Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • motocrotts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 04:13 PM

Rode my 450fx for the first time today, overall i was very impressed. Power was amazing, handling was very good right out of the box, I'll have to play with the clickers some, but I don't think I'll need a revalve. It never felt heavy to me at all and was extremely balanced.

I put a Scott's damper, rekluse, and spark arrester end cap, and hand guards, other than that the bike is stock. I set the sag at 98mm and left the clickers stock

For comparison I'm coming off a 2012 Ktm 300 xc with a sx head and sx cdi, revaled and set up suspension, and usually finish in the front third of the B class desert races stuff, no motocross for me.

Let us know how it does in the tight stuff.

• Monk

Posted December 31, 2015 - 05:09 PM

Let us know how it does in the tight stuff.

It's a tank, every 450 is...

• Stonyford riders

Posted December 31, 2015 - 05:45 PM

Does the yz450f recluse fit the fx?

Edited by Stonyford riders, December 31, 2015 - 05:46 PM.

• philfell

Posted December 31, 2015 - 05:53 PM

Yup, I got it from rocky mtn, for a 2016 yz450f. Fit no problem

• Bass Mechanic

Posted December 31, 2015 - 05:56 PM

Please do. I thought it was longer. At least that is what I had seen on the YZ450F bikes. We all eagerly await.

Here you go
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1451613364.943310.jpg ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1451613382.668559.jpg

• mobgma

Posted December 31, 2015 - 06:05 PM

Robby Bell Hot Lap on the 450FX. Wow. 

• mobgma

Posted December 31, 2015 - 06:08 PM

Thanks Bass! Looks GREAT!

You didn't take a direct side shot but they look about the same as stock. Basing off stock online pics.

Edited by mobgma, December 31, 2015 - 06:09 PM.

• Stonyford riders

Posted December 31, 2015 - 08:31 PM

Ok I'll pick one up... Thanks

• mx9119

Posted January 01, 2016 - 12:48 PM

here's the dr. d ns4 on the fx

Attached Thumbnails

• 1451681287778.jpg
  • 1451681305890.jpg

• mobgma

Posted January 01, 2016 - 06:03 PM

here's the dr. d ns4 on the fx

Wonder what the weight diff is against the FMF.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bass Mechanic

Posted January 02, 2016 - 04:56 PM

ok so i got a chance to take the bike out today and actually ride it. i went to a local track of sorts really just an area to play in and i was the only one there so i could take my time breaking it in. i put about 1 hour on the bike and went about 10 miles.

in short the bike is awesome! i ended up taking 3 clicks out of the compression and rebound of the front forks. 2 clicks out of the rear and the suspension is very good! the power of the bike is just off the hook. it feels easily 20-30 lbs lighter than my 13 wr 450 was especially in the front end.

the track did not allow me to really get on it much but i did find a road i could rip a little on. i stayed below about 3/4 throttle after i had already ridden about 45 minutes and just got through 1,2,3 and into 4th gear. the bike is scary fast!

hard to believe the old WR was a 450. i remember what it was like before i did the cam timing and what an improvement it made, this new FX is better than my modded wr was right out of the box in every category.

i knew from the beginning the front brake needed to break in a little as i was not getting much grip from it initially. so i spent some time woking the brake and i am happy to report the brakes are awesome! you can easily lock up the front tire with 1 finger!

i can tell the clutch pull is easier and more precise in the amount of slip you need. but ill be putting my reckluse in soon anyway.

i went ahead and plugged in my GYTR tuner and the only map i had handy was the modified one that was on my WR when i sold it. this was the map that the tech dyno tuned my bike on for the max HP. so rather than make a new one i just uploaded it to see if it made any difference. i could tell it had a little more top end but the fuel trims and timing advance for the most part on that map were mostly 0 to +3 so i may experiment with adding a little more timing as i get more seat time on the bike.

also i live at 6500 feet but i can tell this bike has easily the same power as the YZ i rode a few months back but i can also tell the flywheel is a little heavier than the YZ450F but not as heavy as the WR was. the MX bike had just a little more authority to each power stroke but you can tell the power is still there just smoother than the MX bike which is to be expected with the heavier flywheel and crank.

overall i can't find anything i don't like about the bike.

it has exceeded my expectations in every way. it is exactly what you might expect if you mixed a YZ with a WR. it has the light weight and agility any woods rider will appreciate, and the power of the MX bike when you need it along with the right gearing that the MX'r never had.

the fact they called it a YZ450FX seems totally appropriate because it really is a combination of both!

in the few areas i was able to open it up a little 3rd gear has always been my favorite, it has the torque to still climb anything, wheelie when i need it to and rev out on a straight section without the need to switch gears. the FX excels in this gear even more so. when we ride desert or over whoops and some rocks or hills i often ride in 3rd. now with this motor there is even more to love about the way this bike runs. it never lacks torque, HP is always a twist away and if you grab another gear it just goes faster with what seems the same gusto as the gear before it.

