My WR450F is boring... coming from a YZ250FX owner... YZ250FX review.

28 replies to this topic
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 02, 2015 - 08:36 PM

I rode with an (unhappy) YZ250FX owner on the weekend.  In the snow no less !

We traded bikes for about half an hour.  He used to own a carbureted WR450F, pretty much stock.

He doesn't like how "lurchy" his YZ250FX is.  The throttle has an on/off feel to it that makes the engine either want to pull hard or decelerate.  This bugs him.  He has put a different throttle cam in it.  I noticed it when I rode it.  I'm used to riding my WR450F, so I could more or less negate it with good throttle control, but you could tell it was there.

Another rider had the same comment about the lurchiness of the YZ250FX. When I said is didn't really bother me, both of them looked at me like I was a bit off.  They both like the soft bottom end of a 2 stroke.  I'm used to riding my WR, where a wrong flick of the throttle in slippery conditions can get you into trouble. 

I was pretty impressed with the YZ250FX.  On the scale it probably weighs the same or more than my (lightened) WR, but it was quite a bit more agile.   I liked it much better than a 300cc 2 stroke.  More stable and planted.  Less twitchy.  I think its the best feeling single track bike I have ever been on, chassis wise.  Better even than a Sherco 300, for me, anyway.

Suspension wise, I thought the fork was awesome and the rear suspension was too stiff on high speed damping.  Easily fixed, especially since I revalved my own WR shock.

Power wise, I was surprised at how burly the bottom end was, for a 250 anyway.   Being we were riding up in the mountains in pretty slippery conditions I didn't get a chance to really wind it out, but I think I would be OK with the stock power.  It doesn't lift the front end with a simple blip of the throttle like my WR will, but it is pretty decent.  I didn't get to climb any big hills with it. 

The YZ250FX owner was pleasantly surprised at my WR450F at the first stop and said it was downright boring to ride at the second stop, because it made things so easy.  He said he was just idling along.    That is my impression of my bike too.  This in conditions that had one YZ250 rider crashing in the staging area and hurting his wrist and another YZ250 rider get seriously sideways on the trail, though he saved it.  Were the YZs too pipey for these conditions ?

The FX owner thought my WR's rear suspension was really good and the front suspension was too soft, both of which I agree with.

The other bike that was boring was a TE300 with a super sticky rear tire.  I'll take it as a compliment to have my WR in the same boat with a TE300, especially since my WR had a worn (but sharpened) M5B on it. 

One of the other riders had a 2013 KTM 350 XCF.  He offered to trade.  I didn't want to ride it in such slippery conditions, so I declined.   But I twice caught him on technical hill climbs, which surprised me, though I ran at his pace or faster on the flats most of the day.  I thought he was a better rider than I was.  Maybe he had an inferior rear tire ?   

I'm toying with the idea of buying the YZ250FX as a second bike.  I'm not sure I could give up my WR.  It feels heavier than the FX when you get back on it, no doubt.  But once you forget that, it still handles really well and I do love, love, love that 450F power. 

People say you never use the power of a 450F in tight woods, but I beg to differ.  You use it all the time.  Every log hop, every little climb, every acceleration from tree to tree.  You might not get it wound out at WOT very often, though you still do from time to time but its the low and mid speed torque that you use all the time.  I love how linear the throttle is on my WR.  Like when climbing a hill in slippery conditions, how you can roll back the power, get it to hook up and then roll it on just a bit more and accelerate, all while remaining hooked up, without spinning out.

My overall impression of the YZ250FX is that its an excellent singletrack bike.  Agile, planted, stable, good power (for a 250F).  I'd love to have one as a backup to my WR450F.

• Goatse

Posted November 02, 2015 - 09:26 PM

I think its the best feeling single track bike I have ever been on, chassis wise.

That's pretty well the cut and dry of my FX. I like the really fast single track stuff (road racer), and the FX does that stuff SO well. I honestly can't get out enough on the bike and all I ever want to do since buying it is get back out and ride it. This is someone coming off of an 09 WR250F, but I've ridden many different styles and brands of dirtbikes, so I think my opinion is a decently experienced one.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 02, 2015 - 10:10 PM

That's pretty well the cut and dry of my FX. I like the really fast single track stuff (road racer), and the FX does that stuff SO well. I honestly can't get out enough on the bike and all I ever want to do since buying it is get back out and ride it. This is someone coming off of an 09 WR250F, but I've ridden many different styles and brands of dirtbikes, so I think my opinion is a decently experienced one.

Thanks for sharing that because I didn't know if it was my mind playing tricks on me or if that was the case.  I still love my WR, but that FX seems to slice through the trees like a knife through butter.

