Red hot glowing header pipe

Yamaha WR450F 2015

58 replies to this topic
  • vlxjim

Posted November 03, 2015 - 09:03 PM

The only thing I can think of is that you heard the cap during a boil over. 

• wrthomas

Posted November 04, 2015 - 06:02 AM

No, can't be that.  It was definitely an audible warning of some kind.  Plus, like I said earlier, the conditions were

right for an overheat.  I wish my bike had an radiator fan but WR's are plenty tough without it right?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 04, 2015 - 06:32 AM

No, can't be that.  It was definitely an audible warning of some kind.  Plus, like I said earlier, the conditions were

right for an overheat.  I wish my bike had an radiator fan but WR's are plenty tough without it right?

There is no audible warning buzzer on a WR.

You won't need a fan if you do the GYTR kit.

• vlxjim

Posted November 04, 2015 - 09:00 AM

Yeah, There is no buzzer on the WR. But when the steam creeps pass the cap seal it can buzz. I've never had a over heating problem. I ride in SoCal and in 105 degree heat.

• wrthomas

Posted November 04, 2015 - 09:35 AM

yam_12_gyt_pow_tun_com_kit-1376670001.jp  

Ok, ok...I'm sold.  I wanted to trick this bike out anyway and it sounds like I've found some good guys to talk to.  Is the above pic

the tuner rig you guys are talking about?

• wrthomas

Posted November 04, 2015 - 12:46 PM

And you're correct about the "off idle snap".  It's pretty dramatic and even dangerous I'd say.

• wrthomas

Posted November 04, 2015 - 03:08 PM

So there's no gray wire mod on a 15' WR?

• Chaconne

Posted November 04, 2015 - 04:22 PM

There is no audible warning buzzer on a WR.

You won't need a fan if you do the GYTR kit.

Well just in case these work good and are a pretty easy install:

http://www.trailtech...digital-fan-kit

• wrthomas

Posted November 06, 2015 - 12:39 PM

So should I just replace the exhaust"muffler" or whole unit including header pipe?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 06, 2015 - 03:51 PM

So should I just replace the exhaust"muffler" or whole unit including header pipe?

Just the slip on muffler

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DangerRanger245

Posted November 08, 2015 - 10:12 AM

At the very least, pull off the baffle at the end of the muffler. You really need to get the ECU/Throttle stop screw kit. It makes a huge difference, and your bike will run correctly and its actually better for the longevity of the engine. I have a 15. It ran like a complete turd before it was uncorked.

If you think it runs well, its because you have no idea how it's SUPPOSED to run.

• wrthomas

Posted November 08, 2015 - 10:26 AM

I'm getting excited

• wrthomas

Posted November 12, 2015 - 11:39 AM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447357145.887704.jpg
Look what came to the door today. Thank you Rocky Mt ATV!

• BigNasty490

Posted November 13, 2015 - 12:54 PM

WR Thomas--same thing happened to me. I bought a new 2014 wr450. The glowing header worried me something fierce. I called the dealer and they told me that's normal because it's so lean. Don't monkey with the exhaust header--it isn't the problem. It is thinner metal to save weight, but it isn't the problem.

Invest 100 bucks in the programmable ECU and the exhaust tip from GYTR. Yank the snorkels out of the airbox and get rid of that stupid throttle stop. If you can afford it, buy the programming module for about $265. You can change the characteristic of the off-idle snap that's very drastic with a lean condition and stock everything.

Also, search for maps in this forum. VLXJim has some great ones that make the bike much more enjoyable and a lot less hot.

Don't be worried, just do it! Whole new bike. You'll find you won't get into a situation where you run out of throttle.

Rocky MT ATV/MX has the ECU for $83 or $85.

Edited by BigNasty490, November 13, 2015 - 12:56 PM.

• BigNasty490

Posted November 13, 2015 - 01:00 PM

Rocky MT ATV/MX has the ECU for $83 or $85.

• BigNasty490

Posted November 13, 2015 - 01:02 PM

image.png image.png

• BigNasty490

Posted November 13, 2015 - 01:07 PM

I also just picked up a 2015 WR. What does the dealership really do to the bike after the break in? Is is something I can do in the garage at the house? I am used to doing all of my own bike work. I still love riding my dinosaur YZ490 ( bored to 500 ). Thank you guys for any and all help. I am new to the thumpers.

• wrthomas

Posted November 13, 2015 - 06:49 PM

Update on my 2015 WR450F.  I know that most of you guys are the experts not me but for BigNasty490

and a few others this might be an interested thread.  Here's what I've done so far...

Bone stock 15' WR450F.  Last week removed the baffle from the exhaust and then road for a week.  Slight improvement

in performance once revved up but rough "off idle" when accelerating.  Still hard to start using batt start vs 3-4 kicks.  Very

noticable sound difference.  Sounds really good actually.  I'm wondering if swapping the slip on muffler would make much difference.

Today my GYTR Tuner/ECU kit came and I swapped the ECU but no tune adjustment.  Just went for a short ride through the neighborhood

and WOW!  Significant difference for sure.  I noticed that the idle seemed to be up somewhat and I'm wondering if I should roll it back some.

Throttle much more sensitive.  Nice smooth "off idle" acceleration. Revs quicker fo sho!  Very, very nice improvement so far : ))))))  Again,

all I've done is remove the baffle and swapped the ECU.  Total cost so far less than $100

Next up is connect the tuner and throttle stop screw replacement.  Update to follow...

• BigNasty490

Posted November 13, 2015 - 07:08 PM

Update on my 2015 WR450F.  I know that most of you guys are the experts not me but for BigNasty490
and a few others this might be an interested thread.  Here's what I've done so far...

Bone stock 15' WR450F.  Last week removed the baffle from the exhaust and then road for a week.  Slight improvement
in performance once revved up but rough "off idle" when accelerating.  Still hard to start using batt start vs 3-4 kicks.  Very
noticable sound difference.  Sounds really good actually.  I'm wondering if swapping the slip on muffler would make much difference.

Today my GYTR Tuner/ECU kit came and I swapped the ECU but no tune adjustment.  Just went for a short ride through the neighborhood
and WOW!  Significant difference for sure.  I noticed that the idle seemed to be up somewhat and I'm wondering if I should roll it back some.
Throttle much more sensitive.  Nice smooth "off idle" acceleration. Revs quicker fo sho!  Very, very nice improvement so far : ))))))  Again,
all I've done is remove the baffle and swapped the ECU.  Total cost so far less than $100

Next up is connect the tuner and throttle stop screw replacement.  Update to follow...

I am going to have to pick up the ECU for sure. The running lean is about to drive me nuts. Did you completely gut the stock exhaust? I took out the piece that was held in by the four bolts with the screen. What other parts can you take out of that stock can?

• wrthomas

Posted November 13, 2015 - 07:51 PM

All I did was remove the baffle, nothing else. For less than $100 the ECU just makes sense. Great bang for the buck in my opinion. Bike runs much stronger and crisp off idle acceleration. Just runs better. Very noticeable!

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2015 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2015
  • * * * * -
  • 11 reviews
  • Last review by Ken S
  • On November 03, 2016
Forums
Photo
California-Southern

This subject weighs on me by Krannie McKranface

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  62 replies
Forums
Photo

Video shows hints of next WR450F or WR450FX? by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  34 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.