on the low speeds it almost feels like it might be geared just a tad taller but it could be my imagination. maybe someone can confirm my old 13 WR was 13/50 but i don't know if the previous gen 12-15 WR trans ratios are exactly the same as the new 16's or not. but either way I've always felt the ratios were perfect anyway and nothing has changed in that department as far as i can tell.

also it may be just because it is a new bike but i find the shifter shifts easier than my previous bike.

the FMF titanium slip on i put on the bike sounds awesome! not loud at all but sounds like a chainsaw nice and smooth not barky or obnoxious. i never did get the radiator fan to come on, and the hottest the bike got was 160 degrees so i have not been able to test that. but it was 45 degrees today here.

also if any of you plan to install the trail tech voyager ill have to post pictures of mine, it took me a while to get that on the bike in a way that wouldn't pinch the throttle cables. i wish yamaha made them about 1 inch longer. the way they wrap around the triple clamp on top makes for a tight stretch when turned all the way to the right. i installed my GPR steering damper on it last week and that raises the handle bars up about .75 inch making the cable's even shorter. so i ended up not using their h beam clamp on the bar and instead used the tops of the factory risers so i could use the bolts to mount the trail tech protector and voyager computer.

it all fits pretty tight because the WR had room behind the headlight and with the MX number plate things are cramped under the handle bars.

also i had to rig up the wheel sensor, modify and drill a new hole to mount it because the larger rotor makes it farther away from the magnet on the brake rotor. i called TT and they said they were aware and are working on a new unit. so they are supposed to cell me when it's ready to purchase. mine is working but i don't like the way i had to modify it. it looks ugly but is functional.

anyway, so there you have it! any of you considering this bike you will not be disappointed. i am so glad i did not buy the 2016 450 KTM XC-F i think it would have been a really nice bike but for the additional money i just don't feel like you could have improved much on this package! if anything it may feel a little bit lighter, but the way this feels i am very happy with the weight if the KTM is lighter feeling, who cares! i do know the gearing of the KTM is much taller! too tall for what i ride mostly and the suspension is so good with the blue bike i cannot imagine the 4cs forks with the complaints i've read would be worth the headache. for what i spent on this bike, even if the differences are noticeable ones compared to the KTM i still don't think i could justify the additional cost.

• tomerb

Posted January 02, 2016 - 05:20 PM

How does it start compared to your WR and is the front end bite/traction as good as your WR or does it tend to wash out easier........

• msgbean

Posted January 02, 2016 - 05:28 PM

Bass I mounted my Trail Tech behind the pad using the mount that came with it.  It probably wouldn't work for you because you use a dampener but I really like how it turned out and its pretty much protected.

Attached Thumbnails

• TT frjont.jpg
  • TT Side.jpg

• Bass Mechanic

Posted January 02, 2016 - 05:36 PM

How does it start compared to your WR and is the front end bite/traction as good as your WR or does it tend to wash out easier........

i think it starts better then my WR but truth be told my dealer makes a modification to them when new to make them start a lot better.. i didn't push the bike hard for several reasons..

1 it is brand new.

2. i hate riding track where i always end up getting hurt

3. in august, as much as a shocker this was to me at age 45 and not unhealthy at all i ended up with a 95% blockage in my coronary artery! ended up getting a stent. doctor says he absolutely against me riding bikes. i am on several blood thinners and anti coagulant meds so getting a boo, boo is totally out of the question for me especially riding alone!

so needless to say i was being careful..

personally i generally never push the limits of my bike even before my health issues. i don't evaluate the limits of any bikes i have ridden mostly because i hate getting hurt. dont get me wrong i am a solid B rider and ride with some experienced guys, but i hate needles and hospitals more then i enjoy pushing the limits. so unfortunately i cannot tell you where the limits of the bike are because truth be told i avoid washing out the front end. never had any spills on the wr due to high speed turns and didn't experience any unsettling of the FX either.

ive ridden 3 seasons without so much as a fall and on some mostly nasty rocky trails. i am more of a technical rider i think.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted January 02, 2016 - 05:39 PM

Bass I mounted my Trail Tech behind the pad using the mount that came with it.  It probably wouldn't work for you because you use a dampener but I really like how it turned out and its pretty much protected.

you have an endurance computer, quite a bit smaller and a lot less wires than mine. i like the mount you did but it simply is not possible with the voyager.

i suppose you could make a new bracket that attaches from the top. mine looks ok i guess the front brake cable hits it slightly on jumps. but otherwise i think it will be ok.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted January 02, 2016 - 06:42 PM

i think it starts better then my WR but truth be told my dealer makes a modification to them when new to make them start a lot better.. i didn't push the bike hard for several reasons..

