Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • RMK800

Posted January 16, 2016 - 04:02 PM

Ugly! But I get my range.

I think I'm going to carry my extra fuel. That's the kinda tank you add to a bike that is 10 years old... Lol

• grayracer513

Posted January 16, 2016 - 04:08 PM

Comments on the Cycra Pro Bends.  I use them, and I'm quite satisfied.  Mine are bar mounted, rather than triple clamp mounted, and of course they didn't exactly fit because my bars aren't close enough to exactly like the ones the hand guard bar was bent to fit.  But with the judicial use of a sturdy vise and a couple of big crescent wrenches they soon did.  

They've been through a lot, they have, and the plastic ends are scarred, but still there, and I haven't had to replace a grip or a throttle tube because the end got torn off, haven't had a throttle stuffed full of sand, haven't bent or broken a lever, and I haven't had my fingers smashed by the clutch lever while having a loam facial, either.  I'm pretty happy with them.  They're tough.

That said, the dome-head Allen bolts that expand the bar end anchors will be short lived.  The sockets are too soft to be tightened adequately to keep the guard from rotating in a medium level impact, to begin with.  That means you have to keep after them all the time, and before you know it, the sockets are stripped.  Do yourself a favor and replace these with normal hex head bolts, preferably flange head, but with a washer, if not.  This is especially true if you have trouble getting the guard bar to sit in alignment with your desired position naturally when you tighten the inner mount. 

• RMK800

Posted January 16, 2016 - 04:19 PM

Comments on the Cycra Pro Bends. I use them, and I'm quite satisfied. Mine are bar mounted, rather than triple clamp mounted, and of course they didn't exactly fit because my bars aren't close enough to exactly like the ones the hand guard bar was bent to fit. But with the judicial use of a sturdy vise and a couple of big crescent wrenches they soon did.

They've been through a lot, they have, and the plastic ends are scarred, but still there, and I haven't had to replace a grip or a throttle tube because the end got torn off, haven't had a throttle stuffed full of sand, haven't bent or broken a lever, and I haven't had my fingers smashed by the clutch lever while having a loam facial, either. I'm pretty happy with them. They're tough.

That said, the dome-head Allen bolts that expand the bar end anchors will be short lived. The sockets are too soft to be tightened adequately to keep the guard from rotating in a medium level impact, to begin with. That means you have to keep after them all the time, and before you know it, the sockets are stripped. Do yourself a favor and replace these with normal hex head bolts, preferably flange head, but with a washer, if not. This is especially true if you have trouble getting the guard bar to sit in alignment with your desired position naturally when you tighten the inner mount.

Good to know. With these a ultra, they could have moved them to the outside a little more. I feel like my end of my hand and pinky could be exposed with the front guard.

• msgbean

Posted January 16, 2016 - 05:52 PM

Looks like you will have to keep doing wheelies when fuel gets low to get it to the rear where the pump is.

• mx9119

Posted January 16, 2016 - 10:05 PM

i would like to see it with the factory graphics and number plates on

• RockerYZWR

Posted January 17, 2016 - 10:37 AM

Comments on the Cycra Pro Bends. I use them, and I'm quite satisfied. Mine are bar mounted, rather than triple clamp mounted, and of course they didn't exactly fit because my bars aren't close enough to exactly like the ones the hand guard bar was bent to fit. But with the judicial use of a sturdy vise and a couple of big crescent wrenches they soon did.

They've been through a lot, they have, and the plastic ends are scarred, but still there, and I haven't had to replace a grip or a throttle tube because the end got torn off, haven't had a throttle stuffed full of sand, haven't bent or broken a lever, and I haven't had my fingers smashed by the clutch lever while having a loam facial, either. I'm pretty happy with them. They're tough.

That said, the dome-head Allen bolts that expand the bar end anchors will be short lived. The sockets are too soft to be tightened adequately to keep the guard from rotating in a medium level impact, to begin with. That means you have to keep after them all the time, and before you know it, the sockets are stripped. Do yourself a favor and replace these with normal hex head bolts, preferably flange head, but with a washer, if not. This is especially true if you have trouble getting the guard bar to sit in alignment with your desired position naturally when you tighten the inner mount.

The Cycra Pro Bends are an excellent product and have survived so many impacts with trees, rocks, and the earth and saved my hands and controls in the process. I run a button head Allen bolt on the right side to allow the brake line to slide over it when the suspension is moving, and I have to run the spacer to clear the master cyl. Well, of course it rounded out when I went to remove it one time, so no big deal - drilled it for an easy-out...and the easy-out broke off in there. Ok, you win this time. When I need to remove it, I do it by removing the clamp itself. But those Pro Bends are awesome, and the wrap-around design is way better for true offroad than any clip-on roost hand guard. I'm currently running that style on my WR (Cycra Primals) and they are 75% worthless if you have to actually deal with offroad stuff.
0117161220_HDR.jpg

• RockerYZWR

Posted January 17, 2016 - 10:40 AM

And whenever i really want it off, I'll just cut through at the spacer and go from there.

