Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • RockerYZWR

Posted December 27, 2015 - 12:30 PM

I find this statement funny as you went through a huge amount of hassle, time and money to make a WR light...

light ...er

• KennyMc

Posted December 27, 2015 - 12:58 PM

light ...er

:smirk:

• motocrotts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 07:37 AM

Lol, knock 20lbs off the FX, add a billet clutch basket combined with a hydraulic clutch, add a larger fuel tank, (suspension is really subjective as everyone should have it setup for themselves regardless of which brand), pump up the braking power of the FX with SS lines, and let me know how the "$11k" machine doesn't present some clear advantages over a FX?

Here is the real kicker though, both of you have never even ridden a 16 KTM so you don't even know what a $11k KTM is like to ride. You can't compare...

Hard to lose 15lbs, add a billet clutch basket, larger tank on the 450FX, hydro clutch, better brakes, and a few oddities to get the FX close or up to par to a XCF.

If you ride the KTM it will need a fan.  If it sits in the garage it won't.  Even Dungy runs a fan!  Better bring your jumper cables if it's cold outside.  Oem battery won't start the bike if it's cold out.  Better add $1000-$1500 to fix the suspension, not to tune it for your specifics, but to fix it. Be ready to play with the spokes like Liberace on the key boards.  Plus any further R&D KTM didn't have time for, you get to figure out.  IMHO if you want a GOOD Ktm spend the $3500 bucks and get the A kit suspension package, thats what all the Pro's use.  They don't use that junk they sell to the public for 11 grand.  Or, just buy a stock Yammie.

• grayracer513

Posted December 28, 2015 - 08:03 AM

I find this statement funny as you went through a huge amount of hassle, time and money to make a WR light...

It is one of the more ironic things that's been posted lately.

• Navaho6

Posted December 28, 2015 - 07:28 PM

I spent some more time on a 450FX today, small MX track, sand track, single track and fast GNCC type terrain. Bike was great, suspension is braking in. Really enjoyed it like I did the first time. Engine braking seems a little more than the 250. Weight never bothered me, I think people make too much of the weight issue. Rode with my 2 buddies, we are top 5 plus 40 expert racers. Bike did everything well and I didn't notice much weight difference between my 250 and the 450. Rode some slow rooty, wet snotty technical single track and the bike was awesome.

What is your preference between the 250FX and 450FX on tight single track ???

Edited by Navaho6, December 28, 2015 - 07:29 PM.

• ckny

Posted December 29, 2015 - 03:20 AM

What is your preference between the 250FX and 450FX on tight single track ???

250 for me.

• mobgma

Posted December 29, 2015 - 12:08 PM

I hear the 2016 KTM's are having issues with spokes, footpeg springs and some bolts loose. Can anyone confirm?

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted December 29, 2015 - 12:47 PM

A stock 2012 WR450F is a top heavy pig in tight woods.  Lopping off 25 pounds makes a big difference in how it FEELS and handles.

My lightened WR450F weighs ~250 pounds, full of fuel, ready to ride.  My YZ250FX weighs 252 pounds, but feels a lot more nimble and a lot lighter.  Less flywheel, less reciprocating mass and more mass centralization ? 

I've ridden a 2015 YZ450F in tight woods.  It feels a little more top heavy than my WR at times, but also more nimble turning and such.  In the really slow stuff my WR is better but as soon as it opens up the YZ is better.  I think that is mainly due to the forks.

The YZ250FX is better than all these bikes in the tight and in the open, except that it needs more power.  It is fun to ride because it is a bit more challenging due to the lack of abundant power, but I'd love to have 450 power with the YZ250FX handling.

I love that Yamaha gave the 450FX a really low first gear.   You might only use it once a ride, but when you need it, you need it. 

I can't wait to ride a YZ450FX.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, December 29, 2015 - 12:53 PM.

• RMK800

Posted December 29, 2015 - 05:36 PM

A stock 2012 WR450F is a top heavy pig in tight woods. Lopping off 25 pounds makes a big difference in how it FEELS and handles.

My lightened WR450F weighs ~250 pounds, full of fuel, ready to ride. My YZ250FX weighs 252 pounds, but feels a lot more nimble and a lot lighter. Less flywheel, less reciprocating mass and more mass centralization ?

I've ridden a 2015 YZ450F in tight woods. It feels a little more top heavy than my WR at times, but also more nimble turning and such. In the really slow stuff my WR is better but as soon as it opens up the YZ is better. I think that is mainly due to the forks.

The YZ250FX is better than all these bikes in the tight and in the open, except that it needs more power. It is fun to ride because it is a bit more challenging due to the lack of abundant power, but I'd love to have 450 power with the YZ250FX handling.

I love that Yamaha gave the 450FX a really low first gear. You might only use it once a ride, but when you need it, you need it.

I can't wait to ride a YZ450FX.

