2012 WR450F starting issues?

A long story short, I was riding my 12' WR450 around and decided to stop into a friends house to say hi. I shut the bike off and about 20 minutes later I went to start it and it just cranked? I tried to kick it and nothing. It almost seemed like it didn't have spark or fuel, but I checked both of those and they were present. The single fuse it has was good. I swapped the relays and they still seemed to work. I bypassed the clutch cancel switch and that's all good. Their is no kill switch on it, I turn it off with the main ignition switch. I'm stumped at this point. If anyone has any ideas at all that would be killer.

Tip over sensor failure

Fuel pump filter dirty

Your bypass splice has failed

Out of gas...

He said that he checked fuel and spark so that would take out all of these possibilities... as long as he checked them in the right places.

PB2, where/how did you check the fuel and spark?

• Like 1

So the shop is saying it might be the actual fuel pump.

If the plug is wet, it is getting lots of fuel.   It won't be the fuel pump.  When it is failing, the plug will be dry, unless it is somehow providing more pressure than it should.

How cold was it out when this happened ?

FYI, the best way to clear out a flooded cylinder on an FI bike is to slowly kick it over with the throttle open or to turn the key off when you kick it over.   If you kick it over fast, the fuel pump fires and it continues to flood.   If you kick it over slowly or with the key off, the fuel pump doesn't run and it should clear out quickly.   Turning it over with the estart will fire the fuel pump and it probably won't clear.

Sometimes priming the pump twice helps.  I usually give the starter button a quick bump to get it to prime an extra time or turn the ignition off and back on.  Pulling the cold start knob probably never hurts.

• 2 weeks later...

Well it turns out that it was the fuel pump. It was pumping at 4psi when it should be in the 40's. Not a cheap fix either at $375 for just the pump. Welcome to fuel injection, but it runs like a top now!

Well it turns out that it was the fuel pump. It was pumping at 4psi when it should be in the 40's. Not a cheap fix either at $375 for just the pump. Welcome to fuel injection, but it runs like a top now!

Put a fuel tank filter sock in your tank and clean/change the pump filter every 3rd oil change