Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • stevethe

Posted December 11, 2015 - 05:20 AM

I don't need a new bike. I don't need a new bike. I don't need a new bike........

Stop lying to yourself. :@)

• stroker

Posted December 11, 2015 - 12:27 PM

http://dirtbiketest....ing-impression/

Jimmy Lewis has an excellent web site called dirt bike test, link above, he has just completed the test of the YZ450FX. It sounds really really good!!!!!!!!

• Glenn 141

Posted December 11, 2015 - 01:12 PM

I agree with you on the mapping.  Stock my Husky was rather weak but all the KTM maps work.  Bud of mine is a mech and he richened the circuits and even kicked in an accelerator pump feature so to speak.  Results, no stalling, runs cooler and has great power for hill climbs.  It's still no XCF, but I didn't want one of those anyway.  My concern with the Yam 450FX is their going to say it's heavy especially with the e start.  De-tune a 450 too much and you have a BETA.  No power and more weight.  My thoughts were the softer 350 in a 250 frame would be a hoot.  Not sure how much you could tune the 250 before reliability issues rear their head.
[/quote
I believe the 250 and 450 share the same frame, just different motor mounts, all the plastic is the same as well.

• grayracer513

Posted December 11, 2015 - 01:31 PM

http://dirtbiketest....ing-impression/

Jimmy Lewis has an excellent web site called dirt bike test, link above, he has just completed the test of the YZ450FX. It sounds really really good!!!!!!!!

The same one posted in post number 38..... :cool:

• stroker

Posted December 12, 2015 - 12:36 AM

http://dirtbikemagaz...-off-road-racer

here is a different one!

• stroker

Posted December 12, 2015 - 05:15 PM

http://www.vitalmx.c...uct-reviews/752

another one

• msgbean

Posted December 13, 2015 - 08:11 AM

I rode mine for the first time yesterday.  what a wonderful machine.  I'm coming from a 2012 WR450 and this is the bike I wish I always had.

• stroker

Posted December 13, 2015 - 11:32 AM

Can we hit you up for a little review?

• vossman23

Posted December 13, 2015 - 11:50 AM

Can we hit you up for a little review?

This please.

• jrusher

Posted December 13, 2015 - 12:00 PM

Picked mine up on Friday. Won't have any dirt/off-road riding reviews this will be a dedicated snow bike. I'll be watching close on here too see what guys are gonna run for different mapping an exhaust etc. Need all the power a guy can get for snow biking an riding up at elevation. If anyone knows if the fuel/ignition maps from the 14-15 yz450 are safe to use on this bike let me know I would think they would be ? Thanks 

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

Edited by jrusher, December 13, 2015 - 12:06 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jlash

Posted December 13, 2015 - 03:24 PM

Timberbike
I would love to rip on one of those!!!!

• msgbean

Posted December 13, 2015 - 04:09 PM

I normally post on the WR thread so that is what I am most familiar with.  However I was riding with a YZ on my first ride.  My fifth gear would just walk away from him like he was holding back.  It had been raining all week so the area was muddy but not once did I slip out anywhere while the YZ did a 180 twice when he goosed it to much and I was riding a faster pace.  I absolutely loved the power delivery.  I really like the soft suspension of my WR for soaking up the little stuff and was sure the FX would tire me out but not only did I hit the stuff faster but I didn't tire either.  This is the bike I've been waiting for the whole time I was on WRs.  A wide ratio YZ.  After the YZ rider rode the FX he stated that he would have probably bought the FX instead if they were out when he bought the YZ a couple of months ago.

• RockerYZWR

Posted December 13, 2015 - 05:25 PM

These 450FXs are going to sell like HOT CAKES.

• Summit

Posted December 13, 2015 - 06:01 PM

These 450FXs are going to sell like HOT CAKES.

Yup, been waiting 10 years for a "sigfificant" improvement ......I do believe it's here.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted December 13, 2015 - 06:03 PM

Picked mine up on Friday. Won't have any dirt/off-road riding reviews this will be a dedicated snow bike. I'll be watching close on here too see what guys are gonna run for different mapping an exhaust etc. Need all the power a guy can get for snow biking an riding up at elevation. If anyone knows if the fuel/ignition maps from the 14-15 yz450 are safe to use on this bike let me know I would think they would be ? Thanks 

I've always felt those would be impossible to ride without the gyroscopic effect of a front and rear tire. but i bet they are a blast once you get the hang of it. i bet you dont overheat often either

• ckny

Posted December 14, 2015 - 08:09 AM

First ride on the weekend with my buddies new 450FX.
I have a 250FX.
Man the 450 has gobs of power! It's like a YZ450F for the woods, like my 250.
He needs to bump the idle, the bike stalls more than my 250.
3rd gear bike for just about anything.
Great package as I had expected.

• stroker

Posted December 14, 2015 - 09:24 AM

Does it feel much heavier than your 250FX?

Was it a typical 450 "too big for tight single track feel" or acceptable?

• ckny

Posted December 14, 2015 - 11:04 AM

Does it feel much heavier than your 250FX?Was it a typical 450 "too big for tight single track feel" or acceptable?

Surprisingly if felt pretty light when moving, my 250 still feels nimbler but the 450 is great. There is not much out there that my 250 can't handle so I doubt I would buy one but my buddy is a big bore type of guy and likes to run a gear high. He is a fast 40 plus and won our 40+ expert class this year. He is replacing a 13 Beta 450.
I can't see a problem running tight single track but it's definitely more of an open class GNCC or GP style bike.
Wouldn't want to be running a low gear in tight single track on it without good throttle and bike control.

• stroker

Posted December 14, 2015 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for the info ckny It is nice to have some info from someone that has ridden both bikes. My area is so tight and gnarly that most people ride a 250 here. I will probably end up going that way too.

http://www.motorcycl...ide-review.html

This seems like a good in depth review. MXA will have one soon too! This bike is really looking like a winner !!!

• Fastdaddy

Posted December 14, 2015 - 07:54 PM

The Dirtbike review is a very fair assessment. of the FX. I'm on a 2014 KTM 300 XC now so the FX feels big and fat especially between the knees when standing. It grows on you quickly. The suspension out of the box is in one word amazing. It is worth the girth. Power is on point for off road. I only spent two hours on her and she is new. One hour break in and a hour of whoops, hills and sand in the west Utah desert, for the terrain. I think this bike will be hard to beat.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.