1 it is brand new.

2. i hate riding track where i always end up getting hurt

3. in august, as much as a shocker this was to me at age 45 and not unhealthy at all i ended up with a 95% blockage in my coronary artery! ended up getting a stent. doctor says he absolutely against me riding bikes. i am on several blood thinners and anti coagulant meds so getting a boo, boo is totally out of the question for me especially riding alone!

so needless to say i was being careful..

personally i generally never push the limits of my bike even before my health issues. i don't evaluate the limits of any bikes i have ridden mostly because i hate getting hurt. dont get me wrong i am a solid B rider and ride with some experienced guys, but i hate needles and hospitals more then i enjoy pushing the limits. so unfortunately i cannot tell you where the limits of the bike are because truth be told i avoid washing out the front end. never had any spills on the wr due to high speed turns and didn't experience any unsettling of the FX either.

ive ridden 3 seasons without so much as a fall and on some mostly nasty rocky trails. i am more of a technical rider i think.

De-acidify your diet and get off those blood thinner meds!  They are more dangerous than good. 

Your body makes colesterol to plug the leaks in your hard arteries, made hard from soaking in blodd that is so acidic.

You need to Alkali your body with Alkaline water and fresh foods.

Best of luck to you.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted January 02, 2016 - 07:21 PM

De-acidify your diet and get off those blood thinner meds!  They are more dangerous than good. 

Your body makes colesterol to plug the leaks in your hard arteries, made hard from soaking in blodd that is so acidic.

You need to Alkali your body with Alkaline water and fresh foods.

Best of luck to you.

with all due respect, ill leave my meds to my cardiologist to decide.

i was never really eating bad stuff besides soda, ive given that up and lost 15 lbs as a result.

one of the meds i am on prevents clotting without it my stent will clog up and i am guaranteed to have a heart attack! i have to be on effient for a year until the stent gets filled with cells or my body will try to clot the inside of the stent. 

the blood thinners are just aspirin, and i am also on 40mg of lipitor. doc says he has been to several studies that prove higher dosages of this drug can actually lower the amount of plaque already in the artery. other docs say it's not true.. time will tell.

the fact is i did not have a heart attack so thats good. heart muscle itself is actually performing better than most healthy people (i am lucky i caught it early)

also taking a couple other meds that have been proven to be beneficial for people with my problem.

people keep asking me how i feel. i tell them i feel great! before i felt like i wasn't getting enough oxygen when i was doing anything that caused a heart rate increase but at the same time i did noto feel out of breath. turns out i was right, my heart wasn't getting the oxygen it needed.

and for any of you reading this let this be a warning. this condition does not happen to just fat people i am 5'8" and weigh 190 lbs it can be hereditary and can skip generations.

the warning signs are chest pain, kind of hard to describe exactly not like heart burn and it is different for everyone. in my case my arm pits and under arms both left and right felt "tired" kinda achy like but not really painful. but the tell tale sign is it was directly related to my heart rate. in my case i knew i had a real issue because every time my adrenalin was up like say i was at a stop light and the guy next to me wants to race.

keep in mind i am sitting in the car doing nothing but like anyone your heart rate goes up as the adrenalin starts pumping. my apple watch showed i had a heart rate of 183 beats per minute! SITTING IN THE CAR! and i would feel the pain, pressure in my arms, chest.. as soon as the heart rate returned to a normal rate the symptoms were gone. it's called Angina and its a lot more common than people think.

if you ever feel something strange like this and related to your heart rate you need to get checked immediately! i was 5% away from a heart attack and did not even know it!

so let my story be a warning to you. this went on for about a year before i decided to get seen and the stress test showed abnormality in the EKG doc wanted me in for a heart cath the very next day!

nothing to mess around with. i thought if every excuse i could think of from indigestion to allergies anything but admitting i was having heart issues. its normal to assume it wont happen to you until you end up dropping dead from a heart attack.

lessons learned..

• philfell

Posted January 02, 2016 - 08:36 PM

It's a tank, every 450 is...

Yup, pretty much.

I rode some tight slow rocky stuff today, while the fx wasn't "bad" my 300 is way easier to ride in the stuff, mostly when you make a mistake the 300 is easier to correct. The fx has so much power right off idle it is hard to control in the slippery, snow covered rocks we were riding today. I'm going to play with some mapping to try to mellow it out just off of idle.

In every other place I've had the fx, it comes out ahead of my 300.

Bass' write up is pretty inline with my experience so far.

• Motodisiac

Posted January 02, 2016 - 09:08 PM

Nice review, keep them coming. I'm trying to decide between 450FX and WR450.

• mobgma

Posted January 02, 2016 - 10:40 PM

More reviews. More pics.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.