Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted January 06, 2016 - 05:02 PM

I'd have to disagree with you here. If 450's excelled in this type of riding the hard Enduro series would see more 4 strokes on the podium.

Second, I was switching bikes with a buddy, he rides "a" class hare and hound stuff on a '15 yz 450. The way he had his bike set up made the tight rock stuff much easier than the nearly stock fx.

Like I said the fx wasn't bad, but if that type of riding is what you primarily do, you'll have to spend some time tweaking the fx, and even then there are better tools out there.

Hard enduro is different than the trails we ride.  And I'm not a pro hard enduro rider.  And I'm not racing.  Different horses for different courses.

• philfell

Posted January 06, 2016 - 05:08 PM

Hard enduro is different than the trails we ride. And I'm not a pro hard enduro rider. And I'm not racing. Different horses for different courses.

That's kind of the point of my original post, where I said there is some terrain where my 300 is better than the fx. But you originally dismissed this as me not having much 4 stroke experience, but once I got used to a 4 stroke, it is better.

• mx9119

Posted January 06, 2016 - 07:55 PM

Just installed all my powdercoated parts:D

Attached Thumbnails

• 1452138794142.jpg
  • 1452138824324.jpg

• RMK800

Posted January 06, 2016 - 10:31 PM

Just installed all my powdercoated parts:D

You powder coated the wheels, what does something like that cost? Does it last?

• motosinko805

Posted January 06, 2016 - 10:39 PM

Another review from Jimmy Lewis http://dirtbiketest....yamaha-yz450fx/
After I just rebuilt my rm I'll wait until fall, but this is definitely my next bike

• RMK800

Posted January 07, 2016 - 05:33 AM

After I just rebuilt my rm I'll wait until fall, but this is definitely my next bike

Good article, but I would have liked more of a enduro review. Single track stuff, tighter conditions riding.

• mx9119

Posted January 07, 2016 - 06:23 AM

You powder coated the wheels, what does something like that cost? Does it last?

The powdercoating was only $50, its getting the wheels re laced and trued thats spendy, unless you know how to do it yourself. Powdercoating is supposed to be extremely durable, this is the first set of wheels ive ever powdercoated so we'll see...

• cowboyona426

Posted January 07, 2016 - 06:39 AM

The powdercoating was only $50, its getting the wheels re laced and trued thats spendy, unless you know how to do it yourself. Powdercoating is supposed to be extremely durable, this is the first set of wheels ive ever powdercoated so we'll see...

Just be gentle with the tire irons.

• Jlash

Posted January 07, 2016 - 07:27 AM

not to hijack (my own thread) what's an average cost to have one laced and trued? I've got a new rim that needs put on.

• Monk

Posted January 07, 2016 - 08:03 AM

not to hijack (my own thread) what's an average cost to have one laced and trued? I've got a new rim that needs put on.

Should be no more then $80. It's quite easy to do yourself through. For a truing stand just put the wheel on the bike and true it there...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jlash

Posted January 07, 2016 - 08:06 AM

Thanks monk!

To the lucky guys that have the 450fx in their stable, how is the electronics area under the seat holding up and staying dry? On the 250fx page, there was a guy selling some sheet metal pieces to cover up that area. Have you noticed any dirt/water getting in there that would make this mod necessary on the larger bike?

• Motodisiac

Posted January 07, 2016 - 12:37 PM

Do you have an idea how much weight Powdercoating adds to your rims? I have heard it's pretty substantial number considering it's unsprung rotational mass.

• msgbean

Posted January 07, 2016 - 04:42 PM

how is the electronics area under the seat holding up and staying dry? 

It is going to get dirty and wet whenever you ride and also when I get back and wash it.  It is all waterproofed but I covered mine up more for looks than anything else.  I made one out of a black plastic folder from Walmart.

Attached Thumbnails

• wire cover.jpg

• mx9119

Posted January 07, 2016 - 05:20 PM

Do you have an idea how much weight Powdercoating adds to your rims? I have heard it's pretty substantial number considering it's unsprung rotational mass.

not enough you would ever notice

• Motodisiac

Posted January 08, 2016 - 05:49 PM

When I saw the bike at the bike show all exposed wiring made me think there was some cover missing. I can't believe it comes stock like this. 

It is going to get dirty and wet whenever you ride and also when I get back and wash it.  It is all waterproofed but I covered mine up more for looks than anything else.  I made one out of a black plastic folder from Walmart.

• BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted January 08, 2016 - 06:52 PM

Yeah I'm sold. Found one for $9100 OTD. What did you guys pay.

• mobgma

Posted January 08, 2016 - 08:55 PM

Can any1 comment on the suspension? Is it ideal for 170lb guy? 190 lb guy? 200+ lbs?

Thanks

• ckny

Posted January 09, 2016 - 05:33 AM

Can any1 comment on the suspension? Is it ideal for 170lb guy? 190 lb guy? 200+ lbs?

Thanks

Should be fine for 190.
I weigh 180 and it felt great, my buddy that owns one weighs 185.

• mx9119

Posted January 09, 2016 - 07:18 AM

Yeah I'm sold. Found one for $9100 OTD. What did you guys pay.

8752 was the best price in my area

• BolinJrsPit Crew

Posted January 09, 2016 - 08:07 AM

8752 was the best price in my area

Is that out the door? Where's your area.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.