Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • Bass Mechanic

Posted December 25, 2015 - 08:06 PM

Well, my wonderful wife made the decision for me.......
attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1451074024.613545.jpg

Mine also, she put this in a new money clip. Going to order a 450FX tomorrow. I have never purchased anything new. This will be my first ever. That includes all cars, bikes, snowmobiles, etc. Excited! Going to be huge over my 07 WR450.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1451083582.236109.jpg

guys like you make me laugh!

i am married also but i never ask my wife where or if i can spend money.

when we were first married and i wanted to buy my first bike she said "no way" i ended up buying 2 one for street and another for the dirt.

she is very non materialistic, low maintenance type but i keep her in a brand new car every couple years and we never argue about money.

i make about 2/3rd's of it so i get to spend it on whatever i want to!

• KennyMc

Posted December 25, 2015 - 08:25 PM

guys like you make me laugh!
i am married also but i never ask my wife where or if i can spend money.
when we were first married and i wanted to buy my first bike she said "no way" i ended up buying 2 one for street and another for the dirt.
she is very non materialistic, low maintenance type but i keep her in a brand new car every couple years and we never argue about money.
i make about 2/3rd's of it so i get to spend it on whatever i want to!

I'm glad I was able to give you a chuckle :thumbsup: For the rest of what you wrote, well, that gave me a chuckle so I thank you back :lol:

Edited by KennyMc, December 25, 2015 - 09:46 PM.

• the go-devil

Posted December 25, 2015 - 10:57 PM

Mine also, she put this in a new money clip. Going to order a 450FX tomorrow. I have never purchased anything new. This will be my first ever. That includes all cars, bikes, snowmobiles, etc. Excited! Going to be huge over my 07 WR450.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1451083582.236109.jpg

You are in for a treat, it is a phenomenal machine. It will make that 07 WR feel like an XR400.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted December 26, 2015 - 09:07 AM

The 2016 KTM 450XCF weighs 227 pounds with no fuel.   http://www.motorcycl...off-road-bikes/

2 gallons of fuel weighs 13 pounds,  so that puts it at 240 pounds with fuel.  It needs a linkage guard (2 ish pounds), skid plate and probably a cooling fan (1.5 pounds).   It already has a lithium battery.  So ready to ride it is 240 + 2 + 1.5 = 243.5 pounds.

The 2016 YZ 450FX weighs 262 pounds with fuel.  It loses 3 pounds with a Shoria battery.  A foot peg swap yields another pound.  Removing the kick stand drops another 2+ pounds.  It already has a skid plate, but doesn't have hand guards, so that is a wash between the FX and the XCF.  It runs fine without a fan.  262 - 3 - 1 -2 = 256 pounds.

The weight difference between the bikes is 15.5 pounds.

The KTM doesn't have a kick starter.   The FX does.   Removing it yields about 2 pounds, bringing the difference to 13.5 pounds.

The KTM has WP suspension.  It will take some serious work to get it as good as the Yamaha suspension.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, December 26, 2015 - 09:09 AM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted December 26, 2015 - 09:12 AM

I'm trying to figure out if I want 2 Yamahas (YZ250FX and YZ450FX) in my garage or a single KTM 350 XCF.  I already have the YZ250FX, though I haven't ridden it much.

My only time on a KTM 350 was on a 2015 350 SXF with some engine work done on it, set up for woods.  I thought it was great.  It felt light and the 2016s are lighter than the 2015s.  The engine felt good, very snappy, but it wasn't stock.  I need to ride a 2016 KTM 350XCF. 

• Monk

Posted December 26, 2015 - 09:48 AM

The 2016 KTM 450XCF weighs 227 pounds with no fuel. http://www.motorcycl...off-road-bikes/

2 gallons of fuel weighs 13 pounds, so that puts it at 240 pounds with fuel. It needs a linkage guard (2 ish pounds), skid plate and probably a cooling fan (1.5 pounds). It already has a lithium battery. So ready to ride it is 240 + 2 + 1.5 = 243.5 pounds.

The 2016 YZ 450FX weighs 262 pounds with fuel. It loses 3 pounds with a Shoria battery. A foot peg swap yields another pound. Removing the kick stand drops another 2+ pounds. It already has a skid plate, but doesn't have hand guards, so that is a wash between the FX and the XCF. It runs fine without a fan. 262 - 3 - 1 -2 = 256 pounds.

The KTM doesn't have a kick starter. The FX does. Removing it yields about 2 pounds, bringing the difference to 13.5 pounds.

The KTM has WP suspension. It will take some serious work to get it as good as the Yamaha suspension.

Hard to lose 15lbs, add a billet clutch basket, larger tank on the 450FX, hydro clutch, better brakes, and a few oddities to get the FX close or up to par to a XCF.

• RMK800

The 2016 KTM 450XCF weighs 227 pounds with no fuel. http://www.motorcycl...off-road-bikes/

2 gallons of fuel weighs 13 pounds, so that puts it at 240 pounds with fuel. It needs a linkage guard (2 ish pounds), skid plate and probably a cooling fan (1.5 pounds). It already has a lithium battery. So ready to ride it is 240 + 2 + 1.5 = 243.5 pounds.

The 2016 YZ 450FX weighs 262 pounds with fuel. It loses 3 pounds with a Shoria battery. A foot peg swap yields another pound. Removing the kick stand drops another 2+ pounds. It already has a skid plate, but doesn't have hand guards, so that is a wash between the FX and the XCF. It runs fine without a fan. 262 - 3 - 1 -2 = 256 pounds.

