Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • ckny

Posted February 04, 2016 - 11:15 AM

First of all, thank you for this 1st hand information on the 450fx. I bought one this week but have not taken it for a ride yet.(living in Red Deer,AB which is 4 hr drive north of Montana/Canada border) my last bike was a modified XR 650R.I am pumped to ride this bike soon...may invest in some studded ice tires!

I have a new carbide studded Kenda Washougal rear if you need one. Only one ride on it.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

• Slainte

Posted February 04, 2016 - 04:47 PM

Too bad we live so far apart (:

• RMK800

Posted February 12, 2016 - 04:56 PM

I replaced my rear sprocket and went to a 51 for the riding I do, not a big change but enough for me. The stock sprocket is very light. I think it is aluminum. Comparing it to my WR stock sprocket it's very light. It's not even a pound if anybody cares. Not much weight savings here.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1455324986.497200.jpg

Edited by RMK800, February 12, 2016 - 04:57 PM.

• reedo05

Posted February 12, 2016 - 06:57 PM

Okay so i picked up my 450fx during the week and have run it in as well as a trailride

the following day. Whats up with having to find neutral before hitting the e-start,whats

the secret in bypassing it ?.I to will change the rear to a 51,1st seems a little tall in the

tight stuff.Hopefully the rear end will settle down as far as seat height.

• philfell

Posted February 12, 2016 - 07:23 PM

Pull the clutch in and it'll start in gear. Or pull the clutch switch plunger thing out of the perch and it'll think the clutch is pulled in

• mobgma

Posted February 12, 2016 - 07:51 PM

Does the bike start in 1st or second gear? I heard it will only start in neutral. Can anyone confirm?

• The Anvil

Posted February 12, 2016 - 08:17 PM

It will start in aNY gear if you got the clutch pulled in, just takes alittle throttle minipulation.

Today I rode with the 52 back sproket, felt great!

• mobgma

Posted February 12, 2016 - 08:29 PM

Stock is 50 sprocket right? Ya I could see the need for a 51 or 52 from listening to peoples thoughts.

• reedo05

Posted February 12, 2016 - 08:32 PM

Just pulled the plunger switch out from the back of the clutch perch.Starts in gear

with the clutch in now for those tricky times.

• tomerb

Posted February 12, 2016 - 10:02 PM

The Anvil, on 12 Feb 2016 - 9:17 PM, said:

It will start in aNY gear if you got the clutch pulled in, just takes alittle throttle minipulation.

Today I rode with the 52 back sproket, felt great!

"just takes alittle throttle manipulation"

Why??

Edited by tomerb, February 12, 2016 - 10:02 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RMK800

Posted February 13, 2016 - 07:14 AM

"just takes alittle throttle manipulation"
Why??

Because when the bikes in gear it always a little harder to start. Sometimes you do have to adjust the throttle some to get it to fire.

• JakeTheGreat

Posted February 15, 2016 - 06:05 PM

Currently have a 2015 KTM 300 XC that I am very pleased with. Looking to pick up a new 4 stroke this spring and am seriously torn between the 450 XCF and 450FX. I have always been a KTM guy but seriously won't think twice about leaving the 4CS behind. I weigh 180 lbs and an Intermediate/Expert rider. I think the 450 will be suffice because although I do run lots of tight technical races here in AZ with AMRA, I also participate in Hare and Hounds and the BITD series. I obviously would love to ride both to compare but haven't came across the opportunity. Has anyone came off a 300 or ridden both new bikes that could possibly convince me to pick one over the other? I read the new dirtbike test that Jimmy Lewis did but the conclusion was pretty open ended. 

Thanks, 

-Jake 

• philfell

Posted February 15, 2016 - 08:33 PM

I came of a 2012 300. The 450fx does everything better except in the really tight stuff.

I raced the Vegas to Reno in the open expert class on the 300 a few years ago. The fx would absolutely destroy the 300. I was a little worried about it not having a 6 speed, but It has plenty of spread on the gearing.

