My WR450F is boring... coming from a YZ250FX owner... YZ250FX review.

28 replies to this topic
  • KennyMc

Posted November 08, 2015 - 12:57 PM

Smoking up "woodpile hill" on the FX. My buddies climbed down to see how the FX would handle it.

I climbed it back to back with the WR to compare. The WR pulled it in 2nd gear here. I had to drop the FX down to first for a bit. Maybe with practice I could keep the FX revved up enough to pull 2nd. It was fun either way.

post-367712-0-70318000-1447014218_thumb.

The hill is about 100 feet of elevation gain, twisty, but fairly open. Good traction yesterday. We try to stay on the trail rather than freeride between the trees. To start the climb, you first have to go through 200 feet of cutblock which is essentially a woodpile. No problem, but you start the climb with basically no speed. It is not terribly difficult when the traction is good, but it is a different story after it rains.

I did this same hill last weekend with wet snow on the ground. Momentum is your friend.

I have armor on under my jersey.

Yeah, for me climbing hills out in the CA desert, like the saying goes, there's no replacement for displacement.
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447016207.776390.jpg
Or you have days like we had yesterday.....
ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447016263.283832.jpg

• KennyMc

Posted November 08, 2015 - 01:14 PM

Smoking up "woodpile hill" on the FX. My buddies climbed down to see how the FX would handle it.

I climbed it back to back with the WR to compare. The WR pulled it in 2nd gear here. I had to drop the FX down to first for a bit. Maybe with practice I could keep the FX revved up enough to pull 2nd. It was fun either way.

post-367712-0-70318000-1447014218_thumb.

The hill is about 100 feet of elevation gain, twisty, but fairly open. Good traction yesterday. We try to stay on the trail rather than freeride between the trees. To start the climb, you first have to go through 200 feet of cutblock which is essentially a woodpile. No problem, but you start the climb with basically no speed. It is not terribly difficult when the traction is good, but it is a different story after it rains.

I did this same hill last weekend with wet snow on the ground. Momentum is your friend.

I have armor on under my jersey.

I'm also in the market to replace my '07WR I sold. It needs to be a green sticker bike for certain reasons...

• Andrew Puetz

Posted November 08, 2015 - 06:48 PM

MidlifeCrisisGuy...  I made a similar review.  Went a little different direction with a 2 stroke.  Wanted an FX to start.

Check it out here

Lots of perspective coming from a WR450.  And now I get your "weight" obsession.  Even though I won't be trimming don't the WR.  

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 09, 2015 - 07:41 AM

I kinda get why people love 2 strokes but I think their supremacy is coming to an end, especially with bikes like the YZ250FX, for amateur riders like myself anyway.  Pros are a different story, but that isn't my cup of tea, so its a mute point here.

I share your opinion that the light 2 strokes feel really light.  That probably works fine on the track.  But in the woods, where there is an infinite amount of ruts, roots, rocks and gremlins to throw you off course, I find that having some weight and gyroscope effect helps keep the bike planted and stable.  I've ridden several 300s and 2 YZ250s and the best 2 bikes I have ever ridden for carving and technical singletrack are the Sherco 300 and the YZ250FX, because they are both planted and agile.  My WR450F is just a bit heavy feeling to be in that group, but it is still a really good woods mount. 

I ride with a guy on a YZ250.   He is fast.  I can keep up with him on my WR, but I'm working pretty hard.  The thing is that 2 or 3x per ride he totally loses it on a wet slippery section.  Our last ride started in snow.  He sprained his wrist before we even got out of the staging area.  The 300 guys don't seem to have this problem.  More weight ?  Tamer power delivery ?  I don't know.  But what I do know is I think that my YZ250FX is going to be very competitive with the 2 strokes in the conditions we ride in. 

Our last ride group ride started with 8 guys.  The YZ250 guy sprained his wrist.  After 25 miles we came to a road that led back to the staging area or we could continue on for another 10 miles of singletrack.   Of the 7 remaining guys, only 2 of us, me on my WR and a guy who still races on a 300 kept going to do the last 10 miles.  What does that say ?

I can't wait to try a YZ450FX, because I think that is going to be a really good woods mount.  Just the right amount of power with just enough agility.  I think Yamaha is on to something with the mass centralization.   I thought it was hype until I rode the YZ250FX and my WR back to back.  Similar weights but a totally different feel an d not just because one is a 250 and the other is a 450.

As far as stalling, the best thing you can do for a WR450F is put in a YZ exhaust cam.  It also lessens the engine braking which really helps in snotty conditions and keeping flow going through turns.  The other thing is to run a 12 tooth sprocket to narrow up the gap between 1st, 2nd and 3rd.  If you love 2nd and 3rd on the stock bike, you should try it with a 12 tooth on.  3rd rocks.  It is tremendously useful in the woods.    

I love that Yamaha is getting into the woods game.  Did I mention that I can't wait to ride a YZ450FX ?