The KTM doesn't have a kick starter. The FX does. Removing it yields about 2 pounds, bringing the difference to 13.5 pounds.

The KTM has WP suspension. It will take some serious work to get it as good as the Yamaha suspension.

Another weight item, I've had good luck with Renthal Aluminum rear sprocket. I can get two years out of them. It's not a permanent weight mod, but that will drop it a couple pounds.

• Monk

I'm trying to figure out if I want 2 Yamahas (YZ250FX and YZ450FX) in my garage or a single KTM 350 XCF. I already have the YZ250FX, though I haven't ridden it much.

My only time on a KTM 350 was on a 2015 350 SXF with some engine work done on it, set up for woods. I thought it was great. It felt light and the 2016s are lighter than the 2015s. The engine felt good, very snappy, but it wasn't stock. I need to ride a 2016 KTM 350XCF.

New 16 350s are spectacular!

• RMK800

Posted December 26, 2015 - 09:52 AM

Hard to lose 15lbs, add a billet clutch basket, larger tank on the 450FX, hydro clutch, better brakes, and a few oddities to get the FX close or up to par to a XCF.

From what I've read the brakes are debatable. Maybe in feel it goes to KTM.

• KennyMc

Posted December 26, 2015 - 11:57 AM

The 450 XC-F comes with a kick stand.  You removed it on the 450FX, should go ahead and remove it on the XC-F to save the weight there as well if trying to compare :thinking:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ckny

Posted December 26, 2015 - 12:22 PM

I spent some more time on a 450FX today, small MX track, sand track, single track and fast GNCC type terrain. Bike was great, suspension is braking in. Really enjoyed it like I did the first time. Engine braking seems a little more than the 250. Weight never bothered me, I think people make too much of the weight issue. Rode with my 2 buddies, we are top 5 plus 40 expert racers. Bike did everything well and I didn't notice much weight difference between my 250 and the 450. Rode some slow rooty, wet snotty technical single track and the bike was awesome.

• Bass Mechanic

Posted December 27, 2015 - 06:05 AM

I have a FMF 4.1 titanium exhaust in order for mine that's another 3 lbs weight savings. I did a crude measurement with a bathroom scale on the stock pipe I think it was 6.8 lbs I know it and the full header was 8.5 lbs the titanium weighs 4.1 lbs + ti header was a total of 5. Some lbs.
When my pipe comes in I have a postage scale that weighs up to 20 lbs I'll weigh everything and give you an exact number and I will also weigh the bike again.
I have the fan and radiator braces installed and am waiting for the hand guards. I also have a liFe battery earth x brand.

And yes I'm on a quest to trim some weight but it f it ends up 15 lbs more than the KTM there is more to love lol.

I do know this number from memory. When I had the exhaust and header removed and with the half gallon of fuel it came with, liFe battery installed the bike weighed 240 lbs

Edited by Bass Mechanic, December 27, 2015 - 06:08 AM.

• TN Dirt Rider

Posted December 27, 2015 - 07:01 AM

I spent some more time on a 450FX today, small MX track, sand track, single track and fast GNCC type terrain. Bike was great, suspension is braking in. Really enjoyed it like I did the first time. Engine braking seems a little more than the 250. Weight never bothered me, I think people make too much of the weight issue. Rode with my 2 buddies, we are top 5 plus 40 expert racers. Bike did everything well and I didn't notice much weight difference between my 250 and the 450. Rode some slow rooty, wet snotty technical single track and the bike was awesome.

Sounds great!! I wish I could ride one, but I'm afraid if I did I would buy it on the spot.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted December 27, 2015 - 07:42 AM

Another weight item, I've had good luck with Renthal Aluminum rear sprocket. I can get two years out of them. It's not a permanent weight mod, but that will drop it a couple pounds.

My 2012 WR had a steel rear sprocket.   Replacing it with an aluminum one saved 1 pound.

My 2105 YZ250FX has an aluminum rear sprocket from the factory.  FWIW, it weighs 251 pounds, ready to ride with the stock exhaust and battery.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted December 27, 2015 - 07:45 AM

I find it interesting that several people have said its great to ride, even in snotty, tight conditions.  It doesn't matter what a scale says.  What matters is how the bike rides.  Power delivery, suspension, ergonomics, reliability and geometry can't be measured as easily as weight, but they matter as much or more.

• KennyMc

Posted December 27, 2015 - 08:11 AM

I just wish they'd get the WR out soon. The FX sounds great but I need the green sticker.

• KTMfinrider

Posted December 27, 2015 - 08:48 AM

I find it interesting..

I find it weird, maybe even not being honest.

• tomerb

Posted December 27, 2015 - 09:19 AM

I just wish they'd get the WR out soon. The FX sounds great but I need the green sticker.

CARB just gave approval to the 2016 WR on 12-21-15

• YHGEORGE

Posted December 27, 2015 - 10:16 AM

I find it weird, maybe even not being honest.

Due to engine characteristics it seems the 450 would have to feel heavier than a 250.  Even with my 2stks the bigger engine bike feels heavier.

• Monk

Posted December 27, 2015 - 12:06 PM

It doesn't matter what a scale says.

I find this statement funny as you went through a huge amount of hassle, time and money to make a WR light...

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.