Oil Change & Throttle adjust

6 replies to this topic
  • Sparky_So_Cal

Posted March 01, 2002 - 02:57 AM

I was looking through the manual last night on how to adjust my throttle and was a little confused. It said first adjust one cable then the other. It was also talking about one cable pulling and the other pushing. Can/will both cables be out of alignment equal amounts?? If not, how can one determine which cable needs adjustment?? I am really nervous to play w/ it. Any suggestions?? Also, how many of you guys replace the brass (i think thats what they are) washers on the oil drain bolts and the O-ring on the oil filter cap each time you change the oil? Or do you just inspect them?

Thanks in advance,

Sparky

• sirthumpalot

Posted March 01, 2002 - 03:37 AM

For the throttle cable, I was able to get all of the adjustment that I've needed so far from the adjuster which has the bolt pattern on it (to accept a wrench). Maybe this will work for you too if you don't have a lot of adjusting to do?

As for the washers and o-rings, I've just inspected and reused them, no problems yet. Be sure that you use a good torque wrench!!

• rmarion

Posted March 01, 2002 - 07:02 AM

Sparky

Nervous, yes, always nervous on first time with anything new :) . Don’t worry just jump in.

Adjustment procedure,
1. You should remove all free play from throttle.
2. Remove black cover.
3. Loosen both cable lock nuts, back off nuts.
4. Twist throttle, checking which cable is push & pull, for your reference.
5. Adjust cable proportionally, one cable might require more than the other. Note to adjust the cable w/o the end that a wrench can be applied to, back off the lock nut, push the cable (with hand) backwards, this will expose the second nut that locks into the metal arm, adjust this nut a little.
6. After cables adjusted, do not put cover on yet, start bike up, idle, turn handlebars left and right, your checking to make sure the cables are not to tight, if to tight, the idle will rise as if the throttle is being turned.
7. Install cover plate.
8. No throttle play = instant throttle response.
9. No problems just do it.

Rmarion

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rmarion

Posted March 01, 2002 - 07:03 AM

Sparky

Nervous, yes, always nervous on first time with anything new :) . Don’t worry just jump in.

Adjustment procedure,
2. Remove black cover.
5. Adjust cable proportionally, one cable might require more than the other. Note to adjust the cable w/o the end that a wrench can be applied to, back off the lock nut, push the cable (with hand) backwards, this will expose the second nut that locks into the metal arm, adjust this nut a little.
6. After cables adjusted, do not put cover on yet, start bike up, idle, turn handlebars left and right, your checking to make sure the cables are not to tight, if to tight, the idle will rise as if the throttle is being turned.
7. Install cover plate.

Rmarion

• rmarion

Posted March 01, 2002 - 07:06 AM

Sparky

Adjustment procedure,
2. Remove black cover.
7. Install cover plate.

Rmarion

• Shawn_Mc

Posted March 01, 2002 - 08:27 AM

Rmarion has the procedure down. I personally dont go with the zero play deal though. There are places where your going to want to coast through rough little stuff and unless your holding the clutch, the slightest bobble will blip the throttle, and probably spin the tire. Its definitely a personal preference thing.

• Boit

Posted March 01, 2002 - 08:59 AM

I also want just the smallest amount of throttle free play for the very reason Shawn relates too. Also, when adjusting the cables, it's a good idea to try and have them adjusted so that the adjusters are about equally in distance from the pulley. Just take a visual measurement from the side with the cover off and look for about the same length of cable exposed on both cables. I think the '00 model had excessive cable wear on the top cable if the free length was too short. It was making a slight turn onto the pulley and rubbing the edge. Some guys were adjusting the throttle with the top cable having a little more free length to compensate.

[ March 02, 2002: Message edited by: Boit ]

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.