Last weekend we had a desert race and I ran 14/47 and the bike handled great in the right rocky washes and the open sections, I was tapped out in 5th a few times and the bike felt comfortable.

I haven't ridden a Ktm 450xcf to compare though.

I'm at 155lbs and had to back the clickers out front and rear at your weight you may be about perfect in the stock settings

• tomerb

Posted February 15, 2016 - 09:45 PM

Because when the bikes in gear it always a little harder to start. Sometimes you do have to adjust the throttle some to get it to fire.

So do you need to adjust the throttle some every time you start in gear?

• JakeTheGreat

Posted February 15, 2016 - 10:02 PM

I came of a 2012 300. The 450fx does everything better except in the really tight stuff.
I raced the Vegas to Reno in the open expert class on the 300 a few years ago. The fx would absolutely destroy the 300. I was a little worried about it not having a 6 speed, but It has plenty of spread on the gearing.
Last weekend we had a desert race and I ran 14/47 and the bike handled great in the right rocky washes and the open sections, I was tapped out in 5th a few times and the bike felt comfortable.
I haven't ridden a Ktm 450xcf to compare though.
I'm at 155lbs and had to back the clickers out front and rear at your weight you may be about perfect in the stock settings

How come it isn't as good in the tight stuff? My 300 is a tractor and will lug all the way down to an idle when needed. I read that the fx was better than the xcf is the tighter terrain as well....

• philfell

Posted February 15, 2016 - 10:18 PM

How come it isn't as good in the tight stuff? My 300 is a tractor and will lug all the way down to an idle when needed. I read that the fx was better than the xcf is the tighter terrain as well....

Read my initial review of the fx a few pages back.

• RMK800

Posted February 16, 2016 - 10:52 AM

You can address this with gearing. Philfell is running a more desert gearing and is obviously going fast. If you wanted to give up some top end you could easily put a 52 rear on. A 13/52 would provide you better tight single track riding. Might not be as a tractor like the 300, but it would be better and then in the more open stuff that fx takes over. You either have to go gearing or rekluse.

Edited by RMK800, February 16, 2016 - 10:53 AM.

• The Anvil

Posted February 16, 2016 - 05:18 PM

Currently have a 2015 KTM 300 XC that I am very pleased with. Looking to pick up a new 4 stroke this spring and am seriously torn between the 450 XCF and 450FX. I have always been a KTM guy but seriously won't think twice about leaving the 4CS behind. I weigh 180 lbs and an Intermediate/Expert rider. I think the 450 will be suffice because although I do run lots of tight technical races here in AZ with AMRA, I also participate in Hare and Hounds and the BITD series. I obviously would love to ride both to compare but haven't came across the opportunity. Has anyone came off a 300 or ridden both new bikes that could possibly convince me to pick one over the other? I read the new dirtbike test that Jimmy Lewis did but the conclusion was pretty open ended. 

Thanks, 

-Jake

I have a 2015 300. I like the 300 but the 450 has so much more grunt. I mainly ride technical and rarely get top end out of the 450. The front suspension is so much more planted in any position. The 300 will be up for sale, won't look back either.

With that said, I don't think you will see the fx take over at erzberg. But I got a feeling your gona see less 200+lb guys riding a 300

• stevethe

Posted February 16, 2016 - 05:42 PM

I have a 2015 300. I like the 300 but the 450 has so much more grunt. I mainly ride technical and rarely get top end out of the 450. The front suspension is so much more planted in any position. The 300 will be up for sale, won't look back either.
With that said, I don't think you will see the fx take over at erzberg. But I got a feeling your gona see less 200+lb guys riding a 300

Im not sure about Erzberg. The light weight of the two strokes in the rocks seems to do well. Everywhere else the 4T's rip.

• The Anvil

Posted February 16, 2016 - 06:13 PM

Im not sure about Erzberg. The light weight of the two strokes in the rocks seems to do well. Everywhere else the 4T's rip.

I like the 300 in the rocks better solely because of the clutch. I like my 500 better in the rocks then the 300.

I'm reading my own posts, 3 difrent bikes in one post, I need a support group

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.