Anyone pick up a 450FX yet?

951 replies to this topic
  • motocrotts

Posted December 24, 2015 - 10:27 AM

Lol, knock 20lbs off the FX, add a billet clutch basket combined with a hydraulic clutch, add a larger fuel tank, (suspension is really subjective as everyone should have it setup for themselves regardless of which brand), pump up the braking power of the FX with SS lines, and let me know how the "$11k" machine doesn't present some clear advantages over a FX?

Here is the real kicker though, both of you have never even ridden a 16 KTM so you don't even know what a $11k KTM is like to ride. You can't compare...

On a good day the DDS clutch is adequate.  That's why Rekluse sells so many auto clutches because you can't pull the clutch in very many times with out fatigue.  Hydraulic clutch? Big deal, I've replaced several master cylinders, and slave cylinders. I'll take the cable any day, smooth and easy every time. On a moto bike the KTM brakes are superb for sure but off road their overkill.  In a panic situation you'll go down.  KTM suspension is more than objective, in some cases their outright dangerous.  They dumped the 4CS on us in 14 and it was the most F'ed up fork I've ever ridden.  In 16 for moto it's slightly better, but far from fixed.  Off-road, the tuners are still smiling.  I've owned over 25 KTM's so I know a little bit about them, their 16 FS have a great motor and  yes I've ridden them, 250 and 350F's.  I wouldnt even ride the 2S as their the same as an 2012 except for the fubar 4CS forks.  It's great they have great brakes because you'll need them before you hit the rough stuff.  My 4S is a white KTM and it's superb and built much better than it's orange counterpoint and I love it, still cost a grand to get the suspension fixed.   That's why I'm on blue, plus it's a lot lighter than the electric start competition.

Edited by motocrotts, December 24, 2015 - 10:29 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 24, 2015 - 10:31 AM

Lol, knock 20lbs off the FX, add a billet clutch basket combined with a hydraulic clutch, add a larger fuel tank, (suspension is really subjective as everyone should have it setup for themselves regardless of which brand), pump up the braking power of the FX with SS lines, and let me know how the "$11k" machine doesn't present some clear advantages over a FX?

Here is the real kicker though, both of you have never even ridden a 16 KTM so you don't even know what a $11k KTM is like to ride. You can't compare...

I have.

The KTM is good.

Only the XCF is new. All the XC pds line is old stuff.

It finally handles like a motorcycle, not a mountain bike.

Power is still soft.

Peak torque is still extremely high in the rpms

Still can't short shift going up hill for better traction

Forks are still flexy and cheap

Ergos are still very small

Is still only a 75 hour piston motor....

Still costs $50 per pound of weight savings more

• stevethe

Posted December 25, 2015 - 04:43 AM

I rode a 14' KTM 500. My feelings were it was a great bike for torque but didn't have the top end. Does the monster power hills about the same as a older YZ'd WR450. Suspension was very soft but got squirrelly over the fast stuff.

I am looking for a reliable high hp modified 16' WR450. I hate things that break.

But I will say in KTM's defense their newer bikes have been more reliable than the early ones.

• KennyMc

Posted December 25, 2015 - 07:48 AM

I rode a 14' KTM 500. My feelings were it was a great bike for torque but didn't have the top end. Does the monster power hills about the same as a older YZ'd WR450. Suspension was very soft but got squirrelly over the fast stuff.

I am looking for a reliable high hp modified 16' WR450. I hate things that break.

But I will say in KTM's defense their newer bikes have been more reliable than the early ones.

I'm currently looking for a companion bike for my 350EXC. It will need to be CA plated. The bike will be ridden when we go to areas that are more sandy, bigger hills, longer dual sport rides (LA-Barstow-Vegas), Mojave Road, or when my wife/son wants to ride. They both have there M1's.

I am considering a new 500 EXC or a '16 WR or picking a new '13-'14 WR. A friend is letting me borrow his '15 500 EXC on Monday to go riding so I'll get to see how I like that.

It's odd you mention the top end on the 500's. All the guys I ride with that have the bigger 500's walked away from my modified '07 WR450. Guess it depends on how one defines "top end" and then has to compare the gearing on the bikes being compared. The KTM 500's come stock with 14/45, YIKES.

• Monk

Posted December 25, 2015 - 08:53 AM

I'm currently looking for a companion bike for my 350EXC. It will need to be CA plated. The bike will be ridden when we go to areas that are more sandy, bigger hills, longer dual sport rides (LA-Barstow-Vegas), Mojave Road, or when my wife/son wants to ride. They both have there M1's.

I am considering a new 500 EXC or a '16 WR or picking a new '13-'14 WR. A friend is letting me borrow his '15 500 EXC on Monday to go riding so I'll get to see how I like that.

