum.

Yes, very happy with the 430RR. 

Very civilized, or agressive if you want.

Incredibly good handling; the best handling dirtbike that I can remember...

Not quite enough brute force for Desert or speed, however.

I have a YZ'd WR now that needs to go,  and I've had track bikes in the past, but the e-start is now a must have.

Yeah, the DRC is only 5mm of drop

SystemTec used to make a 20mm drop bracket, but nothing for the '14+ framed bikes....

Fastway pegs are a 15mm drop.

Can anyone take a couple pics for me?  

Right side, peg mounting bracket visible

Left side, peg mounting bracket visible.

Can't seem to find anything close enough on the web.

Want to see why SystemTec said it wasn't possible to make a lower bracket, in our conversation...

• RMK800

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:33 PM

Does this help.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1459827232.525713.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1459827245.533847.jpg

• RMK800

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:37 PM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1459827429.248349.jpg

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1459827450.953569.jpg

• mobgma

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:47 PM

What plastic covers are those RMK?

• RMK800

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:49 PM

acerbis, but they don't fit right on the clutch side.

Edited by RMK800, April 04, 2016 - 07:51 PM.

• stevethe

Posted April 04, 2016 - 07:53 PM

One of the problems I had with my 16 WR450 foot pegs that I gather are the same as the fx is they are heavily tilted up on the ends. Making it very hard to ride the bike. It took a lot of grinding to get them next to flat. That also lowered them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.