2014 Small Complaints - Filter Dirt / Gas Cap / Oil Screener

Yamaha YZ450F 2014

3 replies to this topic
  • savagex

Posted November 14, 2015 - 10:29 AM

I love my 14 Yamaha 450, 60 hours on it and still running strong! Its the best bike I have ever owned.

I have three small complaints that I was wondering if anyone has encountered or solved:

AIR FILTER

A collection of dirt always forms in the lower section of the air filter. This makes me nervous while removing the air filter, that dirt is going to fall down in the intake. Its difficult to get to the dirt to clean it out before you take off the filter. I always lift it back towards the rear fender so hopefully any dirt will fall between the intake and plastic wall. There is a screen over the intake but some dirt has to be going through. Has any one found a fix for this?

GAS CAP

The gas cap is hard to get unscrewed, seems to stick and the geometry is horribly designed for a turning motion. Also it usually leaks if I have a full tank. No matter how tight it is.

OIL SCREENER

The plastic oil screen seems to leak oil ever so slightly (its torqued to spec). The bolt off to the side that holds the screen in seems like a poorly thought out system.

These are small critiques on an otherwise great bike.

• Monk

Posted November 14, 2015 - 10:40 AM

I love my 14 Yamaha 450, 60 hours on it and still running strong! Its the best bike I have ever owned.

I have three small complaints that I was wondering if anyone has encountered or solved:

AIR FILTER
A collection of dirt always forms in the lower section of the air filter. This makes me nervous while removing the air filter, that dirt is going to fall down in the intake. Its difficult to get to the dirt to clean it out before you take off the filter. I always lift it back towards the rear fender so hopefully any dirt will fall between the intake and plastic wall. There is a screen over the intake but some dirt has to be going through. Has any one found a fix for this?

GAS CAP
The gas cap is hard to get unscrewed, seems to stick and the geometry is horribly designed for a turning motion. Also it usually leaks if I have a full tank. No matter how tight it is.

OIL SCREENER
The plastic oil screen seems to leak oil ever so slightly (its torqued to spec). The bolt off to the side that holds the screen in seems like a poorly thought out system.

These are small critiques on an otherwise great bike.

With the filter, Twin Air makes a unit with a bit of extra more foam along the bottom. You can also buy pieces of foam and stuff them in the shrouds. With all that, I use a bit of compressed air to blow any lose debris away when removing the filter.

Use a bit of grease on the top of the tank threads. Helps seal and keep the tank from sticking.

Ever so slightly thicker o-ring stops the oil leaks and makes for a tighter seal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • savagex

Posted November 14, 2015 - 02:23 PM

Thanks Monk! I will try your suggestions

• Conner_Steezel

Posted November 14, 2015 - 04:01 PM

Yea I just threw a little bit thicker o-ring on my oil screen

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.