Do you find yours lunges ?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:21 AM

Adjusting the TPS will reduce the lurching, but will have throttle response side effects, since your are affecting fuel and ignition at the same time.

A throttle cam won't do much, because the problem is in the first 1/16th of throttle opening.

The iginition map is not transitioning well.

Changing/retarding the ignition map from idle to 4000 rpm will help even more.

• Goatse

Posted November 03, 2015 - 08:02 AM

Thanks for sharing that because I didn't know if it was my mind playing tricks on me or if that was the case. I still love my WR, but that FX seems to slice through the trees like a knife through butter.

I wouldn't say lunge because it doesn't do it forward, but the engine braking is a bit excessive at times. I find on the throttle to have just the right amount of hit.

• 2banga

Posted November 03, 2015 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for sharing that because I didn't know if it was my mind playing tricks on me or if that was the case. I still love my WR, but that FX seems to slice through the trees like a knife through butter.

I also went from 09 wr450 to a yz250fx. I won't be going back to a wr450.
They "lunge" at speeds and in circumstances where the rider should be feathering the clutch. I had the "issue" under control within an hour of ownership. The "issue" is more apparent when the idle is set too low. It is a byproduct of the throttle body setup.
Apparently there is a company that modifies the butterfly to make the airflow more progressive at low throttle openings but I don't see the need with good technique.

• 91kdx25088

Posted November 03, 2015 - 04:57 PM

I rode with an (unhappy) YZ250FX owner on the weekend.  In the snow no less !

We traded bikes for about half an hour.  He used to own a carbureted WR450F, pretty much stock.

He doesn't like how "lurchy" his YZ250FX is.  The throttle has an on/off feel to it that makes the engine either want to pull hard or decelerate.  This bugs him.  He has put a different throttle cam in it.  I noticed it when I rode it.  I'm used to riding my WR450F, so I could more or less negate it with good throttle control, but you could tell it was there.

Another rider had the same comment about the lurchiness of the YZ250FX. When I said is didn't really bother me, both of them looked at me like I was a bit off.  They both like the soft bottom end of a 2 stroke.  I'm used to riding my WR, where a wrong flick of the throttle in slippery conditions can get you into trouble. 

I was pretty impressed with the YZ250FX.  On the scale it probably weighs the same or more than my (lightened) WR, but it was quite a bit more agile.   I liked it much better than a 300cc 2 stroke.  More stable and planted.  Less twitchy.  I think its the best feeling single track bike I have ever been on, chassis wise.  Better even than a Sherco 300, for me, anyway.

Suspension wise, I thought the fork was awesome and the rear suspension was too stiff on high speed damping.  Easily fixed, especially since I revalved my own WR shock.

Power wise, I was surprised at how burly the bottom end was, for a 250 anyway.   Being we were riding up in the mountains in pretty slippery conditions I didn't get a chance to really wind it out, but I think I would be OK with the stock power.  It doesn't lift the front end with a simple blip of the throttle like my WR will, but it is pretty decent.  I didn't get to climb any big hills with it. 

The YZ250FX owner was pleasantly surprised at my WR450F at the first stop and said it was downright boring to ride at the second stop, because it made things so easy.  He said he was just idling along.    That is my impression of my bike too.  This in conditions that had one YZ250 rider crashing in the staging area and hurting his wrist and another YZ250 rider get seriously sideways on the trail, though he saved it.  Were the YZs too pipey for these conditions ?

The FX owner thought my WR's rear suspension was really good and the front suspension was too soft, both of which I agree with.

The other bike that was boring was a TE300 with a super sticky rear tire.  I'll take it as a compliment to have my WR in the same boat with a TE300, especially since my WR had a worn (but sharpened) M5B on it. 

One of the other riders had a 2013 KTM 350 XCF.  He offered to trade.  I didn't want to ride it in such slippery conditions, so I declined.   But I twice caught him on technical hill climbs, which surprised me, though I ran at his pace or faster on the flats most of the day.  I thought he was a better rider than I was.  Maybe he had an inferior rear tire ?   

I'm toying with the idea of buying the YZ250FX as a second bike.  I'm not sure I could give up my WR.  It feels heavier than the FX when you get back on it, no doubt.  But once you forget that, it still handles really well and I do love, love, love that 450F power. 

People say you never use the power of a 450F in tight woods, but I beg to differ.  You use it all the time.  Every log hop, every little climb, every acceleration from tree to tree.  You might not get it wound out at WOT very often, though you still do from time to time but its the low and mid speed torque that you use all the time.  I love how linear the throttle is on my WR.  Like when climbing a hill in slippery conditions, how you can roll back the power, get it to hook up and then roll it on just a bit more and accelerate, all while remaining hooked up, without spinning out.

