Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • mobgma

Posted February 01, 2016 - 04:40 PM

Goal is 252 from the original 262 wet weight lol. Hmmm where else to cut weight. Could always remove front number plate and fender for say 1 lb lololol  :rolleyes:  JK Maybe a Tubliss system? I hear it is lighter.

Edited by mobgma, February 01, 2016 - 04:41 PM.

• RMK800

Posted February 01, 2016 - 06:03 PM

Goal is 252 from the original 262 wet weight lol. Hmmm where else to cut weight. Could always remove front number plate and fender for say 1 lb lololol :rolleyes: JK Maybe a Tubliss system? I hear it is lighter.

You could always remove the kick starter :)

• Sheriff245

Posted February 01, 2016 - 06:26 PM

Maybe a Tubliss system? I hear it is lighter.

It is not.

• RockerYZWR

Posted February 01, 2016 - 08:23 PM

It is not.

It is not lighter than a stock tube, is about the same weight as an HD tube, and is lighter than an XD tube. I got the numbers written down somewhere from when I cared about that one time. But Tubliss is the way to go in the desert!

• ckny

Posted February 02, 2016 - 03:06 AM

Jesus you guys need to go ride your bikes instead of nitpicking about a pound or two.
I didn't notice the weight on the 450 unless I was comparing it to a 125.
Seems like it's always the old fat guys obsessing about bike weight.

• RockerYZWR

Posted February 02, 2016 - 04:16 AM

You could always sand down the inside surfaces of the platics and trim down the thumb guard areas of the grips. There must be at least a few grams in all that.

• jay bird1138

Posted February 02, 2016 - 04:30 AM

Go to the bathroom before you ride... It's free and you will lose a pound and a half+.

• ckny

Posted February 02, 2016 - 06:42 AM

My emoticons are not working so don't take my post too serious or get your panties all twisted ha ha..

• RMK800

Posted February 02, 2016 - 06:46 AM

ame="RMK800" post="12896530" timestamp="1454423157"]

Don't be such a puss and get out and ride. I bet I have more snow then you and I'm hitting the trails in a couple hours.
While you are whining maybe you could hit the stationary bike or trainer and lose some of that fat ass

Really so you know how much I weigh? I hit the gym four times a week I weigh 180 pounds. I'm in dang good shape. It's people because you that ruin these threads with your no really valid input. yeah, I will ride our bikes but there's nothing wrong and just talking about how to make the bike better, so if you don't like it, get off the thread!

Edited by RMK800, February 02, 2016 - 07:11 AM.

• ckny

Posted February 02, 2016 - 07:05 AM

Oh I made some positive input, I actually have hours on the 450 and 250FX so relax.
It's a public forum, if you don't like it go somewhere else man.
Try visiting the Pro Racing forum or TS and see how ugly it gets.
I was kidding with you, if you can't take a little humour or criticism maybe you should reconsider posting on a public forum.
I feel sorry for your riding buddies if you can't take a little good natured ribbing...

If I was really being a dick I would not have made it clear to you in my previous post I was joking.

So many guys getting all caught up on the weight of the bike, it starts to get a little rediculus.
Lots of titanium fastener kits out there if you are really hardcore.

I swapped my stock battery with a lithium and that's it. I'm coming off racing YZ125's and 250's so I know all about weight.
I adjusted my style for the new bike and life goes on. Where I lost positives from the heavier weight of a thumper I made up just as many or more switching. It's all relative and any disadvantage I had is now gone after enough seat time. I still do miss my 125 in super tight courses but my main ride will be my 250FX from now on.

So go slap on some studs and twist the throttle before your head explodes...image.jpeg image.jpeg

Edited by ckny, February 02, 2016 - 07:08 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2016 - 07:17 AM

People with a different opinion don't ruin threads.  People who respond to a dissenting opinion with thinly veiled profanity are another matter.

When I started riding, if you wanted to ride the big bikes you had to put up with the fact that they were, um, big.  I had more than a coupe different rides that were all over 300 pounds each.  The Matchless G85 was an exception at 285 pounds, but the '71 BSA Victor MX was a real lightweight at 265 with an empty tank.  Neither of you have any idea how good you have it.

The only time weight matters is when you have to be the one who moves it, like picking it up off the ground, or over an obstacle, etc.  Then, I doubt you'll notice 10 pounds out of 260.  Still, people enjoy what makes them happy, and if putting the bike on a diet does it for you, it makes no difference to me.  Personally, I'd probably do the battery, but not much else.

The bike carries its weight remarkably well, and as noted in a recent direct comparison between the FX and a KTM, the test riders agreed that the FX felt much lighter than the KTM, in spite of it's ten extra pounds.

Meanwhile, the two of you leave each other alone for a while. 

• stevethe

Posted February 02, 2016 - 07:32 AM

Goal is 252 from the original 262 wet weight lol. Hmmm where else to cut weight. Could always remove front number plate and fender for say 1 lb lololol  :rolleyes:  JK Maybe a Tubliss system? I hear it is lighter.

I usually get a full titanium pipe, a lithium battery, used or new used titanium pegs to cut weight. 

One difference between a KTM and the Yamaha 450's is the fx and wr uses a very heavy flywheel and crank. I have seen some European 4t's with the lower end looking like a 2t while good for weight saving it doesn't have the tractor and lug ability. 

• mobgma

Posted February 02, 2016 - 09:49 AM

I have the solution to the weight issue. Use lighter weight oil ahahah GET IT! AMIRITE!

• mobgma

Posted February 02, 2016 - 09:51 AM

I usually get a full titanium pipe, a lithium battery, used or new used titanium pegs to cut weight. 

One difference between a KTM and the Yamaha 450's is the fx and wr uses a very heavy flywheel and crank. I have seen some European 4t's with the lower end looking like a 2t while good for weight saving it doesn't have the tractor and lug ability. 

My joke was intended for the Ronnie Mac fans type of thing with the shaved front fender :p

• YHGEORGE

Posted February 02, 2016 - 10:24 AM

Possible to find those fenders pre-shaved? I'm getting lazier by the day.

• grayracer513

Posted February 02, 2016 - 11:29 AM

And less "artistic", too,if you're like me.  Bling doesn't do it for me anymore.

• JB in CO

Posted February 02, 2016 - 07:49 PM

I got one Dec 9. Flat out awesome! I did notice it was a little soft in the fork. Put stock yz450 fork springs in it and balanced it out and is much better. Waiting for some big tanks to hit the market - as the IMS one is just too big....next need some maps to smooth out the bottom and it'll be perfect for me!

• RMK800

Posted February 02, 2016 - 08:05 PM

I got one Dec 9. Flat out awesome! I did notice it was a little soft in the fork. Put stock yz450 fork springs in it and balanced it out and is much better. Waiting for some big tanks to hit the market - as the IMS one is just too big....next need some maps to smooth out the bottom and it'll be perfect for me!

These are for the 2016 YZ450f. I would think this would give you a place to start with the hard pack and slippery. I haven't tried them yet, but plan to.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1454472307.749228.jpg

• JB in CO

Posted February 02, 2016 - 08:12 PM

Thanks man!

• Slainte

Posted February 04, 2016 - 11:00 AM

First of all, thank you for this 1st hand information on the 450fx. I bought one this week but have not taken it for a ride yet.(living in Red Deer,AB which is 4 hr drive north of Montana/Canada border) my last bike was a modified XR 650R.I am pumped to ride this bike soon...may invest in some studded ice tires!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.