Stock 2015 WR450F ready for mods!

12 replies to this topic
  • wrthomas

Posted November 04, 2015 - 12:38 PM

I know there are many ways to modify a WR BUT here's the question.  What do you guys recommend?  I'm a 250lb rider.  Mostly trails and light

riding just for fun.  I sneak around through my neighborhood here and there in order to get to some dirt.  I bought this bike as a toy and because

when I was a kid I always dreamed of a dirt bike with knobbies and big jacked up suspension but couldn't afford one.  I've had it for 6 months and

kept it stock because I wanted to get a feel for the factory setup and performance.  I went through the break in procedure that I had read which

focused mainly on the concept of letting your bike warm up and then running it fairly hard to get the piston rings seated nicely.  I don't have an

unlimited budget but I'm not trying to stay cheap either.  What would you guys do?  Tuner, exhaust, grey wire & throttle stop?  Should they all be

done at the same time?  What's the best step by step process you would follow if this was your project?  I'm sure I can find info on this subject but

where's the fun in that!  Thank you

• Ride-n-Hard

Posted November 04, 2015 - 01:11 PM

There won't be a "grey" wire mod to do on this bike. Straight from the factory the bike will be lean. The first thing I would suggest before all other mods is

get a race ecm and a tuner. Rockymountainatv has a good price on a combo. That way you can at least get rid of the lean condition. After that, remove the

"pee shooter" in the exhaust and change out the throttle stop screw (included in kit below). After that the sky's the limit (and budget).

https://www.rockymou...Kit-ECU?v=12126

(check for your year bike)

Edited by Ride-n-Hard, November 04, 2015 - 01:14 PM.

• Andrew Puetz

Posted November 04, 2015 - 07:20 PM

Lots of info on this.  Remove snorkel in airbox, buy Comp ECU AND Tuner (and research the maps thread), FMF power core or q4 silencer, throttle screw exchange (included with the ECU).  You won't recognize the bike after this.  It RIPS.  Good luck. 

• Andrew Puetz

Posted November 04, 2015 - 07:22 PM

Also, you and I are close in weight.  I would get suspension resprung and revalved. Made a big difference for me.  I also added a seat concepts seat...  Well worth every penny.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 06, 2015 - 07:40 AM

6.4 spring in the back, back way off the high speed compression if you are riding rocks, roots and logs.  0.5 or 0.52 springs in the front.  Maybe even a 0.54.  Less oil if you want things plush.

12 tooth sprocket if you are riding tight technical terrain.

2.1 bar rad cap to deal with over heating.  Or a fan.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, November 06, 2015 - 07:45 AM.

• wrthomas

Posted November 08, 2015 - 04:04 PM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447027489.654998.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wrthomas

Posted November 08, 2015 - 04:07 PM

Mod #1 complete. Baby steps, I know. Apart from the sound I noticed better performance at higher revs and a few stalls at take off. Seems like the motor is having a hard time taking a deep breath off idle.

• wrthomas

Posted November 10, 2015 - 01:25 PM

Ok, GYTR tuner/ECU kit ordered....

• wrthomas

Posted November 12, 2015 - 11:40 AM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447357209.173593.jpg
Ok, now to see if I can get to the throttle stop screw.

• Andrew Puetz

Posted November 12, 2015 - 07:07 PM

pull the header to get to it!  will save you much aggravation! Did you purchase a slip on?

• wrthomas

Posted November 14, 2015 - 05:55 AM

No slip on purchased.  I removed the baffle and last night swapped the ECU and wow what a big difference.  Very noticable!  I was

wondering if I should go ahead and swap the slip on as well.  Removing the baffle isn't the same as a whole different muffler but

you think I should?  for about $300 I'm wondering if it's worth it or not.  What do you think?

• SilvFx

Posted November 14, 2015 - 07:50 PM

No slip on purchased.  I removed the baffle and last night swapped the ECU and wow what a big difference.  Very noticable!  I was

wondering if I should go ahead and swap the slip on as well.  Removing the baffle isn't the same as a whole different muffler but

you think I should?  for about $300 I'm wondering if it's worth it or not.  What do you think?

I dont think it is worth it.  Just swapping ou the pea shooter and putting in the larger exit pipe (like you did) will give you plenty of power.  I run an FMF muffler on my WR450F (came with bike).  While it sounds great, I dont really feel any performance difference between my WR450F and my buddy's WR450F that is running the same exit pipe on stock muffler as you purchased

• wrthomas

Posted November 15, 2015 - 10:56 AM

Awesome SilvFx.  Thanks for the info.  The comp ECU made a big difference.  Even at idle it just sounds

like its running better and the roll on throttle power is much better.  I think I'll ride it a week or two before

I swap throttle screw and change the tune.  With the pea shooter removed it sounds great too!.  Love my bike.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.