• stevenfallover

Posted January 17, 2016 - 11:25 AM

i would like to see it with the factory graphics and number plates on

Done. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5789.JPG

• KennyMc

Posted January 17, 2016 - 12:39 PM

You not a fan of the threaded bar ends? I always run them.
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453063164.534726.jpg

• mx9119

Posted January 17, 2016 - 01:18 PM

Done.

i really dont thinkits that bad from the pic, you can order oem replica graphics and stick em on and really wouldn't be able to tell? does it only come in that color? how much wider does it make your bike feel?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevenfallover

Posted January 17, 2016 - 01:25 PM

i really dont thinkits that bad from the pic, you can order oem replica graphics and stick em on and really wouldn't be able to tell? does it only come in that color? how much wider does it make your bike feel?

I think it comes in black as well, it is a bit wider, I do not think it will be a problem. When I put the OEM shroud against the tank it lines up. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5790.JPG
  • IMG_5791.JPG

• mx9119

Posted January 17, 2016 - 01:30 PM

I think it comes in black as well, it is a bit wider, I do not think it will be a problem. When I put the OEM shroud against the tank it lines up.

how much does that tank hold? have you ridden it yet?

• stevenfallover

Posted January 17, 2016 - 01:32 PM

how much does that tank hold? have you ridden it yet?

2.9 gallons, have not ridden yet with this fuel tank. Probably next weekend if we melt out. 

• Bass Mechanic

Posted January 17, 2016 - 04:38 PM

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453063164.534726.jpg

I've re read the last couple of posts a couple of time and I'm still scratching my head here. I've never had any problems with my hand guards or the bolts on the ends. But I like this kit pictured that I believe allows you to tap the bar with threads and put that insert in.
Can you explain the failure problem a little better and tell me where to get this kit just in case?
Thanks!

• KennyMc

Posted January 17, 2016 - 05:17 PM

I've re read the last couple of posts a couple of time and I'm still scratching my head here. I've never had any problems with my hand guards or the bolts on the ends. But I like this kit pictured that I believe allows you to tap the bar with threads and put that insert in.
Can you explain the failure problem a little better and tell me where to get this kit just in case?
Thanks!

Well, Gray explained his experience with them. In the past I've had them pull out a bit. This kit eliminates any potential failure with the expansion inserts so I've gone to using them.

http://www.promotobi...s-with-tap.html

Edited by KennyMc, January 17, 2016 - 05:18 PM.

• Jimmy boy

Posted January 17, 2016 - 05:23 PM

Thanks!

Best things ever made for guards. They stay right where you put them. If you use those w/ the other end to handlebar mounts , it priceless .

• grayracer513

Posted January 18, 2016 - 07:24 AM

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1453063164.534726.jpg

I haven't installed a set since they came out with those.  Does look like an improvement, though.  Still using the same flat or rounded head hex socket bolts to anchor the bar end, though.  It wasn't the expanding anchor that caused trouble, just the bolts themselves.  

• KennyMc

Posted January 18, 2016 - 08:16 AM

I haven't installed a set since they came out with those. Does look like an improvement, though. Still using the same flat or rounded head hex socket bolts to anchor the bar end, though. It wasn't the expanding anchor that caused trouble, just the bolts themselves.

Maybe cause one feels they need to "overly tighten" to get the expanding anchor to set? I say that cause I too have had that issue in the past with those. These pretty much eliminate all downside variables. Loosening them to make changes or adjustments to the bars for any reasons, they then just tighten right back up like any other bolt.

I like these specific ones as they have the collar on them that gives you just a tad more room. I red loctite them in so they are pretty much permanent. Have to get new bars, they sell them a bit cheaper without the tap. They do sell one made of nylon that I would assume would be able to be removed. Never tried those though.

• OldDutchFarm

Posted January 18, 2016 - 10:03 AM

I picked up my FX on Friday evening. I've got the front forks, swingarm and rear shock off to re-spring it and to re-grease the steering head and swingarm/shock linkages. Unfortunately, I will probably not get a chance to ride it until this coming weekend.

The story of how I ended up on this bike might help other riders who are also considering this bike. I rode an '04 YZ450 from '08 until late '13 that was set up nicely for woods riding. In late '13, I was having some right knee issues when someone asked me if I would sale it so, I sold it for what I paid for it back in '08. This past summer the knee was doing great so I found a '11 YZ450 close by for a good price and jumped back in. Two things to say about that bike - 1st) I could not believe the awesome power it made compared to the '04. It would pull effortless wheelies with my 6'4" 230lbs when changing to 4th gear with just a good twist of the throttle and 2) after a couple of rides I could already feel the knee getting sore. I rode it two weeks and sold it for what I paid for it and knowing that unfortunately, my knee now demanded a bike e-start. I ended up buying a '15 WR450 back in December. I thought that with some mods and a good FI map on that bike that I would be satisfied with the power. After adding a competition ECU, removing the throttle stop, removing the exhaust pea shooter, and riding it a few times, I knew that compared to the '11 YZ motor, I would never be satisfiued with the WR. My 14 yr old son is now the proud owner of the WR450 with my purchase of the FX! Having read all the reviews and comments on this site regarding the new FX, I am confident that it will be the perfect bike for me. I'll provide a short review after my first ride.

• GHILL28

Posted January 18, 2016 - 10:13 AM

Holy crap, what an abomination of a tank. I'm glad now I just set up my 14 for a do it all bike and have the standard IMS tank. I'll keep kicking it and maybe do the WR gears if I ever go in there to update the rod and the piston.

Edited by GHILL28, January 18, 2016 - 12:24 PM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.