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, November 09, 2015 - 07:57 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RockerYZWR

Posted November 09, 2015 - 12:03 PM

I kinda get why people love 2 strokes but I think their supremacy is coming to an end,

I don't think we've even seen the full potential of the two stroke yet. It's not that their supremacy is coming to an end; it ended 10 years ago. It's that they're on the rise again and just as four strokes have made huge technological gains, so shall the two strokes (with DI, FI, electronic control, more efficient combustion chambers, lighter and mass-centralized, and so forth). It's-a-comin'. Then we will take over and all shall hail the mixture-burning kings at our behest! And breathe deeply our spent exhaust gasses whilst endeavoring vigorously to keep up on your loud, overly complex and weighty four strokes.
Sorry, got carried away there. Anyway, yeah, good times ahead. I'm probably gonna buy a YZ450FX, too at some point, especially if I can find a way to plate it.

• RockerYZWR

Posted November 09, 2015 - 12:06 PM

Yeah, for me climbing hills out in the CA desert, like the saying goes, there's no replacement for displacement.
attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1447016207.776390.jpg

I'm willing to bet that the picture doesn't get close to doing that hill justice...

• KennyMc

Posted November 09, 2015 - 01:24 PM

I'm willing to bet that the picture doesn't get close to doing that hill justice...

It's not really that tough....except for those 4 guys :lol:

• Andrew Puetz

Posted November 09, 2015 - 03:10 PM

I kinda get why people love 2 strokes but I think their supremacy is coming to an end, especially with bikes like the YZ250FX, for amateur riders like myself anyway.  Pros are a different story, but that isn't my cup of tea, so its a mute point here.

I share your opinion that the light 2 strokes feel really light.  That probably works fine on the track.  But in the woods, where there is an infinite amount of ruts, roots, rocks and gremlins to throw you off course, I find that having some weight and gyroscope effect helps keep the bike planted and stable.  I've ridden several 300s and 2 YZ250s and the best 2 bikes I have ever ridden for carving and technical singletrack are the Sherco 300 and the YZ250FX, because they are both planted and agile.  My WR450F is just a bit heavy feeling to be in that group, but it is still a really good woods mount. 

I ride with a guy on a YZ250.   He is fast.  I can keep up with him on my WR, but I'm working pretty hard.  The thing is that 2 or 3x per ride he totally loses it on a wet slippery section.  Our last ride started in snow.  He sprained his wrist before we even got out of the staging area.  The 300 guys don't seem to have this problem.  More weight ?  Tamer power delivery ?  I don't know.  But what I do know is I think that my YZ250FX is going to be very competitive with the 2 strokes in the conditions we ride in. 

Our last ride group ride started with 8 guys.  The YZ250 guy sprained his wrist.  After 25 miles we came to a road that led back to the staging area or we could continue on for another 10 miles of singletrack.   Of the 7 remaining guys, only 2 of us, me on my WR and a guy who still races on a 300 kept going to do the last 10 miles.  What does that say ?

I can't wait to try a YZ450FX, because I think that is going to be a really good woods mount.  Just the right amount of power with just enough agility.  I think Yamaha is on to something with the mass centralization.   I thought it was hype until I rode the YZ250FX and my WR back to back.  Similar weights but a totally different feel an d not just because one is a 250 and the other is a 450.

As far as stalling, the best thing you can do for a WR450F is put in a YZ exhaust cam.  It also lessens the engine braking which really helps in snotty conditions and keeping flow going through turns.  The other thing is to run a 12 tooth sprocket to narrow up the gap between 1st, 2nd and 3rd.  If you love 2nd and 3rd on the stock bike, you should try it with a 12 tooth on.  3rd rocks.  It is tremendously useful in the woods.    

I love that Yamaha is getting into the woods game.  Did I mention that I can't wait to ride a YZ450FX ?

I think I might go to a 450FX in the future in replacement WR. I can't wait until it is out, really looking forward to reviews and ride reports. Though during my short ride, I really liked the smoker, I will still use a 450 plenty. There were portions of the ride that I wanted the 450 power and stability. The 2T was squirrley in places. My 450 was always planted. But I did have to work a bit harder in the gnarly stuff on the 450. Just lucky to be able to own both.

I might try out the 12 tooth sprocket.

But Ill repeat your sentiment. Kudos to Yamaha for getting into the woods game!

• trailman006

Posted November 14, 2015 - 07:11 AM

I have enjoyed reading this the whole way thru and the input by riders on the bikes I've owned  or ridden and have wondered how the others I haven't had the chance to ride compare. I had a WR450 for a couple of years and was riding with guys all on 250 2 strokes. The weight difference was noticeable, especially at the end of the day. I bought a YZ250 2 stroke ( keeping the WR for awhile ) and ended up modifying it with an Athena big bore kit, WR426 tranny and much more trying to get the best of both worlds. The WR450 was very planted and almost relaxing to ride. Sweet power once uncorked. The 2 stroke feels lighter, more agile but is very busy. I am looking forward to get a ride on the new YZ450FX. It looks like a great bike for the riding I do. I just wish they would have made it possible be made street legal.

Great read guys

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.