It's odd you mention the top end on the 500's. All the guys I ride with that have the bigger 500's walked away from my modified '07 WR450. Guess it depends on how one defines "top end" and then has to compare the gearing on the bikes being compared. The KTM 500's come stock with 14/45, YIKES.

KTM 500s don't rev...

• KennyMc

Posted December 25, 2015 - 09:02 AM

KTM 500s don't rev...

How do I interpret this graph?
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1451062944.464135.jpg

• widebear

Posted December 25, 2015 - 09:12 AM

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1451062944.464135.jpg

Problem is. That graph doesn't tell you how quickly either motor got to its redline.You could add a 250 SXF to that dyno sheet for all that matters.

Edited by widebear, December 25, 2015 - 09:15 AM.

• Monk

Posted December 25, 2015 - 09:15 AM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1451062944.464135.jpg

I don't need a graph to tell me what I already know. I own a 500, it doesn't rev...

• KennyMc

Posted December 25, 2015 - 09:17 AM

Problem is. That graph doesn't tell you how quickly either motor got to its redline.You could add a 250 SXF to that dyno sheet for all that matters.

Hmm, ok. How would one compare that then, other than riding them?

• KennyMc

Posted December 25, 2015 - 09:18 AM

I don't need a graph to tell me what I already know. I own a 500, it doesn't rev...

Have you ridden a WR? Cause thats my other consideration.

What gearing do you run on your bike?

Edited by KennyMc, December 25, 2015 - 09:19 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted December 25, 2015 - 10:02 AM

If it says that a stock WR has anything like 50 HP, you can interpret it as s lie, whether intentional or not. You should be comparing the 500 to a YZ or an FX, anyway. WR's don't rev the way either of those do.

I have a friend in D38 who was telling me how pleased he was with his three year old XCF, seeing as how it's only on its fourth crank. Thus do I ride Yamaha, even if they need a little work.

• KennyMc

Posted December 25, 2015 - 10:08 AM

If it says that a stock WR has anything like 50 HP, you can interpret it as s lie, whether intentional or not. You should be comparing the 500 to a YZ or an FX, anyway. WR's don't rev the way either of those do.

I have a friend in D38 who was telling me how pleased he was with his three year old XCF, seeing as how it's only on its fourth crank. Thus do I ride Yamaha, even if they need a little work.

It looks like the graph says close to 47hp for a '12 WR.

I am comparing the 500 to the WR cause those are my choices for my 2nd bike. I'm not trying to just compare like bikes to like bikes.

Damn moderators :D

• stevethe

Posted December 25, 2015 - 10:19 AM

I was talking about top end HP. Monk said it the 500's don't rev. But they have good grunt down low.

• KennyMc

Posted December 25, 2015 - 10:28 AM

I was talking about top end HP. Monk said it the 500's don't rev. But they have good grunt down low.

Yea, but again I'm comparing the 500 to the WR and looking into the differences. :thumbsup:

• stevethe

Posted December 25, 2015 - 11:07 AM

Yea, but again I'm comparing the 500 to the WR and looking into the differences. :thumbsup:

I am only considering a new WR450 made into a FX and then building it from there. I do not believe the previous fuel injected WR's had the power.

I don't believe the new one with the comp. ECU and a pipe will equal the hp of my built 07. But it should have more potential handle better and be new.

• Monk

Posted December 25, 2015 - 11:10 AM

Have you ridden a WR? Cause thats my other consideration.

What gearing do you run on your bike?

I raced a 2012 WR 450. Other then the engine braking it wasn't bad at all. Bike was super fast revved awesome and easy to ride. My 500 was still better but I had 400hrs on it. It was exactly how I wanted it. A new WR or FX would be quite the machine through...

Gearing was 14/51 on my KTM 500EXC.

• widebear

Posted December 25, 2015 - 11:28 AM

I'm waiting for engineering to come up with a variable mass fly wheel. Some sort of gizmo that could couple/decouple  a flywheel weight using a servo motor, oil pressure.anything. I'd love to be able to knock  off a pound of flywheel weight by a flick of a switch for those situations where it would be adventageous.

• KennyMc

Posted December 25, 2015 - 12:07 PM

Well, my wonderful wife made the decision for me.......
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1451074024.613545.jpg

• RMK800

Posted December 25, 2015 - 02:46 PM

Mine also, she put this in a new money clip. Going to order a 450FX tomorrow. I have never purchased anything new. This will be my first ever. That includes all cars, bikes, snowmobiles, etc. Excited! Going to be huge over my 07 WR450.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1451083582.236109.jpg

• mobgma

Posted December 25, 2015 - 06:33 PM

So is the decal kit going to be a 100% copy of the yz250fx or will it be its own kit which seems to be a mix of the WR450/yz450f and yz250fx?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.