951 replies to this topic
  • YHGEORGE

Posted February 19, 2016 - 03:47 PM

......how can I help you make it ?

Uh oh, I think I see something happening here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 19, 2016 - 04:34 PM

Uh oh, I think I see something happening here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Ya never know......I have two 10 year old bikes that are worth about $12 combined on the open market.......  :facepalm:  :devil:

• BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted February 19, 2016 - 05:01 PM

......how can I help you make it ?

For one you can tell me why this spring is a skoach over 3/4" shorter on the shock

Probably normal. I'm putting it on anyway

Edited by BolinJrsPit Crew, February 19, 2016 - 05:02 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 19, 2016 - 05:24 PM

For one you can tell me why this spring is a skoach over 3/4" shorter on the shock

Probably normal. I'm putting it on anyway

Sounds like a Diverse racing or Race Tech spring......Part of how some springs are made stiffer, is to make them shorter.....

• BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted February 19, 2016 - 05:53 PM

Sounds like a Diverse racing or Race Tech spring......Part of how some springs are made stiffer, is to make them shorter.....

Yep. Race tech. Rear is done. Tomorrow forks.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 19, 2016 - 07:11 PM

Yep. Race tech. Rear is done. Tomorrow forks.

Make sure you don't compress the forks when you remove the damping system, or you will have to re-bleed the inner cartridge

• RMK800

Posted February 19, 2016 - 07:18 PM

Does Race Sag number different for the type of ridding? Everything I've read says about 105. Does this number change if its not MX? Should it be 115 for desert or enduro riding?

• Monk

Posted February 19, 2016 - 07:23 PM

Does Race Sag number different for the type of ridding? Everything I've read says about 105. Does this number change if its not MX? Should it be 115 for desert or enduro riding?

Depends on what you really want to do. 115 going to make the bike more stable and harder to turn then 105...

• RMK800

Posted February 19, 2016 - 07:27 PM

Depends on what you really want to do. 115 going to make the bike more stable and harder to turn then 105...

Can you tell me what you like to run?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted February 19, 2016 - 07:28 PM

Not specifically, but it can if you want it to be.

If you were going to ride a day of very tight trails, reducing the race sag would be an turning improvment......vs increasing it for fireroads or wide open terrain.

If you are tall like me, it's more about how much you will be standing up, because when I stand up, and am way over the bars......

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted February 19, 2016 - 07:30 PM

My first initial adjustment which I fugured would be conservative turned out to 75mm. This spring is a stiff sumbitch. Will def back out to 100 in hopes it settles to 105. Will check after first ride.

• Monk

Posted February 19, 2016 - 07:31 PM

Can you tell me what you like to run?

My setup is kinda irrelevant. I run a lowered shock and between 93-95mm sag with a 5.8kg spring. With a stiffer spring rate (6.0kg) I'm around the 97mm mark...

• BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted February 19, 2016 - 08:37 PM

Anyone have a good video on replacing the fork spring?

• TN Dirt Rider

Posted February 20, 2016 - 04:31 AM

Anyone have a good video on replacing the fork spring?

There are some good rebuild videos on RMATV for the KYB forks. Watch those and you will have no problem changing fork springs.

• BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted February 20, 2016 - 06:41 AM

There are some good rebuild videos on RMATV for the KYB forks. Watch those and you will have no problem changing fork springs.

Thanks. I'll check it out. I've only got into Showa.
Showa I knowa.

• RockerYZWR

Posted February 20, 2016 - 04:40 PM

This video was really helpful to me when I started working on the SSS forks. The Rocky Mountain videos are usually pretty good also.

https://youtu.be/vrafDhaHbKc

• RMK800

Posted February 20, 2016 - 06:13 PM

Another Sag question. If your static sag is less then the recommended. It says you need to go to a stiffer spring. My question is, if you go to a stiffer spring won't the free/static sag be less because the stiffer spring keeps the bike from dropping?

• BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted February 20, 2016 - 08:49 PM

Turned out to be exactly like Showa dual chamber. It was a breeze. Rode after spring install and this thing is a dream. Love the feel of this bike. Planted in corners, point and shoot steering. Still getting used to the throttle control and 6th gear would be nice. Will have to play with gearing.

• YHGEORGE

Posted February 21, 2016 - 12:21 PM

Turned out to be exactly like Showa dual chamber. It was a breeze. Rode after spring install and this thing is a dream. Love the feel of this bike. Planted in corners, point and shoot steering. Still getting used to the throttle control and 6th gear would be nice. Will have to play with gearing.

What is your weight, what springs did you use? What rear?

• BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted February 21, 2016 - 01:10 PM

What is your weight, what springs did you use? What rear?

5.2kg front and 6.6 rear. 280 lbs. yes I'm fat

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.