Well I will use the low first gear. I ride up a lot of steep canyons and back down. I love a low first gear on downhill, I don't have to work my brakes or clutch as much. I personally like the engine breaking. I changed my WR to 51 on the rear to help with this. I would rather have low end over top end. I just don't don't need a bike gearing that needs to go over 65 to 70 mph on dirt. I don't ride a lot of ATV/side by side roads.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted December 29, 2015 - 06:10 PM

FYI, my WR is geared 12/51.  People on the WR forum made fun of me for that, but it works great.  It is the same speed as the 2 strokes when idling and the engine is revved up a bit at slow speeds so the throttle response is good for trials type riding.  It also makes 2nd and 3rd closer and more usable.

We've regeared 2 other WRs with 12 tooth front sprockets and the riders on both of them thought it was a good change.

The YZ450F also got a 12 tooth front sprocket but it still isn't slow enough in snotty, ugly conditions.  The last I heard the owner was going for 12/52 on it.  It is also a bit stall prone and a bugger to restart if you do stall it.

I can't wait to ride the 450FX.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bass Mechanic

Posted December 30, 2015 - 10:23 PM

Ok if anyone is curious I got my fmf titanium exhaust installed and took some more accurate measurements. The factory pipe weighs 6 lbs 11.2 oz the header weighs 2 lbs 3.6 oz
I can confirm fmf weight for the slip on titanium weighs 4lbs 7 oz so their claim of 4.1 is pretty much dead on. So if you get the full system at 5.7 lbs you save 3.3 lbs.
So far I like the sound and it's too cold outside to give any other impressions

• mobgma

Posted December 31, 2015 - 07:04 AM

Ok if anyone is curious I got my fmf titanium exhaust installed and took some more accurate measurements. The factory pipe weighs 6 lbs 11.2 oz the header weighs 2 lbs 3.6 oz
I can confirm fmf weight for the slip on titanium weighs 4lbs 7 oz so their claim of 4.1 is pretty much dead on. So if you get the full system at 5.7 lbs you save 3.3 lbs.
So far I like the sound and it's too cold outside to give any other impressions

OMG PICS PLEASE. Curious to see ow much longer the FMF is compared to stock.

Edited by mobgma, December 31, 2015 - 07:16 AM.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted December 31, 2015 - 07:20 AM

OMG PICS PLEASE. Curious to see ow much longer the FMF is compared to stock.

actually it is a bit shorter than stock I like the way it hides behind the side panel. in fact you can only see the carbon fiber tip. ill get a pic to you soon..

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 31, 2015 - 08:11 AM

I hear the 2016 KTM's are having issues with spokes, footpeg springs and some bolts loose. Can anyone confirm?

According to the forums, yes. 

The footpeg springs are already a recall item.

Rear sprocket bolts and spokes getting looses has always been a KTM  thing.

Still no factory recall on the forks though.... :smashpc:

• mobgma

Posted December 31, 2015 - 08:21 AM

actually it is a bit shorter than stock I like the way it hides behind the side panel. in fact you can only see the carbon fiber tip. ill get a pic to you soon..

Please do. I thought it was longer. At least that is what I had seen on the YZ450F bikes. We all eagerly await.

• motocrotts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 12:42 PM

According to the forums, yes. 

The footpeg springs are already a recall item.

Rear sprocket bolts and spokes getting looses has always been a KTM  thing.

Still no factory recall on the forks though.... :smashpc:

You're on your own with the spokes.  A bottle of loctite goes a long way on KTM's.  Something wrong with the forks?

• KennyMc

Posted December 31, 2015 - 01:02 PM

You're on your own with the spokes.?

Not so much.......

http://motorbikewrit...ces-ktm-recall/

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 31, 2015 - 02:23 PM

You're on your own with the spokes.  A bottle of loctite goes a long way on KTM's.  Something wrong with the forks?

https://www.google.c...249.MRmqCUePq70

• philfell

Posted December 31, 2015 - 03:52 PM

Rode my 450fx for the first time today, overall i was very impressed. Power was amazing, handling was very good right out of the box, I'll have to play with the clickers some, but I don't think I'll need a revalve. It never felt heavy to me at all and was extremely balanced.

I put a Scott's damper, rekluse, and spark arrester end cap, and hand guards, other than that the bike is stock. I set the sag at 98mm and left the clickers stock

For comparison I'm coming off a 2012 Ktm 300 xc with a sx head and sx cdi, revaled and set up suspension, and usually finish in the front third of the B class desert races stuff, no motocross for me.

• stevenfallover

Posted December 31, 2015 - 04:08 PM

Rode my 450fx for the first time today, overall i was very impressed. Power was amazing, handling was very good right out of the box, I'll have to play with the clickers some, but I don't think I'll need a revalve. It never felt heavy to me at all and was extremely balanced.

I put a Scott's damper, rekluse, and spark arrester end cap, and hand guards, other than that the bike is stock. I set the sag at 98mm and left the clickers stock

For comparison I'm coming off a 2012 Ktm 300 xc with a sx head and sx cdi, revaled and set up suspension, and usually finish in the front third of the B class desert races stuff, no motocross for me.

I am picking up mine next week, can you tell me if there is a harness for a headl light?

Thanks.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.