Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • Monk

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:13 AM

Not according to IMS. Only a minor mod to the seat is required. Per IMS.

It's a pretty major mod...

• cubera

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:18 AM

I'm going with the IMS. I like that it uses stock shrouds. There is a larger one available like I have on the 25OFX and I don't like it.
Yeah it takes about 5 seconds.
The seat mod takes about 5 seconds

• Monk

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:27 AM

Seat mod on the IMS drybreak is irreversible. You basically have to cut 1-1.5in off the front of the seat...

• cubera

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:57 AM

I'm told by IMS only the part of the seat that goes over the gas cap needs removal.

• Orange Crush 500

Posted March 11, 2016 - 08:08 AM

I don't know if someone might have posted this already. But this bike, the 2016 YZ450FX, is reviewed in the March issue of Motocross Action Magazine and March issue of Dirt Bike Mag.

• Monk

Posted March 11, 2016 - 08:46 AM

I'm told by IMS only the part of the seat that goes over the gas cap needs removal.

20160311_081618_zpsj0j93qlq.jpg

• cubera

Posted March 11, 2016 - 08:49 AM

Monk is that the FX tank? I'm understanding they are not available for another couple of weeks.

• Monk

Posted March 11, 2016 - 08:55 AM

Monk is that the FX tank? I'm understanding they are not available for another couple of weeks.

No, drybreak YZF tank. Drybreak is drybreak, there is not enough room otherwise. You will have to cut the seat...

• cubera

Posted March 11, 2016 - 08:57 AM

Good info. I don't want it then. I'll cancel the order with IMS. If I find out otherwise I'll post it up.

• Monk

Posted March 11, 2016 - 09:01 AM

Good info. I don't want it then. I'll cancel the order with IMS. If I find out otherwise I'll post it up.

Yes, it sucks because when I switched back to my other tanks I had to buy another seat. The drybreak is nice and works awesome but it does have a downside...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cubera

Posted March 11, 2016 - 09:02 AM

I'm OK with all this except I feel a bit mislead about seat mod. I'll clarify Monday. But I think you know what you're talking about

• Monk

Posted March 11, 2016 - 09:07 AM

I'm OK with all this except I feel a bit mislead about seat mod. I'll clarify Monday. But I think you know what you're talking about

Believe me, I tried to do it without trimming but because the drybreak is so large and circular and the seat is flat, it's impossible. Maybe IMS has tilted the DB or made it sit higher but in the picture on the previous page it doesn't look improved over what I have...

• cubera

Posted March 11, 2016 - 09:09 AM

I'm hoping that pic is just the YZ tank and that the FX tank has been corrected.

• chelder

Posted March 11, 2016 - 09:18 AM

Not according to IMS. Only a minor mod to the seat is required. Per IMS.

Can you please post the link for this tank?

• cubera

Posted March 11, 2016 - 09:28 AM

That pic is courtesy of Daniel at IMS. You can contact him and get any information you need. I think he sent me the pic so I would know what the FX tank will look like.

• Monk

Posted March 11, 2016 - 10:07 AM

I'm hoping that pic is just the YZ tank and that the FX tank has been corrected.

If you continue on the path of the IMSIMS tank, and doesn't work for you I would be interested in buying off you...

• motosinko805

Posted March 11, 2016 - 11:00 AM

So, are they coming out with a different tank that is more like the regular yz?

• cubera

Posted March 11, 2016 - 03:51 PM

Yes I think so. I am going to call this coming week to see what's happening.

• Jason Stevens

Posted March 13, 2016 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for the feed fellas, great info. I ended up ordering some springs from Diverse Suspension. Very helpful and informative. I went with a 6.8 and 5.4 springs. I'm going to try them with the stock valving then maybe try my hand at a revalve or send it off.

As for a skid plate, they have one on the GYTR website or I'd think one for the YZ450F would work?... Not sure though. Unibiker has awesome rad guards!

BulletProofDesigns has the radiator guards of choice, made in Missouri! Give Terry Brumley a call, he is a Smart Performance dealer/installer. Have used that stuff on a YZ250F with amazing results for the woods. Terry is in Springfield and knows the terrain of the area very well. Good luck with the new bike!

• blbills

Posted March 13, 2016 - 04:58 PM

Mini YZ 450 FX Review

Alright guys I was lucky enough to spend the weekend in Moab with my dad on a couple of brand new YZ 450 FX's.  These bikes are amazing.  My first foray into new generation 4 strokes happened in the early 2000's with a 1998 YZ 400F.  I then jumped ship and had a CRF 450R for several years which I also enjoyed.  The FX is my first fuel injection bike and I am really impressed.  Power is so smooth and responsive.

My bike is bone stock with the exception of a Core EXP, Cycra handguards, and Trail Tech computer.  The initial hit just as you crack the throttle on was a bit difficult to manage during the real technical stuff so I used the power tuner to dial that back.  Also the suspension is a bit harsh for trail riding (probably about perfect for the track) so I reduced the compression by a few clicks front and rear.  That seemed to help but it's not quite perfect.  Hope to play with it some more in the coming weeks.  Haven't seen much about gas mileage or range here but each day we did about 50 miles and it didn't seem to matter if it was slow and super technical or I was bombing down wide open trails I consumed about 1.4 gallons each day.  So that gives me approx. 70 miles of range on the stock tank.

Pros:

• Super smooth and responsive power delivery
  • Tunable power curves
  • Very light feeling (do not let the curb weight get to you)
  • Super easy to do basic maintenance (air filter, oil change, etc...)
  • Magic Button (I have yet to try the kick starter but glad it's there for a backup)
  • Stock 18in rear wheel opens up a lot of tire possibilities including trials tires

Cons:

• Stock power curve a bit agressive on initial hit
  • Rear tire is garbage
  • Why not include black rims stock?

Overall very impressed and extremely satisfied with my purchase!

P.S. If anyone is interested in the stock plastics let me know.  They have one weekend on them and are in perfect condition.  For some weird unexplained reason I prefer all white plastics.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160312_121641.jpg

Edited by blbills, March 13, 2016 - 05:01 PM.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.