Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2016 - 07:10 AM

None of the EFI YZF/WR/FX models need the stator rewound to use a light.  That information applies to the '09 and earlier YZ's.

• mobgma

Posted January 04, 2016 - 07:16 AM

None of the EFI YZF/WR/FX models need the stator rewound to use a light.  That information applies to the '09 and earlier YZ's.

Some bikes require this. I know on my Honda CRF450X if I wanted to install any sort of decent light I needed to have the stator rewound. That is cool that the YZ's come with a big enough stator.

Edited by mobgma, January 04, 2016 - 07:16 AM.

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2016 - 07:19 AM

The Hondas use a different system to prime the fuel injection.  Yamaha simply put a 140 watt generator in the bike so it would make enough electricity at cranking speeds to run the fuel pump.  Once they're running, they have a huge power surplus on tap.

• mobgma

Posted January 04, 2016 - 07:22 AM

If I do get this YZ450FX I would be new to the Yamaha world. I saw in another thread regarding a 2014 YZ450F. Can any who have owned a YZ450F/FX or YZ250F/FX comment on the below?

"AIR FILTER

A collection of dirt always forms in the lower section of the air filter. This makes me nervous while removing the air filter, that dirt is going to fall down in the intake. Its difficult to get to the dirt to clean it out before you take off the filter. I always lift it back towards the rear fender so hopefully any dirt will fall between the intake and plastic wall. There is a screen over the intake but some dirt has to be going through. Has any one found a fix for this?

GAS CAP

The gas cap is hard to get unscrewed, seems to stick and the geometry is horribly designed for a turning motion. Also it usually leaks if I have a full tank. No matter how tight it is."

• grayracer513

Posted January 04, 2016 - 07:59 AM

Fatal flaws if ever there were one. :rolleyes:

• Monk

Posted January 04, 2016 - 07:59 AM

If I do get this YZ450FX I would be new to the Yamaha world. I saw in another thread regarding a 2014 YZ450F. Can any who have owned a YZ450F/FX or YZ250F/FX comment on the below?

"AIR FILTER
A collection of dirt always forms in the lower section of the air filter. This makes me nervous while removing the air filter, that dirt is going to fall down in the intake. Its difficult to get to the dirt to clean it out before you take off the filter. I always lift it back towards the rear fender so hopefully any dirt will fall between the intake and plastic wall. There is a screen over the intake but some dirt has to be going through. Has any one found a fix for this?
GAS CAP
The gas cap is hard to get unscrewed, seems to stick and the geometry is horribly designed for a turning motion. Also it usually leaks if I have a full tank. No matter how tight it is."

Compressed air and a dab of grease... Problem solved...

• ckny

Posted January 04, 2016 - 08:07 AM

I just use twin air filters, never have a problem. I give it a quick blast of air before taking the filter off.
No issues with the gas cap for me, I do run a fuel filter sock in the tank to protect against dirt clogging an injector or fu l pump.

• Not sponsored

Posted January 04, 2016 - 03:15 PM

I like the stock look. I have a BD Squadron XL coming to fill in the shell...

20150509_091341_zpsui1idxwq.jpg

Are these the lights off the WR and if so do they plug right in somewhere? Also is that an ims tank? How much fuel does it hold?

• Monk

Posted January 04, 2016 - 03:38 PM

Are these the lights off the WR and if so do they plug right in somewhere? Also is that an ims tank? How much fuel does it hold?

The front is a stock WR unit, no its not a plug and play. The rear taillight is a Polisport unit that I have wired with a rear brake hydraulic switch.

The IMS is 2.9g

• Not sponsored

Posted January 04, 2016 - 05:39 PM

The front is a stock WR unit, no its not a plug and play. The rear taillight is a Polisport unit that I have wired with a rear brake hydraulic switch.
The IMS is 2.9g

Is yours the f or fx? I thought wr lights were plug and play on the fx, Just picked up mine today and it has mounts for a tail light under the rear fender. Forgive me if this has been covered already.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Monk

Posted January 04, 2016 - 05:45 PM

Is yours the f or fx? I thought wr lights were plug and play on the fx, Just picked up mine today and it has mounts for a tail light under the rear fender. Forgive me if this has been covered already.

I have a "f"

• RMK800

Posted January 04, 2016 - 06:07 PM

The IMS is 2.9g

I was out at Rockymtn and did a look up for this tank for a yz450f. There is a clear and a black. What's interesting is they both look totally different. Will they both work?

Do you know how many mpg your roughly getting... On my WR I could ride roughly 70m before hitting reserve with the stock tank.

Edited by RMK800, January 04, 2016 - 06:27 PM.

• Monk

Posted January 04, 2016 - 06:25 PM

I was out at Rockymtn and did a look up for this tank for a yz450f. There is a clear and a black. What's interesting is they both look totally different. Will they both work?

Look the same to me. I have both the drybreak and standard OS tank. Both fit equally as well...

• RMK800

Posted January 04, 2016 - 06:29 PM

Look the same to me. I have both the drybreak and standard OS tank. Both fit equally as well...

K.

Do you know how many mpg your roughly getting... I know there is a lot of variables... Just curious. On my WR I could ride roughly 70m before hitting reserve with the stock tank.

Edited by RMK800, January 04, 2016 - 06:45 PM.

• Monk

Posted January 04, 2016 - 07:35 PM

K.

Do you know how many mpg your roughly getting... I know there is a lot of variables... Just curious. On my WR I could ride roughly 70m before hitting reserve with the stock tank.

60 miles or so...

• Motodisiac

Posted January 04, 2016 - 10:10 PM

On bigger tank? You must be hauling ass.

• RMK800

Posted January 04, 2016 - 10:16 PM

60 miles for a 2.9 gallon tank isn't much.

• Monk

Posted January 04, 2016 - 10:18 PM

On bigger tank? You must be hauling ass.

I did something like a 140 mile race last year over 8hrs, I filled up 3 times and had a gallon left at the end...

• mobgma

Posted January 05, 2016 - 07:39 PM

Would love to see one of these decal kits on this bike.

B6E287C5-4C60-482A-8DE4-FC26EC593B6B_zps

17E2CAA8-16E7-41CE-B058-B95C6018AA8E_zps

E6515F3A-5E98-4653-AFA8-1E5F7742490F_zps

• RockerYZWR

Posted January 05, 2016 - 08:57 PM

I like that third one.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.