Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • Monk

Posted February 23, 2016 - 02:21 PM

How does the FX feel in the tight woods? I sold my 2013WR because of the heavy feel. The FX is a little lighter but that's with no add-on's

Lol, I'm going to guess it feels like a heavy powerful 450 in tight woods. Slightly lighter then your WR, but definitely heavier then my YZF...

• Navaho6

Posted February 23, 2016 - 04:53 PM

Monk, what year YZ do you have?  I am on a 2009 450 and it is about 23 lbs lighter than my old WR.  I ask because some say that the FX does not feel as heavy as it is.  My 2013 WR didn't hide the weight at all, especially through the rough sections.  A comment from one of the magazines was that the FX felt lighter than the KTM XC even though it weighs almost 20 lbs more!

Edited by Navaho6, February 23, 2016 - 05:04 PM.

• Monk

Posted February 23, 2016 - 05:10 PM

Monk, what year YZ do you have? I am on a 2009 450 and it is about 23 lbs lighter than my old WR. I ask because some say that the FX does not feel as heavy as it is. My 2013 WR didn't hide the weight at all, especially through the rough sections. A comment from one of the magazines was that the FX felt lighter than the KTM XC even though it weighs almost 20 lbs more!

• RMK800

Posted February 23, 2016 - 05:30 PM

Monk, what year YZ do you have? I am on a 2009 450 and it is about 23 lbs lighter than my old WR. I ask because some say that the FX does not feel as heavy as it is. My 2013 WR didn't hide the weight at all, especially through the rough sections. A comment from one of the magazines was that the FX felt lighter than the KTM XC even though it weighs almost 20 lbs more!

There has been a few reviews from some 300 XC riders in this thread. I believe one review said except for the really tight stuff the FX destroys it in everything else. You can get the bike within 10 to 15 pounds for a comparable KTM as long as the KTM is stock. You'll have to like other things, because you can't compete with weight.

• Jlash

Posted February 23, 2016 - 05:52 PM

Think of the bike approaching a corner, when you have brake stomped the engine into silence, and it's dragging the rear wheel, but still moving.  Just bumping the e-start will often be all it takes, and the force on the wheel will help it roll over and start.  When you stop the engine that way, you have about a 1 in 5 or 6 chance that you will have trapped the decomp pin against the valve lifter, in which case, the e-start won't light it off by itself.  Quicker than pulling the clutch and hitting the button, and requires less involvement with your hands, which may be otherwise occupied.

You could, if you are still moving fast enough, just pull and release the clutch, and that will sometimes cause a "bump" restart, but you might not be going fast enough. 

And yes, the FX has exhibited some reluctance to start in gear at a standstill, but that wouldn't apply under the above conditions. 

There are all kinds of ways to utilize a starter that runs on demand, and all kinds of other ways in which the litany of "safety" measures that are wired in to keep idiots from hurting themselves can become annoyingly restrictive. 

i used to race mx and harescrambles (getting back into hs now), i always pulled the clutch if i was coming into a corner before i hit the brake.. to prevent stomping it to silence.. the only problem there is, user error.. learn to use the clutch and there will be no issue. i can understand stalling the bike, when i first got my yzf, i stalled it often.. then i learned to ride it.. only stall it on rare occasions, i.e. a hill or something crazy.. not from stomping on the rear brake in a turn.. racers even stomp the brake in the air to correct the angle of the bike and manage to grab the clutch in the air..

• Monk

Posted February 23, 2016 - 06:08 PM

There has been a few reviews from some 300 XC riders in this thread. I believe one review said except for the really tight stuff the FX destroys it in everything else. You can get the bike within 10 to 15 pounds for a comparable KTM as long as the KTM is stock. You'll have to like other things, because you can't compete with weight.

I also disagree with those statements to a point. I guess I come from a racing perspective and even though I can place well in Expert, I get destroyed in the tight stuff, generally not becausebecause their better riders, but just because the 300 is easier to transition. But, our races are the very definition of tight...

• RMK800

Posted February 23, 2016 - 06:44 PM

I also disagree with those statements to a point. I guess I come from a racing perspective and even though I can place well in Expert, I get destroyed in the tight stuff, generally not becausebecause their better riders, but just because the 300 is easier to transition. But, our races are the very definition of tight...

I'm just quoting one expert riders review that has posted in this thread that has owned both bikes. Wether you agree or not, he does have a better perspective then most of us on these two bikes.

• Monk

Posted February 23, 2016 - 06:47 PM

I'm just quoting one expert riders review that has posted in this thread that has owned both bikes. Wether you agree or not, he does have a better perspective then most of us on these two bikes.

Why red plates on you bike? Up here those would be your Pro colors...

• RMK800

Posted February 23, 2016 - 06:51 PM

Why red plates on you bike? Up here those would be your Pro colors...

