1 reply to this topic
  • jc777

Posted February 29, 2004 - 10:31 AM

I am thinking about changing my back sprocket from stock to 52 teeth.Has anyone done this on there bikes?How much acceleration gain is noticible and how much top speed loss is their?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dubious

Posted February 29, 2004 - 12:19 PM

I haven't done it yet but thats the gearing I'm going to run.
I ran a 13/50 combo to compare it to the stock 14/50 and I noticed HUGE gains in acceleration, ability to pull a taller gear when the spread was just alittle to far with stock gearing, climbing hills, deep sand etc.
the 13/50 left 1, 2nd a little to low and tight(shifting through them too fast for the motor to even get a chance to pull) for my liking and lost about 8-10 mph, so I think the 14/52 combo will be a perfect compromise.
14/50= 3.57 ratio
13/50= 3.85
14/52= 3.71
I can't say enough about the lower ratio though.

14/50 = Sometimes I'd be plonking aroud in 4th at low rpm them come up to a log and the motor wouldn't have quite enough throttle response to pick up the frt whl.
13/50 would lift the frt end right now in 5th in the same situation.
I almost had to be careful cause the lower gearing turned it into the wheelee monster- would lift the frt end like my cr500 does-YEEHAA :D :)
I found the 13/50 gearing perfect for MX too, I would only use 3 and 4th gear to circulate the entire track!!
:D :D

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.