Wr450F not charging battery

11 replies to this topic
  • Dirtbiker24

Posted November 09, 2015 - 11:33 PM

Hi guys ive got two wr450fs at the moment and one of my bikes is not charging its battery I'm hoping to take parts of the other bike to test and see whats wrong with mine, just wondering were i should start, the bike was charging the battery awhile ago also. ones a 2005 model the other bike is 2004

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 10, 2015 - 06:02 AM

Check all your harness and battery connections first.

There is a harness plug coming from the stator that corrodes, and several ground connections that can come loose.

Put a meter on the batter, motor off and running. You should have 12.0 / and 13.5+ for each measurement

If the later one is low, check your rectifier connections... and expect that to be the problem.

• Dirtbiker24

Posted November 10, 2015 - 12:47 PM

ok thanks mate. i'll have a look.

• Dirtbiker24

Posted November 10, 2015 - 04:28 PM

looked all intact i cleaned some conections but there was one loose connection which was a yellow wire, checked with a multi metre and running it was 12:53 went down to 12:49 then back up to 12:53.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted November 10, 2015 - 04:47 PM

I occasionally have a no-charging problem with my 2005 WRs...

What seems to happen is the headlight bulb goes low resistance and draws too much current.   It still lights up, so

it is not obvious that there is a problem until after riding a while and the e-starter doesn't work because the battery

is flat.

This problem is also a bit counter-intuitive because the lighting and charging are separate circuits, and in theory 

should not affect one another.    Have had to replace melted headlight plugs a couple of times.   Not sure what 

is causing it to happen but replacing the bulb usually gets it to come correct and charging the battery with proper

voltages again.

Just unplugging the headlight is a good way to check...   unplug, start the bike and check the voltages.  rev the engine

to see if the voltage goes up.

Maybe a longshot, but easy enough to give it a go and rule it out...

• Dirtbiker24

Posted November 10, 2015 - 06:47 PM

Yeah its still not charging, none of my electrics (except the starter) is working at the moment due to the previous owner not being able to properly wire in the light switch module on the handle bars

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted November 11, 2015 - 05:25 PM

You should check for a parasitic draw on the battery, if the PO did some 'custom' wiring.

Using a meter placed between the battery ground and the chassis, you should read nothing. 

If there is anything drawing, you have something creating a draw, or you have a bare wire rubbing against the frame.

• Dirtbiker24

Posted November 11, 2015 - 05:27 PM

ok thanks mate will check that.

• Dirtbiker24

Posted November 16, 2015 - 01:48 AM

bit of an update guys, i've been all through the wiring fixed some broken wires and managed to get all the lights and horn ect working as they should be and for a brief moment the bike was charging i then stopped the bike and started reassembling the indicators  i then started the bike and it wasnt charging again, got the multi metre out and the stator wasnt working. This really has me stumped and annoyed i checked for broken wiring but found nothing. I have just found out the bike is running a trail tech kit also. 

Edited by Dirtbiker24, November 16, 2015 - 01:49 AM.

• beairmo

Posted November 19, 2015 - 09:05 AM

bit of an update guys, i've been all through the wiring fixed some broken wires and managed to get all the lights and horn ect working as they should be and for a brief moment the bike was charging i then stopped the bike and started reassembling the indicators  i then started the bike and it wasnt charging again, got the multi metre out and the stator wasnt working. This really has me stumped and annoyed i checked for broken wiring but found nothing. I have just found out the bike is running a trail tech kit also. 

Did the previous owner put additional lights, turn signals, horn, etc on the bike?

If yes, then they might have made a stator mod and went to aftermarket rectifier/regulator... ie. Baja Designs DS kit.

I had my Baja Designs regulator fail only instead of not charging the voltage went to 16 volts and it literally blew up 2 batteries before I figured it out.

Anyways, you need to start at the stator and see if its outputting any voltage. If its not, the stator might have loose connection. This could be very likely if the PO did the stator mod for a full DC system and didn't solder the connections good.

If the stator checks out then I would try swapping the regulator or at least measuring the output of the regulator. 

Not sure but the battery might also give you a symptom like this so you might want to swap that also.

• Damper

Posted January 07, 2016 - 03:00 AM

Easiest way is to disconnect to stator and see if it's earthing through the wires.... Simply so a continuity test on the yellow and white or if you don't have a Voltermeter use a test lamp by connecting a wire to the positive, if the light lights up your getting earth through your stator which means it's not charging and shorting

• Dirtbiker24

Posted January 07, 2016 - 03:16 AM

Hi guys thanks for the replies i found out the two yellow wires coming from the stator that then go into a plug near the fuel tank bolt screw had come out of its position when i put the fuel tank on and shorted the electrics against the frame and burned a plug that lead into the regulator.  wired a new plug in and the bike is now charging thank goodness for that. again thanks for all the replies guys you've been a big help.

Edited by Dirtbiker24, January 07, 2016 - 03:16 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.