5th gear stuffed 1999 yz400f

11 replies to this topic
  • Yz400fthrashr

Posted November 07, 2015 - 09:11 PM

Runs fine in all gears but when you click it into fifth its like it neutralises,guessing the 5th gear pinion is stripped,any ideas?
And how much would it cost to get fixed and will it affect the motor when its ridden or will it be okay till it's fixed?

• WALKINGWOUNDED

Posted November 07, 2015 - 09:30 PM

Sounds like it may be the slider for 5th gear.

You may want to take a look at the shifter mechanism behind the side cover first, but you will likely be splitting the case.

For more exposure, post this in the relevant Yamaha forum too.

• WALKINGWOUNDED

Posted November 07, 2015 - 09:32 PM

If it's a 4-stroke, and the transmission and engine share the same oil, it could do some engine damage if there is schrapnel floating around in there from the 5th gear failure.

• Yz400fthrashr

Posted November 07, 2015 - 10:05 PM

Thanks mate,when i gave it an oil change couldnt see any shrapnel in the oil,there was a small amount in the oil filter which i changed and did a full oil change,yes its a 4 stroke
It runs fine so it musn't of done any or much damage hey
Cheers mate

• WALKINGWOUNDED

Posted November 07, 2015 - 10:11 PM

Your filter may very well catch any debris that may be floating around in there, but not sure if I would want to risk it.

I know the urge to ride is strong, but I wouldn't want to replace the crank too.

• Yz400fthrashr

Posted November 07, 2015 - 10:22 PM

Yeah thats true hey wouldnt want that happening thats for sure,would you have any idea how much it would cost to fix man

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WALKINGWOUNDED

Posted November 08, 2015 - 07:04 AM

A 5th gear, a slider and gaskets are probably not that expensive, but it will be time consuming to split the case.

Look on TT's parts catalog page, and get some prices.

• Yz400fthrashr

Posted November 18, 2015 - 06:01 AM

A 5th gear, a slider and gaskets are probably not that expensive, but it will be time consuming to split the case.

Look on TT's parts catalog page, and get some prices.

Have any idea how much it would cost in parts and labour at a shop? Can do the basics but not experienced enough for doing that i don't think

• WALKINGWOUNDED

Posted November 18, 2015 - 06:36 AM

Have any idea how much it would cost in parts and labour at a shop? Can do the basics but not experienced enough for doing that i don't think

I do all of my own work, so not sure what it would cost.

I'll talk to a friend of mine who has an Mx shop, and get an ideal.

I'll post the info this evening.

• Yz400fthrashr

Posted November 18, 2015 - 12:52 PM

Cheers bro much appreciated

• WALKINGWOUNDED

Posted November 18, 2015 - 05:02 PM

Spoke with local indendepend Mx shop.

To pull the motor, split the case, replace 5th gear as needed, reassemble, and install motor, labor only is $550.00

Add in parts and the possibility of finding more issues, it could be costly.

You may consider finding another bike to ride, and use this one to learn on.

• WALKINGWOUNDED

Posted November 18, 2015 - 05:06 PM

Just realized your in Oz.

Not sure of the hourly labor rates down under, but could still be potentially costly.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.