Red hot glowing header pipe

Yamaha WR450F 2015

58 replies to this topic
  • wrthomas

Posted November 03, 2015 - 01:34 PM

Is this normal?  My bike is a 2015 WR450F.  Thanks!

Edited by wrthomas, November 03, 2015 - 01:36 PM.

• wrthomas

Posted November 03, 2015 - 01:47 PM

FYI only visible at night.  Have always used premium fuel.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 03, 2015 - 02:07 PM

Normal at night

Granted, the stock WR is lean from the factory, so it will occur sooner......hopefully you plan on doing the GYTR kit mod.

• wrthomas

Posted November 03, 2015 - 02:32 PM

I plan on doing some mods yes but I wanted to get a good feel for the bike stock first.  I was thinking the first mod I'd do would be exhaust.  Hard to say which is best

with so many choices out there!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 03, 2015 - 02:37 PM

I plan on doing some mods yes but I wanted to get a good feel for the bike stock first.  I was thinking the first mod I'd do would be exhaust.  Hard to say which is best

with so many choices out there!

Well, you can't just do 'one mod'. 

The intake and exaust restriction, and the mapping, should all be done together.

It's a system, that needs to be balanced, or it will stall, flame out, and run poorly.

You still have the throttle stop ??

• Slow_ride

Posted November 03, 2015 - 02:41 PM

I'm looking to replace my 03 yz450 with a newer WR450, ill be following his next response. I want one bad! I'm interested to know what the experienced WR guys do to their new WR right away to get it over with.

• wrthomas

Posted November 03, 2015 - 04:23 PM

Bone stock.  Haven't changed a thing.  Forgive my ignorance btw.  I sold my Fatboy when my daughter was born 4 years ago and swore off

street bikes because of her.  Bought this awesome WR about 8-9 months ago, and again, wanted to get accustomed to its stock settings/performance

so that I would appreciate and be able to gauge the mods better.  So one can't simply swap out the exhaust?  Certainly all systems work together but

I didn't know that one couldn't just swap out the exhaust for "some" improvements.  Am I wrong? And, yes, still have the throttle stop...

Edited by wrthomas, November 03, 2015 - 04:24 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 03, 2015 - 05:12 PM

Bone stock.  Haven't changed a thing.  Forgive my ignorance btw.  I sold my Fatboy when my daughter was born 4 years ago and swore off

street bikes because of her.  Bought this awesome WR about 8-9 months ago, and again, wanted to get accustomed to its stock settings/performance

so that I would appreciate and be able to gauge the mods better.  So one can't simply swap out the exhaust?  Certainly all systems work together but

I didn't know that one couldn't just swap out the exhaust for "some" improvements.  Am I wrong? And, yes, still have the throttle stop...

Yes you are wrong.

You are getting about 25% of the stock motors capacity with the throttle stop.

You cannot de-restrict any bike, carb or fi, without creating a leaner condition....

• wrthomas

Posted November 03, 2015 - 05:23 PM

So without the throttle stop the motor would have 4X the power?  That doesn't sound right...

• vlxjim

Posted November 03, 2015 - 05:28 PM

I know this is hard to believe. But your bike bone stock is 18 hp and with just he comp ECU and the free unplugging of the pipe and throttle stop screw removed your looking at the high 30's in horse power. And a pipe and a good map the power is in the low to mid 40's. Learning the bike stock will not help you.  Your better off with a smooth map and some power that you can use. Power to get up hills with ease, burp over obstacles, don't try to struggle with the bike underpowered. You need to understand the power and use it to help you. The bike comes seriously underpowered due to California carb and EPA restrictions so it can have a green sticker. Yamaha knows they ship the bike completely out of tune and unrideable. The fact that the stock ECU cost over $300 and the comp ECU is under $100 tells that story. The old way to do it was to cut the green wire that would change the programming in the ECU the EPA caught onto that and told Yamaha that they had to have a non-programmable ECU with no workarounds. Enter the competition ECU.

Edited by vlxjim, November 03, 2015 - 05:33 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vlxjim

Posted November 03, 2015 - 05:33 PM

Oh and with the CO bumped up and a good map the header grow is gone.

• wrthomas

Posted November 03, 2015 - 05:42 PM

Interesting to say the least.  I've certainly read and studied on the "uncorking" of a WR but now I'm legitimately scared because

my bike is a long way from underpowered right now.  Maybe not a screamer or whatever but easily pulls the front wheel in 2nd gear

and plenty of power to get up hills and what not.  And I'm a 250 lb rider.  I don't know whether to be scared or excited.  3-4X more actual

usable power?  Excited I guess LOL.

Thank you friend btw

• wrthomas

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:06 PM

Let me ask you another question.  On occassion, I will make a lap or two through the neighborhood wearing shorts and flip flops (no comment)

and the heat coming off the engine is enough to cause me to hold my right leg away from the bike.  I never get an overheating buzzer or whatever

but is that normal?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:13 PM

Let me ask you another question.  On occassion, I will make a lap or two through the neighborhood wearing shorts and flip flops (no comment)

and the heat coming off the engine is enough to cause me to hold my right leg away from the bike.  I never get an overheating buzzer or whatever

but is that normal?

Is it normal to ride a motorcycle that will, if you slide out or over brake, or god forbid crash...., will cause you to fall and proceed to grind off your skin so you need skin grafs....

No, it's not normal to ride in flip-flops and shorts.

Any other question regarding riding in flip flops and shorts is irrellevant.

• wrthomas

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:31 PM

LOL, point taken sir.

• wrthomas

Posted November 03, 2015 - 07:10 PM

So near the throttle body on the left hand side of the engine compartment

what is the gray disc/knob that has arrows clockwise and counter clockwise

and says "open"?

• vlxjim

Posted November 03, 2015 - 07:20 PM

There is no light or buzzer. And stock it runs hot. That is the cold start knob. You pull it out to cold start and turn it to adjust the idle speed.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 03, 2015 - 07:55 PM

OWNERS MANUAL

SERVICE MANAUL

• Nuklhed

Posted November 03, 2015 - 07:58 PM

WR Thomas--same thing happened to me.  I bought a new 2014 wr450.  The glowing header worried me something fierce.  I called the dealer and they told me that's normal because it's so lean.  Don't monkey with the exhaust header--it isn't the problem.  It is thinner metal to save weight, but it isn't the problem.

Invest 100 bucks in the programmable ECU and the exhaust tip from GYTR.  Yank the snorkels out of the airbox and get rid of that stupid throttle stop.  If you can afford it, buy the programming module for about $265.  You can change the characteristic of the off-idle snap that's very drastic with a lean condition and stock everything.

Also, search for maps in this forum.  VLXJim has some great ones that make the bike much more enjoyable and a lot less hot.

Don't be worried, just do it!  Whole new bike.  You'll find you won't get into a situation where you run out of throttle.

• wrthomas

Posted November 03, 2015 - 08:12 PM

Awesome! Thanks very much for all the info. You can really see sense the enthusiasm ; ) About the buzzer though. Once when I first got the bike I was put putting in some very rough terrain, barely moving, hot as hell outside, no breeze, and I did get some sort of warning buzzer. I thought it was an overheating alarm cause it made sense. If not a heat warning then what?

Related Content

Forums
Photo
California-Southern

This subject weighs on me by Krannie McKranface

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  62 replies
Reviews

Yamaha WR450F 2015 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha WR450F 2015
  • * * * * -
  • 11 reviews
  • Last review by Ken S
  • On November 03, 2016
Forums
Photo

Video shows hints of next WR450F or WR450FX? by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   WR 400/426/450
  • Hot  34 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.