Red hot glowing header pipe

Yamaha WR450F 2015

58 replies to this topic
  • wrthomas

Posted November 15, 2015 - 12:02 PM

BN490 did you swap the ECU yet? Rode a little yesterday and this morning and my bike is running

awesome!  Lots of power and a big difference but not scary.  I'm not an expert rider and I'm wondering

how much power I really need.  Bike is just awesome all the way around.  There's something satisfying

about doing a ton of research, buying the bike that appears to be the best choice and then buying it, tweaking

it and loving it.  I'm a WR man all the way  : )

• BigNasty490

Posted November 15, 2015 - 12:27 PM

BN490 did you swap the ECU yet? Rode a little yesterday and this morning and my bike is running
awesome!  Lots of power and a big difference but not scary.  I'm not an expert rider and I'm wondering
how much power I really need.  Bike is just awesome all the way around.  There's something satisfying
about doing a ton of research, buying the bike that appears to be the best choice and then buying it, tweaking
it and loving it.  I'm a WR man all the way  : )

I have not even ordered it yet. I just had a muscle sowed back together in my left leg so I am down for sometime. I am looking for some more power for sure. I am used to my 500cc 2-stroke which is a blast to ride. Keep out there ripping up brother. BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!

• bourneaussie

Posted November 30, 2015 - 04:25 AM

Let me ask you another question. On occassion, I will make a lap or two through the neighborhood wearing shorts and flip flops (no comment)
and the heat coming off the engine is enough to cause me to hold my right leg away from the bike. I never get an overheating buzzer or whatever
but is that normal?

If I'm just running to the shop or a friends house I ride in trainers and shorts as well and also had the problem of the exhaust trying to melt my leg so I bought some heat wrap tape and wrapped the whole exhaust, from the engine to the back box (or whatever you call it on a bike). Made a huge difference!
On the plus side its also reducing heat soak into the radiator (actually the main reason I wrapped the exhaust) and its reducing the heat that it was piling into the rear shock (the exhaust on my 426 runs very close to the shock).
It theoretically increases power as well as the higher heat held in the exhaust system improves scavenging, but I havnt noticed a difference.

• wrthomas

Posted November 30, 2015 - 08:16 AM

Good to know.  I haven't thought of wrapping the exhaust.  Interestingly though once

I uploaded a different tune the bike doesn't seem to run as hot.  

• wrthomas

Posted December 12, 2015 - 03:47 PM

Ok so I finally got everything done and HOLY COW!  Now I see what all the fuss is about.  A true screamer for sure.  I opened it up

a few times and it just keeps on revvin'!!!  Love my bike  : )

• Kx250FRiDeR651

Posted December 12, 2015 - 06:21 PM

I just installed my megabomb header (15' Wr) Anyways I started it up, it's night time and the header was glowing within 30 seconds. I have installed the Ecu kit and uploaded the FMF map. Guess it's still normal to glow at night even with a better map?

+2 +3 +3 +2 +2 +1
+2 +4 +4 +3 +2 +2
+2 +4 +4 +3 +3 +3

• wrthomas

Posted December 12, 2015 - 07:09 PM

That's weird. Since I swapped the ECU and uploaded a diff tune mine still glows a little but not like before

• nd4spdbh

Posted December 13, 2015 - 07:40 PM

thats cus the power tuner does nothing for the idle fuel mixture.... you need to change the CO setting with the FI diagnostic tool.

• wrthomas

Posted December 16, 2015 - 05:05 PM

I have not even ordered it yet. I just had a muscle sowed back together in my left leg so I am down for sometime. I am looking for some more power for sure. I am used to my 500cc 2-stroke which is a blast to ride. Keep out there ripping up brother. BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!!

Hey bud, in case you haven't followed my post about my WR mods I'm finally finished.  Again, GYTR tuner, swap throttle screw, FMF pipe and change ECU and 

HOLY S#@t!!!  Worth every nickel man, I don't care if you have to rob a bank or sell crack or what but for about 6-7 hundred bucks and then BRAAAAAAAAP!!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted December 16, 2015 - 05:39 PM

Hey bud, in case you haven't followed my post about my WR mods I'm finally finished.  Again, GYTR tuner, swap throttle screw, FMF pipe and change ECU and 

HOLY S#@t!!!  Worth every nickel man, I don't care if you have to rob a bank or sell crack or what but for about 6-7 hundred bucks and then BRAAAAAAAAP!!!!!

Yeah, it only took 28 people banging it into your head for two months, too...  :rolleyes:

• wrthomas

Posted December 16, 2015 - 06:46 PM

Yeah, it only took 28 people banging it into your head for two months, too...  :rolleyes:

ha ha ha, let me have my fun now!  I'm a self described newbie for crying out loud.

Have you forgotten that "WOW, HOLY SHIT" feeling man?   

• Krannie McKranface

Posted December 16, 2015 - 07:04 PM

ha ha ha, let me have my fun now!  I'm a self described newbie for crying out loud.

Have you forgotten that "WOW, HOLY SHIT" feeling man?   

Never!

I am contantly looking for the next one on every bike I  build up...

• NH856

Posted December 16, 2015 - 09:58 PM

It's running rich, get it tuned. Altitude etc. matters

• BigNasty490

Posted December 26, 2015 - 06:33 PM

Never!

I am contantly looking for the next one on every bike I  build up...

I got my ECU in and I am dropping my bike off to Bikebandit.com to finish all of the mods for it. So far it is running strong but they are going to add some things to the bike for the race season.

• wrthomas

Posted December 27, 2015 - 10:55 AM

You are gonna love that thing!

• wrthomas

Posted December 31, 2015 - 01:15 PM

FMF map is my favorite so far.

• Eric Landmark

Posted March 26, 2016 - 10:57 AM

K guys straighten me out. I'm new to efi. I have a 2012 wr450f with 30 hrs.
Competition ecu,
two bros m-7 full yz system,
no toil power flow filter/cage,
Snorkel removed and throttle stop removed
"Modded WR450f" map loaded

It glows the header red in light shop conditions. I haven't ridden it yet, have some other maintenance to do first but just wondering if I'm going to have to track down and buy a fi diagnostic tool to adjust the idle air fuel mixture like a mix screw and pilot on the good ol carbed bikes?

Thanks a bunch guys, really enjoy reading everything on these forums!!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 26, 2016 - 01:36 PM

Yes

• Eric Landmark

Posted March 26, 2016 - 01:45 PM

Well I just ordered the tool from cmsnl.com for 105 shipped from Europe to Minnesota. can't wait to get this thing adjusted

Thanks

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Video shows hints of next WR450F or WR450FX? by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  34 replies
Forums
Photo
California-Southern

This subject weighs on me by Krannie McKranface

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  62 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2015 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2015
  • * * * * -
  • 11 reviews
  • Last review by Ken S
  • On November 03, 2016

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.