Really Monk.... Wow, I don't race. I enjoy riding with my buddies. Your telling me I don't have a right to put red plates on my bike? Your putting me down because of a color?

• Monk

Posted February 23, 2016 - 06:57 PM

Really Monk.... Wow, I don't race. I enjoy riding with my buddies. Your telling me I don't have a right to put red plates on my bike? Your putting me down because of a color?

Lol, no, wasn't putting you down at all, just asking why the "red" number plates and insinuating that you might be a Pro rider. I would have asked if they were blue, pink, orange, yellow etc etc, but red just caught my eye...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RMK800

Posted February 23, 2016 - 07:04 PM

Lol, no, wasn't putting you down at all, just asking why the "red" number plates and insinuating that you might be a Pro rider. I would have asked if they were blue, pink, orange, yellow etc etc, but red just caught my eye...

Nope no pro rider. I like red over blue, beside having to change all the graphics and seat I added some red. That was really it. The number and letter is my actual last name in a different format.

Edited by RMK800, February 23, 2016 - 07:05 PM.

• mobgma

Posted February 23, 2016 - 08:01 PM

Trying to get SK Designs to make a kit for the FX...

There graphics kit are very nice.

• philfell

Posted February 23, 2016 - 09:27 PM

i used to race mx and harescrambles (getting back into hs now), i always pulled the clutch if i was coming into a corner before i hit the brake.. to prevent stomping it to silence.. the only problem there is, user error.. learn to use the clutch and there will be no issue. i can understand stalling the bike, when i first got my yzf, i stalled it often.. then i learned to ride it.. only stall it on rare occasions, i.e. a hill or something crazy.. not from stomping on the rear brake in a turn.. racers even stomp the brake in the air to correct the angle of the bike and manage to grab the clutch in the air..

Most riding schools teach to try to learn to keep the clutch out while braking into a corner, and to feather the clutch coming out.

Obviously the goal is not to stall, but it does happen to all of us at times even the top sx riders. So why not set the bike up to make it easier to restart in some of those situations, exactly like grey was talking about.

• KennyMc

Posted February 23, 2016 - 10:12 PM

How'd that work out for him?

Continues to do it today. I always said he'd fry his starter....nope.

• grayracer513

Posted February 23, 2016 - 10:23 PM

I was sure you would say it started half way up and dragged him the rest of the way, or something.  

• RockerYZWR

Posted February 24, 2016 - 03:51 AM

It is a special form of entertainment to see someone failing at loading/unloading an offroad vehicle.

That said...when I was about 20 years old working at a Kawasaki/Yamaha dealer, a customer bought a little Kawasaki Bayou 220 quad and I was assigned to load it up into his truck, an F150. I had never ridden a quad up ramps before into a truck, and sitting in front of it, this ramp looked to me like it was about an 80 degree incline. On top of that, the torque and power of the Bayou 220 required throttle control that was just beyond my capabilities at the time to make a safe and controlled climb of that sort. Not one to back away from such a task, I got an appropriate start up the ramp, weight forward, but quickly realized it wasn't going to make it, so I pinned it, with my hand and foot nowhere near a brake control. I came off the top with the front end still at about the same angle of the ramp and and wheelied right into his truck tool box. Thank goodness it was there, because otherwise I would have been buying him new back glass. No real damage was done, just a few small dents and scratches to the box, and he was surprisingly forgiving. But I sure felt kind of dumb - especially when I walk back towards the shop to find an audience of co-workers watching, laughing, judging.

• cubera

Posted February 26, 2016 - 03:30 AM

Maiden cruise aboard the YZ450FX. This bike is right off the showroom floor....literally.

https://vimeo.com/156795796

I'm a little cautious here like I have shingles on my buttocks...because I do.

https://vimeo.com/157002771 is some video from up trail.

Edited by cubera, February 28, 2016 - 07:45 AM.

• stevethe

Posted February 26, 2016 - 05:48 AM

Maiden cruise aboard the YZ450FX. This bike is right off the showroom floor....literally.
https://vimeo.com/156795796
I'm a little cautious here like I have shingles on my buttocks....because I do.

Shingles on the Arse oh my. It looked like it. I hope you all got a little more than a dirt road to ride on. :@)

• cubera

Posted February 26, 2016 - 06:08 AM

Thanks for your kind words.......stevethe. Sorry about the uber technical and intense break-in ride video. With shingles on the buttocks and the throttle needing to be at 1/2 or less it's hard to really show off the bike. But seriously, the bike is fully capable of slow speeds on jeeps trails. :ride:  ;)

Edited by cubera, February 26, 2016 - 07:56 AM.

• RockerYZWR

Posted February 26, 2016 - 08:44 AM

Wow, TMI.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.