Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • washington_rider

Posted March 29, 2016 - 10:21 AM

My dealer sent a picture of mine ready to go, picking her up tomorrow! Moving up from '13 WR450. Must say I've been waiting for this bike since before I bought the '13.

Also my 2 cents on the subject, being 6'1 240lbs the fact everyone is concerned with 17 lbs difference is so obnoxious. If Yamaha reliability is gonna mean I have to deal with the extra weight, I say feel free to tack another 5 lbs on there haus.

Edited by washington_rider, March 29, 2016 - 10:29 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2016 - 01:19 PM

If a 4 stroke is stalling in tight stuff, you need to check the idle mixture, the idle RPM and the gearing.

You haven't spent much time on a YZ450, have you?

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted March 29, 2016 - 02:07 PM

You haven't spent much time on a YZ450, have you?

As a matter of fact, I coached a fellow rider regear his 2014 YZ450F to 12/52.  I've ridden it a couple times.  It made a huge difference.     People told him/me that it would be geared too low if he did that.  We also bumped up the idle speed a bit.

Still a bit too fast in 1st for some sections, but it really helped.  An experienced rider has very little trouble with it now.   Stock, it was terrible.

The biggest problem with that bike is it can be very hard to restart if you flame it. 

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, March 29, 2016 - 02:09 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2016 - 02:17 PM

Hot starting is a tuning issue.  Any YZ450 geared that low is going to be difficult to manage in first gear at low speeds; jerking and lurching on tip-in and such.  I'd never gear one that low under any circumstance. 

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted March 29, 2016 - 07:13 PM

Hot starting is a tuning issue.  Any YZ450 geared that low is going to be difficult to manage in first gear at low speeds; jerking and lurching on tip-in and such.  I'd never gear one that low under any circumstance. 

You'd be wrong about the jerking and lurching. It is, in fact, smoother because at any given speed the engine is turning over faster.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 30, 2016 - 07:21 AM

You'd be wrong about the jerking and lurching. It is, in fact, smoother because at any given speed the engine is turning over faster.

Do you argue with yourself when no one else is around?  Or do you just like to argue with everyone on this forum?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 30, 2016 - 12:54 PM

You need to stop and think about what you just typed,  for a second....

• grayracer513

Posted March 30, 2016 - 01:17 PM

Think it will help?

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted March 30, 2016 - 03:23 PM

Have you guys ever put a 12 tooth sprocket on a fuel injected 450 ?  Instead of talking like you know it all and telling people how it works, why don't you try it ?  15 minutes and $20 is all it takes. 

We've done it on 4 fuel injected Yamaha bikes now.   All  the owners were happier with the 12 tooth than the 13 or 14 they had on previously.  So either all these guys were mistaken OR you guys don't know what you are talking about.

And... check out the low gear on the YZ450FX.  It is probably pretty close to a WR running a 12 tooth sprocket.  So Yamaha is wrong too ?  Give me a break !

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, March 30, 2016 - 03:24 PM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted March 30, 2016 - 03:28 PM

You need to stop and think about what you just typed,  for a second....

Engines run smoother at higher RPMs.  4 strokes get rough when loaded near idle speed.  That is when they lurch.  Gearing a bike down means that at a given speed in 1st gear, the engine is turning faster, thus smoother and it is less likely to stall.  Comprende ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 30, 2016 - 03:39 PM

Engines run smoother at higher RPMs.  4 strokes get rough when loaded near idle speed.  That is when they lurch.  Gearing a bike down means that at a given speed in 1st gear, the engine is turning faster, thus smoother and it is less likely to stall.  Comprende ?

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Unbelievable.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted March 30, 2016 - 04:02 PM

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Unbelievable.

You've seen this, right ?  The gearing on the FX is equivalent to adding 14 teeth to the YZ450F gearing ?  Which do you think runs smoother at low ground speed, the YZ450F or the YZ450FX ?

121415-2016-yamaha-yz450fx-yz450fx-transmission-ratios4.jpg

I guess Yamaha is stupid, gearing a it so low.   And yet none of the magazines complained about it and at least 1 magazine burnt the clutch out on their KTM 450 XCF because it wasn't geared correctly.  Huh.

