Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • mobgma

Posted January 18, 2016 - 11:45 AM

I picked up my FX on Friday evening. I've got the front forks, swingarm and rear shock off to re-spring it and to re-grease the steering head and swingarm/shock linkages. Unfortunately, I will probably not get a chance to ride it until this coming weekend.

The story of how I ended up on this bike might help other riders who are also considering this bike. I rode an '04 YZ450 from '08 until late '13 that was set up nicely for woods riding. In late '13, I was having some right knee issues when someone asked me if I would sale it so, I sold it for what I paid for it back in '08. This past summer the knee was doing great so I found a '11 YZ450 close by for a good price and jumped back in. Two things to say about that bike - 1st) I could not believe the awesome power it made compared to the '04. It would pull effortless wheelies with my 6'4" 230lbs when changing to 4th gear with just a good twist of the throttle and 2) after a couple of rides I could already feel the knee getting sore. I rode it two weeks and sold it for what I paid for it and knowing that unfortunately, my knee now demanded a bike e-start. I ended up buying a '15 WR450 back in December. I thought that with some mods and a good FI map on that bike that I would be satisfied with the power. After adding a competition ECU, removing the throttle stop, removing the exhaust pea shooter, and riding it a few times, I knew that compared to the '11 YZ motor, I would never be satisfiued with the WR. My 14 yr old son is now the proud owner of the WR450 with my purchase of the FX! Having read all the reviews and comments on this site regarding the new FX, I am confident that it will be the perfect bike for me. I'll provide a short review after my first ride.

I know you are regreasing but did they come with sufficient grease? Just curious.I have heard people say they never grease anything and then other says that they have come greased sufficiently.

• OldDutchFarm

Posted January 18, 2016 - 12:04 PM

I know you are regreasing but did they come with sufficient grease? Just curious.I have heard people say they never grease anything and then other says that they have come greased sufficiently.

I have not pulled the steering stem yet but, the FX swing arm and shock linkage bearings had a reasonable amount of grease in them. I still like to clean everything and very liberally apply Bel-Ray waterproof grease for peace-of-mind. You can easily pull, clean, re-grease, and reassemble the swingarm and shock linkage in one hour if you have done that job before and have the right tools (probably two hours if it's your first time). It's worth noting that my son's 2015 WR450 had ample grease in the steering head BUT there were multiple flakes of aluminum (looked like leftovers from the machining process) embedded in the grease coating the lower bearing. Would those aluminum flakes have caused pre-mature bearing wear? Probably not, but once again it's worth the peace of mind and a little time to me to re-grease.

Edited by OldDutchFarm, January 18, 2016 - 12:22 PM.

• philfell

Posted January 18, 2016 - 06:30 PM

I stripped mine and regreased everything, but it didn't seem like it needed it. I'm still glad I did though.

• philfell

Posted January 18, 2016 - 06:36 PM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453170698.672154.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453170907.896833.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453170935.505953.jpg

Before and after pics of yesterday's race. Bike worked great, me......not so great.

Edited by philfell, January 18, 2016 - 09:02 PM.

• BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted January 20, 2016 - 08:39 PM

Looking for a few things for my FX that are not listed under FX probably due to being a new model.

Rekluse clutch? Order for a WR?, if so what year.

BRP sub-mount w/ Scotts stabilizer, WR or YZ?

Skid Plate. WR or YZ

MSR Shark fin

New to the Team Blue, so excuse the ignorance.

• RMK800

Posted January 20, 2016 - 09:21 PM

Looking for a few things for my FX that are not listed under FX probably due to being a new model.
Skid Plate. WR or YZ
MSR Shark fin

You need to base it more on the YZ450f then the WR. Actually now, the 2016 WR is also more similar to the YZ then the 2015 generation.

• grayracer513

Posted January 20, 2016 - 09:34 PM

As far as I can tell, everything you listed is the same as WR.  The clutch, frame, triples, are all WR parts, so order for a '16 WR.

• the go-devil

Posted January 21, 2016 - 11:10 AM

Skid Plate. WR or YZ
MSR Shark fin

I've been looking for an aluminum skid plate as well. The only one I've found so far is the GYTR enduro style on Yamaha's website. The aftermarket seems to be a little slow.

• BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted January 21, 2016 - 04:20 PM

I've been looking for an aluminum skid plate as well. The only one I've found so far is the GYTR enduro style on Yamaha's website. The aftermarket seems to be a little slow.

That's a big 10-4. That plastic thingy jig won't last long at all.

