Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • Jimmy boy

Posted January 27, 2016 - 05:43 PM

I rode marks 2012 kx 450 and it felt great, much better then my bikes. I think the kyb sss forks are hard to beat.

wow, that says a lot since what I saw that bike go through

• The Anvil

Posted January 27, 2016 - 05:57 PM

wow, that says a lot since what I saw that bike go through

Saturday it's going threw the maze, might be it's last day on earth. He he

• The Anvil

Posted January 27, 2016 - 06:18 PM

I got to ride the fx today. The bike is impressive, the power is very nice. I was able to comfortably and safely go down rutted hills way faster then I can on my other bikes. The front was very predictable. I'm very happy with my bike choice.

The bike sits very tall. I'm a tall guy and it feels taller then my ktm's. Might lower it alittle for the technical stuff.

The gearing seemed a bit tall for the technical climbs, but maybe I'm just too slow. None the less, a bigger rear sproket might make it easier for me. The bike feels light. Can't wait to put a mb5 on the thing and break some hearts

• Jimmy boy

Posted January 27, 2016 - 06:33 PM

Saturday it's going threw the maze, might be it's last day on earth. He he

its too bad you dez peeps don't like us donkey peeps and won't wait for us to situate are machines I guess blood is thicker then water.

• The Anvil

Posted January 27, 2016 - 06:48 PM

its too bad you dez peeps don't like us donkey peeps and won't wait for us to situate are machines I guess blood is thicker then water.

You rode donkeyland last weekend, this stuff will be a piece of cake. All slow speed crawling stuff. Get your butt out there

• Jimmy boy

Posted January 27, 2016 - 06:53 PM

You rode donkeyland last weekend, this stuff will be a piece of cake. All slow speed crawling stuff. Get your butt out there

you do understand what detonation right? It's like the piston is getting hit w/ a sludge hammer as it try's to go up. What's the hurry?? Conditions are great everywhere why won't you postpone it and wait for your buddy's ???

• KennyMc

Posted January 27, 2016 - 07:54 PM

you do understand what detonation right? It's like the piston is getting hit w/ a sludge hammer as it try's to go up. What's the hurry?? Conditions are great everywhere why won't you postpone it and wait for your buddy's ???

Yea, you have a good point, we should wait, it was so unfair the way the date was just dropped in at the last minute :holyshit:

• reedo05

Posted January 27, 2016 - 08:14 PM

I got to ride the fx today. The bike is impressive, the power is very nice. I was able to comfortably and safely go down rutted hills way faster then I can on my other bikes. The front was very predictable. I'm very happy with my bike choice.

The bike sits very tall. I'm a tall guy and it feels taller then my ktm's. Might lower it alittle for the technical stuff.

The gearing seemed a bit tall for the technical climbs, but maybe I'm just too slow. None the less, a bigger rear sproket might make it easier for me. The bike feels light. Can't wait to put a mb5 on the thing and break some hearts

What is the std gearing on the YZ450FX and how many teeth are you thinking of adding ?

• RMK800

Posted January 27, 2016 - 08:23 PM

What is the std gearing on the YZ450FX and how many teeth are you thinking of adding ?

Standard gearing is 13/50.

• grayracer513

Posted January 28, 2016 - 07:43 AM

Same as I'm running on my YZ with the WR 4th and 5th.  You could go lower, but with the wide ratio first gear in the FX, I wouldn't think it necessary.  Mine still has the YZ's 45 mph low gear in it, and with a Rekluse, it's OK. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RMK800

Posted January 28, 2016 - 08:56 AM

Same as I'm running on my YZ with the WR 4th and 5th.  You could go lower, but with the wide ratio first gear in the FX, I wouldn't think it necessary.  Mine still has the YZ's 45 mph low gear in it, and with a Rekluse, it's OK. 

Hey GR.  Do yo know how to find out the difference in gearing between a FX and WR?  I know this is off topic, but you mentioned you like Tag Metals for an aluminum sprocket?

Edited by RMK800, January 28, 2016 - 08:58 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted January 28, 2016 - 09:16 AM

The parts book.  According to that, they're both geared the same; 50/13

• ckny

Posted January 28, 2016 - 01:32 PM

Hey GR.  Do yo know how to find out the difference in gearing between a FX and WR?  I know this is off topic, but you mentioned you like Tag Metals for an aluminum sprocket?

I love Tag sprockets, almost all I run. I bought a boatload of 47,48 and 51 rears on a Parts Canada clear out.
Just mounted my last 51 on my spare wheel for winter riding with studs.

• The Anvil

Posted January 28, 2016 - 04:33 PM

The Anvil does not wait, ask the orphan.

If the Maze is good, it will be done again, guaranteed. Anywhere I ride, my brothers are always invited.

• The Anvil

Posted January 28, 2016 - 04:42 PM

For me, my ktm's lugg alittle better in the nasty stuff.

I'm torn between putting a bigger rear sproket or just riding alittle faster threw the nasty stuff. The suspension seems to work better then the WP stuff so higher speed shouldn't be that much of a reach to accomplish.

If I put a 52 rear sproket I might need a new chain, uggg! If I went to a 12 front sproket that might be too much.

• Jimmy boy

Posted January 28, 2016 - 04:43 PM

Yea, you have a good point, we should wait, it was so unfair the way the date was just dropped in at the last minute :holyshit:

You don't even know, but one day you'll know

• KennyMc

Posted January 28, 2016 - 06:14 PM

For me, my ktm's lugg alittle better in the nasty stuff.

I'm torn between putting a bigger rear sproket or just riding alittle faster threw the nasty stuff. The suspension seems to work better then the WP stuff so higher speed shouldn't be that much of a reach to accomplish.

If I put a 52 rear sproket I might need a new chain, uggg! If I went to a 12 front sproket that might be too much.

You may actually need to learn the art of.......clutch control :theaircomesoutoftheroom:

• KennyMc

Posted January 28, 2016 - 06:16 PM

You don't even know, but one day you'll know

I've forgotten more than you know..... :D

• Jimmy boy

Posted January 28, 2016 - 06:22 PM

I've forgotten more than you know..... :D

which means you don't know, otherwise you'd know, you know?

• The Anvil

Posted January 28, 2016 - 06:22 PM

You may actually need to learn the art of.......clutch control :theaircomesoutoftheroom:

Clutch! Good topic! The clutch is nice, but I'd like a easier pull if possible. I employ the single index finger methid, be nice to make the pull a tad bit easier.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.