But what would Yamaha know about building a good dirt bike ?  You guys obviously know better than Yamaha.

Stock YZ450F is 13/48.   My buddy rides 12/52.   (48+14)/13 = 4.77 final ratio <- equivalent YZ450FX ratio.    52/12 = 4.333    Like my buddy says, it could be just a bit lower.

You better call up Yamaha and tell them how terrible their FX gearing is.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, March 30, 2016 - 04:12 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 30, 2016 - 04:27 PM

You've seen this, right ?  The gearing on the FX is equivalent to adding 14 teeth to the YZ450F gearing ?  Which do you think runs smoother at low ground speed, the YZ450F or the YZ450FX ?

attachicon.gif121415-2016-yamaha-yz450fx-yz450fx-transmission-ratios4.jpg

I guess Yamaha is stupid, gearing a it so low.   And yet none of the magazines complained about it and at least 1 magazine burnt the clutch out on their KTM 450 XCF because it wasn't geared correctly.  Huh.

But what would Yamaha know about building a good dirt bike ?  You guys obviously know better than Yamaha.

Stock YZ450F is 13/48.   My buddy rides 12/52.   (48+14)/13 = 4.77 final ratio <- equivalent YZ450FX ratio.    52/12 = 4.333    Like my buddy says, it could be just a bit lower.

You better call up Yamaha and tell them how terrible their FX gearing is.

You will never get it. 

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted March 30, 2016 - 04:43 PM

You will never get it. 

Go tell Yamaha.

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2016 - 06:36 AM

Your problem is that you have no idea what the other people in this conversation are talking about, and you're off on a different subject.

In the first place, FX/WR gearing is not the subject, YZ gearing is, and an FX is NOT a YZF.  The YZF has a much higher strung engine that's a whole lot less happy rolling along at near idle speeds, and the inertia it gets from its magneto rotor is about a quarter that of the FX. 

I'm not talking about how smooth the motor might be while rolling along in a steady state, I'm talking about what happens when you start trying to finesse the throttle at near idle speeds with the clutch engaged.  The engine response in such low gears becomes abrupt and difficult to manage because of the extreme reduction, and it's especially true of the EFI bikes, which already have a less than smooth tip-in situation going on. 

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted March 31, 2016 - 07:17 AM

Have you ever ridden a YZ450F with a 12 tooth sprocket ?  I rest my case.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, March 31, 2016 - 07:17 AM.

• washington_rider

Posted March 31, 2016 - 08:21 AM

So, this happened yesterday.... Came home to my parents' with my new FX (I work on the road, came back for a race and to buy my new bike). Was planning on giving my dad my '13 WR 450. During break-in of my FX (on our .8 mile track on their 20 acres), my dad was riding the '13 and did the ol' swaparoo in between laps. He stopped inconspicuously, ran over to me, said 'here let's switch bikes,' pulls mine out from under me and takes off on mine.

After I sat on and started the bike , something felt and sounded way weird... I was definitely not on my '13.

I was actually sitting on my dads' new '16 WR450F.

Between those 3 bikes, this will be a perfect 'from the average (b class) set of trail riders' review. We are going to a big ride this weekend and after some hours on the bikes I will report in.

So far, LOVE the bikes. The '16 WR has throttle screw removed, opened stock exhaust, and airbox opened up. Stock FX. Definitely different power delivery, and each suspension setup is great in their own way. (Have not played with clickers or sag yet, both stock settings. Dad and I both sit 220/240 lbs w/o gear).

More to come!! :ride:

Attached Thumbnails

• 1459440340160.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2016 - 09:04 AM

Have you ever ridden a YZ450F with a 12 tooth sprocket ?  I rest my case.

Yes, a number of them.  If you rested your case on that note, you gave up.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted March 31, 2016 - 09:56 AM

Whatever.

• Edge316

Posted March 31, 2016 - 10:16 AM

As Rodney King once said'' can we all just get along?''

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.