• stevethe

Posted January 21, 2016 - 05:20 PM

All the 14-16 YZ skid plates should fit ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Monk

Posted January 21, 2016 - 05:59 PM

I think the FX/WR have additional tabs welded on the down tubes to accommodate a skidplate. This would interfere with YZF skidplates...

• the go-devil

Posted January 21, 2016 - 07:41 PM

I guess they probably would wouldn't they? I was kind of fixated on getting one that uses the 2 mounting tabs that are welded to front of the frame on the FX.

• grayracer513

Posted January 21, 2016 - 09:33 PM

No.  Might make them fit, but the X frame is in fact a WR frame; same part, so I think it's safe to say a WR plate will bolt up. 

Don't make any assumptions about the bike because it shares a lot of major components with the WR.  The frame is new, and differs from anything previously used on the WR models, and the whole package represents a serious upgrade to the WR itself, along with the introduction of a whole new bike.  It might be more accurate to say the WR was an FX with lights and smog than to say an FX was a stripped WR. 

• tvbh40a

Posted January 23, 2016 - 02:45 PM

Looking at the WR and the FX.  Living in Idaho it will be easy to plate either one.  So should I buy a Wr and desmog, remap and add the necessary street legal items or buy the FX and add lights and everything it takes?  Sorry if this has been asked before, just not seeing the answer I am looking for.

Thanks

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted January 23, 2016 - 03:31 PM

If the WR has a spark arrestor and you can live with the stock exhaust, buying a WR will save you from having to fool around with an SA on your YZ.

I turned a 2012 WR40F into a decent woods mount.  I used a YZ as a comparison for some of the work I did.  I don't know if the 2016WRs are the same, but my 2012 WR wiring harness is huge compared to a YZ harness.  That can be good and bad.  If you want a simple, minimalist bike, it is bad.  I suspect a 2012 WR harness by itself weighs a pound more than a YZ harness.   However, if you want lights, etc. the WR harness probably has a lot of things pre wired.  It seems as though my WR harness was used for the Euro bikes which are street legal and had some buried wire and such for turn signals, etc. 

The other thing is you will probably need a non GPS speedometer and the WR has one and also has the pickup for one built into the front wheel.  To say nothing of the high/low beam headlight.   Not sure how people add a speedo to the YZ.

• RockerYZWR

Posted January 23, 2016 - 03:37 PM

Vapor with mag pickup.

• RockerYZWR

Posted January 23, 2016 - 03:39 PM

http://www.trailtech...s/vapor/752-300

• RMK800

Posted January 23, 2016 - 07:50 PM

My first ride review on my FX

I'm coming off a 2007 WR450 with KYB SSS upfront. Besides pipe and carb modes, pretty much stock. I can only really compare it to this bike.

I drive 5 hours to get to Cainville/Hanksville. Crazy area, about 25 miles of soft clay and crazy hills. Picture below is only just a small snippet. Think of that but 25 miles of it. You ride these splines on the top of the peaks and some areas be lucky enough to be as wide as a tire.. Both sides drop off maybe 100 feet in areas. Let's just say a few times, I couldn't stay on the spline.

Bike is awesome. The responsiveness of the throttle is incredible compared to my carb (which I thought was pretty good). There is not a single ounce of miss, you hit it, it goes. Kept default suspension settings , it's firm. I weight 200 with all the gear. I took off two clicks off comp for forks and shock at lunch. That helped a lot .

Also the biked started up so easy, never a hitch with the electric start.

The front feels so much better on this bike. Fairly light feeling. My WR has a more planted feel. For some reason I found my WR easier to get the front tire off the ground when I needed to. Still trying to figure that out on this bike.

My WR has a 51 tooth. I like this gearing helps in tighter stuff, but I didn't want to make a change until I tried this bike. First is low enough, but I'm not sure I like the spacing between 1 and 2nd. I think I would have liked them to be closer... Just me though.

As I mentioned the power and responsiveness is so good, however, it caused me some issues. In the tighter stuff I struggle with throttle control. It's jittiery, not sure how to say it. When I wanted to go really slow my throttle skills were not great and I feel like I'm really good with throttle control on my WR! I feel like if I tone the hit down a tad with that power tuner and I'll go to the 51 (seen a few reviews mention the same thing about going up a tooth) It will be a lot better, but I'm sure more seat time will help. It wasn't awesome in the tight stuff with these settings for me. I'm 5'9" and I'm sure if I was 6'0" I probably wouldn't have had as many issues. Some of it for sure is the riding area and being a tad rusty. When I was on these splines I couldn't come close to touching before the bike got off and down i went and sliding down a 100 foot clay wall wasn't fun. This bike seems at least 1 inch taller then my WR. This ain't a big deal in open riding.

