2002 yz426 starting issue

4 replies to this topic
  • Coach Brady

Posted November 07, 2015 - 07:07 AM

Hello everyone, I'm new to TT and this is my first post. I have a 02 426. I just had a exhaust side hot cam installed on my baby to remove the decompression lever. When my bike is hot or cold and trying to start it, I have a popping sound from the exhaust. Once it gets started it runs great. But this popping concerns me, sometimes it's a little pop and other times it's a violent pop. Please help.....thanks

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 07, 2015 - 04:17 PM

Could be a million things.

Have you adjusted the fuel screw by the book?

Has your jetting been matched to your intake / exhaust changes as well as your elevation?

Are you using the normal starting procedure?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Coach Brady

Posted November 07, 2015 - 05:47 PM

I had a local shop adjust the valves and card when I had the cam installed. With the I don't need the decompression lever. But to my knowledge I still need to start my kick at TDC...correct

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 07, 2015 - 06:02 PM

I had a local shop adjust the valves and cardwhen I had the cam installed. With the I don't need the decompression lever. But to my knowledge I still need to start my kick at TDC...correct

? card ?

You need to kick through a few times slowly to clear the cylinder.

Then you need to pull the choke lever, and kick lightly till you  find top dead center.

Kick barely past TDC and kick firmly, using no throttle at any time.

If you pilot jet is correct, and your fuel screw is adjusted to match you pilot, then it will start.

If it's above 60 degrees, you will probably need to push the choke back in and feather the clutch until it is warm.

Your plug should be gapped at .90, and your air filter must be clean and oiled, with all excess oil removed.

If you are using conventiona pump gas, you will need to treat if for ethanol, every tank, every time, or you will have problems...

• Coach Brady

Posted November 07, 2015 - 08:54 PM

Yeah...?card ? .....lol

My head was moving faster than my fingers. Would you recommend running a additive in the gas? I run 91 octane in my bike. When I'm done riding, I turn the gas off and let the bike run until it turns off.

Edited by Coach Brady, November 07, 2015 - 08:55 PM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.