Mark Anderson Memorial Ride

No replies to this topic
  • G-Man

Posted February 28, 2002 - 09:44 PM

Here are a couple of pics from that ride. I need to scan some of the better ones my buds have as you can see the Memorial sign a lot better. I dug up the original post for those that might not have seen it and for my fellow Zonies to see.

Posted on December 10, 2001.....

Well I was hoping to take a break from riding for a bit, but my buds would have none of that. "Mark would not want that", and they are right. But boy did he put us through a test, as we overcame obstacle after obstacle....

Anytime you try to arrange a large group of riders and support people (thank God we had them) together for a trail ride, there are bound to be some snags.

Let me back-track, Mark's close friend Bob Jablonski wanted to make a memorial sign that could withstand many yrs out in the harsh Arizona desert. Words cannot describe it and we took many pics but no one had a digital camera, so we will scan and if we could find a web pg THAT WILL LINK then I will post them. The memorial was so large and heavy that we could not transport it by bike, so Bob arranged for some of his off-road truck bud's to transport it. As we all prepared and lit the firing of the bikes problem #1 happened:

1) The HEAVY DUTY full size Chevy truck snapped it's aftermarket A arm not more then a mile from camp.

As we scrambled to figure out how we were going to transport it NOW problem # 2 surfaced:

2) Greg accidentally locked Marko's keys in his jeep and try as he might (very valiantly) he could not get in.

It was decided that when they went back to get a trailer for the truck, they would also get a slim jim to break in. But we NEEDED TO RIDE!!!! LOL

Gwinn Von who I had just met at Mark's Service (he is the desert Pro that was in the 3-way battle with Mark & I) very generously volunteered his immaculate truck to two guys he had just met 20 min ago!

Greg had invited Bruce from Steve's Cycle who knew Mark and wanted to go. Only problem was he has an 82 RM500!!! So you can imagine.

This ride is by no means a cakewalk and the RM's clutch completely gave out 1/3 of a way into the LOOOOONG RIDE!!

Problem #3 where the hell was he and how were we going to find him, was he lost, crashed or broke?

Again Gwinn Von stepped up to the plate (he had a desert tank) and went on a search and rescue mission. I commented to the Crew "Jeez Gwinn is not going to want to go with us again we are using his truck and now this!!!"

3) How do we get Bruce back? This is the first time we have ever had a sweep truck (they did not take the brutal route) and fortunately Bob had a 2-way radio communication with them. Anyway Gwinn spotted Bruce and directed the truck back to pick him up.

We were on our way once again.....

This story is getting long so I shorten it up, the rest of the ride was rough, tight and gnarly just the way Mark would have liked it and we found an excellent HARD TO GET TO spot to mount Mark's Memorial....

It was all worthwhile and Mark must have been really chuckling at us after putting us through the ringer, but the CREW was not to be denied.

Amen,

G

btw there are going to be two local Arizona Mark A Memorial races at SpeedWorld and Canyon, I will keep the local Zonies posted in case anyone is interested....

Mark A's Riding Buds

Bob J & G

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.