Brake's are amazing, oh my gosh. I usually like my foot brake lever level with my foot peg. I forgot to make the change on the first ride. This caused me some issues, hitting it to hard and sensitive. Lowering foot brake lever helped a lot.

Not much I don't like, suspension is so good out of the box with a few adjustment. I think with any bike you have to get your suspension the way you want it and what gearing you like. The hit right now is great in the more open stuff, but I'll have to play with some maps for tighter rides. Which is kinda cool, where you can make a few changes with mapping. I have two feet of snow where I live, so the next ride could be a month or so out, but it was pretty amazing.

I would also like to cut 5 to 7 pounds off this bike. 255 to 257 I thinks is reasonable to do with some fairly easy changes.

As I've said on this thread, first brand new bike ever purchased, so glad I did!ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453607258.338243.jpg
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453609527.149860.jpg

Oh by the way even the ^^ orange boys thought the motor hit and throttle response was pretty dang amazing.

Here is a good video giving you a little idea what I'm talking about.

http://youtu.be/V-pxH7j4la4

Edited by RMK800, January 24, 2016 - 11:18 AM.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted January 23, 2016 - 08:29 PM

I have an update as well got back from my second ride today. Drove 3.5 hours to Syracuse Kansas sand dunes with a buddy who has a 2015 wr450 I let him ride the fx for a bit, he was surprised and a little terrorized at the power by comparison. Meanwhile on his bike reminded me how heavy feeling the previous WR I had feels so heavy by comparison. To be able to jump back and forth between bikes it was very obvious.
As for my FX the more I ride it the more I absolutely love this bike. The power never lets up! Even in the sand I was easily doing 4the gear stand up wheelies! I never got to 5th as 4th was absolutely more than enough speed for what we were riding. Up dunes and pulling the front tire off the ground was intoxicating!
The bike just feels so much more flick able than the previous WR I'm also out 2 clicks on the front both comp and rebound 3 clicks on the rear and feel no need to change anything else.
We rode 4 hours and finally at around 186 degrees my fan came on despite the bike not running which was a welcome surprise as I did not think the bike was "powered" without an ignition switch and engine not running.
Today was the first time to let the bike just RIP! And it does so with ease!
I also loaded the map discussed in the stickies in this forum that was the aggressive tune and I did not notice much difference due to the lack of traction. I probably put about 3 additional miles on the rear tire verses the front as I had it flinging sand pretty much all the time and at will and any time I wanted to. The throttle response is very controlled to the point that you ask, and it does! I had total control of how much weight I wanted on the front tire and when.
I discovered that at any time I wanted even while riding steady all I had to do was grip the bike with my legs, lean back and twist in 3rd and 4th gear and the bike made a slow gradual transition into a wheelie that I could hold almost indefinitely. (This was in sand) on traction areas of course it was more abrupt..
All I can say is the 6 hours of driving was well worth the 4 hours of fun in the sand.
I got my buddy to take some video of me jumping some dunes and landing on the rear tire and without dropping the front tire ride a wheelie on out for about 100 yards it was absolute awesome! I'm doing stuff on this bike I never dreamed was within my riding ability.
Either this bike has inspired confidence in me I didn't know I had or is just easier to get it to do what my mind is thinking?
Either way I'm having so much fun riding it I feel like a drug addict on crack!

If any of you are on the fence with this bike, trust me you won't regret it 1 bit! If you've ever ridden a YZ450F and wished it had e start and better gearing for trails, this bike is everything in your wet dreams you imagined it would be!

I cannot wait till summer because with everything in colorado covered in snow it's damn inconvenient to have to drive 3+ hours away to enjoy it!

As soon as I get the video I'll post it here

Edited by Bass Mechanic, January 23, 2016 - 08:32 PM.

• the go-devil

Posted January 23, 2016 - 10:09 PM

If any of you are on the fence with this bike, trust me you won't regret it 1 bit! If you've ever ridden a YZ450F and wished it had e start and better gearing for trails, this bike is everything in your wet dreams you imagined it would be!

I second this statement. I have had my FX out for a couple good rides now and I feel like I'm in a weird dream where everything is going my way now that I'm finished with my abusive relationship I had with my 12 YZ450F.
I have gone from preparing for war on technical rocky uphills to now seeking out them out for the fun of it. The engine on this bike feels like a very responsive XR600 to me. The front tire feels much more planted and the handling is balanced compared to the 12. I've noticed it is very forgiving while crossing over ruts to get to a better side of the trail.
Overall the most awesome Yamaha I have ever owned whether the trail is fast or technical.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.