Suspension revalve etc

10 replies to this topic
  • The Hedgehog

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:23 PM

Ok, I know it has been covered a zillion times but the posts start to run together and everyone has different opinions for each year and tuner.

I have a 2011 450 and want to do a revalve and or resetup. I know how to rebuild front shocks but am not exactly a suspension guru. Who is the best source to help me set mine up properly. I don't mind sending them off but I actually like to learn more about my bike by doing it myself (assuming that is not a total head scratcher or a waste of time).

Who do you like? I take it I will need to send the rear shock off. The rear mostly feels fine though. I weigh 190 though so I am open to suggestions.

I ride a variety of terrain. It mostly depends on my riding partners. I am a woods rider and don't race. We do have some pretty gnarly stuff in the Tennessee mountains though.

• stevethe

Posted November 11, 2015 - 08:03 PM

Easy do it yourself with Racetech gold vales.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 11, 2015 - 08:08 PM

Easy do it yourself with Racetech gold vales.

RT Gold valves are just part of the puzzle. They flow more oil, so the shim stacks react better, but it does not alter the actual damping of the fork/shock.

You can spend a lifetime learning to be a suspension expert, or you can send them off for $300-800 and have them done, with free tuning corrections.

It all depends where your time is valuable, to you.

Go into the suspension forum and seach " KYB open bath forks " to see what it's all about, or order a Smart Performance kit, and do it your self.

• Markin

Posted November 11, 2015 - 11:20 PM

Smart Performance kit,

What does this kit include and where it can be purchased?

• The Hedgehog

Posted November 12, 2015 - 05:26 AM

RT Gold valves are just part of the puzzle. They flow more oil, so the shim stacks react better, but it does not alter the actual damping of the fork/shock.

You can spend a lifetime learning to be a suspension expert, or you can send them off for $300-800 and have them done, with free tuning corrections.

It all depends where your time is valuable, to you.

Go into the suspension forum and seach " KYB open bath forks " to see what it's all about, or order a Smart Performance kit, and do it your self.

That's not bad. Probably best to pay the pros before I tear them down a few times to get it somewhat right.

What about Factory Connection?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted November 12, 2015 - 05:36 AM

That's not bad. Probably best to pay the pros before I tear them down a few times to get it somewhat right.

What about Factory Connection?

Your '11 forks are very simple, having only a base valve. The problem is the spring is crap, and the valve is extremely crude in construction.

You need an 'upgraded' base valve for best results. 

There are companies that specialize in this: Pro Action, Smart Performance (Dave J), and Factory Connection....

http://www.dirtrider...pension_revalve

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 12, 2015 - 05:37 AM

What does this kit include and where it can be purchased?

http://www.smartperf...m/PRODUCTS.html

TONS of threads about these forks, if you seach

• beezer

Posted November 12, 2015 - 06:34 AM

I used Smart Performance on my 450 and am happy with it.

I had the local shim shuffler install it.

I've also used Factory Connection many times and they do great work.

• stevethe

Posted November 12, 2015 - 07:01 AM

I did the Racetech myself. It comes with a DVD and access to their computer for your weight, riding style and ability. It removes the horrible spring loaded base valve in favor of a shim system as most every bike comes with.
So you need to be sure you are removing the spring shim with a new kit and going to all shims. Another great idea is don't tell the suspension people you are a expert very high speed racer if your not. Otherwise your suspension may end up very stiff.

• The Hedgehog

Posted November 12, 2015 - 08:13 AM

Thanks guys. This is what I wanted.

I like to learn but not chase my tail even though that is part of it sometimes.

• The Hedgehog

Posted November 12, 2015 - 08:16 AM

Your '11 forks are very simple, having only a base valve. The problem is the spring is crap, and the valve is extremely crude in construction.
You need an 'upgraded' base valve for best results. 
There are companies that specialize in this: Pro Action, Smart Performance (Dave J), and Factory Connection....

http://www.dirtrider...pension_revalve

Thanks! When I took it apart the first time I was expecting something that looks like a jigsaw puzzle to come tumbling out. I was blown away at the simplicity.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.