Still stumped on the old yz

7 replies to this topic
  • jackiefresh69

Posted November 10, 2015 - 11:02 PM

Okay so I had a post on here I while ago how I was stumped on my 08 yz450 .
Symptoms are that it is a pain to start and when it does it won't stay idling especially when it's cold . It does run pretty rough but it has no pattern so it could be running great then I will turn it off then back on and it will run like a dog . If it will run at all. When cold I usually have to keep it revving and ride it for 5 minutes to get any idle at all.
Things I've done:
Checked throttle cable and hot start have free play.
Checked hot start was not sticking open .
Cleaned carby thoroughly a fair few times .
Swapped pilot jet with a new one and still no good .
Adjusted feul screw
Checked slide plate is in correct position.
Checked valves for leaks and had them sealed again as well as adjusted .
I have checked stator is physically still on.
I am nearly to the point of taking to a shop which is very very un like me but I just can't figure out why I can't get the beast to start well and idle like it should.
Any help would be great ! Thanks

• jackiefresh69

Posted November 10, 2015 - 11:03 PM

Oh and timing is correct as well
As well as air filter is good and no air leaks and changed plug
It won't run any better with Choke than without as well

Edited by jackiefresh69, November 10, 2015 - 11:12 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 11, 2015 - 06:14 AM

Please state specifically what the symtoms are cold and hot.

Does you problem go away, or get worse with time

Where is your fuel screw set 

What kind of fuel screw is it, and is the oring new and in the right order (screw/spring/washer/oring)

Have you ever replaced your needle jet (emulsion tube); they oval out and cause all kinds of idle and partial throttle problems

Have you done a stator test.

Have you done a leak down test ( a real one)

• grayracer513

Posted November 11, 2015 - 07:26 AM

With an '08, the most likely suspect is the stator.  They can develop an internal wiring fault within the coils that will cause intermittent problems such as you describe.

However, the idling issue still sounds more like a carb problem.  What kind of response do you get from running the pilot screw in and out?  

Read:  http://www.thumperta...ircuit-setting/

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jackiefresh69

Posted November 11, 2015 - 01:04 PM

Please state specifically what the symtoms are cold and hot.

Does you problem go away, or get worse with time

Where is your fuel screw set

What kind of fuel screw is it, and is the oring new and in the right order (screw/spring/washer/oring)

Have you ever replaced your needle jet (emulsion tube); they oval out and cause all kinds of idle and partial throttle problems

Have you done a stator test.

Have you done a leak down test ( a real one)

Okay so cold is hard starting . The. Once it starts it will not idle it will usually just die If I don't keep it revving . From now it gets pretty unpredictable. If you just ride it softly until it gets warm it will run great 50% of the time but the other 50% when you try to ride it will just die out and won't start again . The idle seems to get better when it's hot. But seems to be hanging as well . Like I can adjust the idle screw but then it will drop drop down by itself.
Sorry for bad description I was a Little tired last night hAha
Fuel screw is at about 2 turns out. It is oem and have checked the order and the o ring looks good too.
No I havnt replaced needle jet I will try that.
I havnt done a proper one I might try making one today.
I can't do A stator test atm becauSe I don't have voltmetre but could borrow one of my friend. What exactly am I looking for when testing it?

• jackiefresh69

Posted November 11, 2015 - 01:05 PM

With an '08, the most likely suspect is the stator. They can develop an internal wiring fault within the coils that will cause intermittent problems such as you describe.

However, the idling issue still sounds more like a carb problem. What kind of response do you get from running the pilot screw in and out?

Read: http://www.thumperta...ircuit-setting/

Thanks I will try my best to eliminate the carby today.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 11, 2015 - 02:33 PM

Have you properly adusted the fuel screw, for max idle, starting with a low idle, once warm.

• jackiefresh69

Posted November 11, 2015 - 06:38 PM

So I replaced the needle jet with the one out of my kx250f and now it runs bloody beautiful!!!!! All this messing around the past month just for it to be that. Lol thanks a heaps guys !

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.