My overall impression of the YZ250FX is that its an excellent singletrack bike.  Agile, planted, stable, good power (for a 250F).  I'd love to have one as a backup to my WR450F.

Are you talking about the 2 stroke or 4 stroke? You mentioned “They both like the soft bottom end of a 2 stroke”  and mention 2 strokes several times but you consistently call it a yz250fx.

• KennyMc

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:41 PM

Are you talking about the 2 stroke or 4 stroke? You mentioned “They both like the soft bottom end of a 2 stroke” and mention 2 strokes several times but you consistently call it a yz250fx.

Sometimes (more often than not) you gotta wonder if he really rides what and with who he often mentions in his rather lengthy diatribes ;)

• Krannie McKranface

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:45 PM

Sometimes (more often than not) you gotta wonder if he really rides what and with who he often mentions in his rather lengthy diatribes ;)

It's in e-print, so it cannot be disputed.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:46 PM

Today I bought the FX I rode on the weekend.  I'll pick it up in a few days.

I considered buying a KTM350 but I got a great deal on the FX, a new KTM 350 would have been about $4000 more by the time I got it set up and none of the local dealers have one.  It came down to keeping my WR and buying the FX or selling my WR and having the KTM350 by itself.   Not sure if I got the decision right, we'll see.  I can always sell my WR and FX and get a KTM 350 later if I change my mind.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:51 PM

Are you talking about the 2 stroke or 4 stroke? You mentioned “They both like the soft bottom end of a 2 stroke”  and mention 2 strokes several times but you consistently call it a yz250fx.

I'm pretty sure I called the bike the FX when I was referring to the 4 stroke and called the bike a YZ250 when I was referring to the 2 stroke.

Our riding group has WR450Fs, a YZ450F, several YZ250s, one YZ250FX and one guy is looking at a YZ250X.  Plus a bevy of KTMs, mostly 2 strokes, a couple Huskys, a Gasgas, a Sherco 300 4T and the odd Honda, Suzuki and Kawasaki.  

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:58 PM

Yeah, like I live to dream up riding stories to entertain you guys.  Thanks for reminding me why I shouldn't bother sharing my experiences. 

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 03, 2015 - 07:00 PM

Adjusting the TPS will reduce the lurching, but will have throttle response side effects, since your are affecting fuel and ignition at the same time.

A throttle cam won't do much, because the problem is in the first 1/16th of throttle opening.

The iginition map is not transitioning well.

Changing/retarding the ignition map from idle to 4000 rpm will help even more.

I was thinking the same thing, that the ignition is too advanced at low RPMs.  I wonder if one could retard the ignition by slightly moving the ignition timing pickup on the stator ?

• Goatse

Posted November 04, 2015 - 06:38 AM

Today I bought the FX I rode on the weekend. I'll pick it up in a few days.

I considered buying a KTM350 but I got a great deal on the FX, a new KTM 350 would have been about $4000 more by the time I got it set up and none of the local dealers have one. It came down to keeping my WR and buying the FX or selling my WR and having the KTM350 by itself. Not sure if I got the decision right, we'll see. I can always sell my WR and FX and get a KTM 350 later if I change my mind.

Nice. Congrats.

I still have my WR as well, but the FX does absolutely everything so much better that I don't see when I'll ever have the desire to use it.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 04, 2015 - 07:36 AM

Nice. Congrats.

I still have my WR as well, but the FX does absolutely everything so much better that I don't see when I'll ever have the desire to use it.

My WR is far from stock and it is a lot better than stock.  I rode it and the FX back to back on the weekend and I foresee a need for both, even in tight woods.   When there is good traction and the trail isn't really tight, I suspect I'll still want a 450F, especially if it is the YZ450FX that I intent to upgrade to when they come on the used market.

I don't see the YZ250FX being my do everything bike.  If I wanted just one bike, I'd probably get the KTM 350 XCF.

• stroker

Posted November 04, 2015 - 05:46 PM

The solution to a "lurch" feel in the fuel injected bike is to tweek the mapping with the mapping tool.  It is very easy to do.  Takes a minute, you will not even get your hands dirty.  With some experimenting I have gotten pretty good at mapping.  Mine is silky smooth.....

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 05, 2015 - 06:41 AM

The solution to a "lurch" feel in the fuel injected bike is to tweek the mapping with the mapping tool.  It is very easy to do.  Takes a minute, you will not even get your hands dirty.  With some experimenting I have gotten pretty good at mapping.  Mine is silky smooth.....

I'd love to see your map if you would be willing to share it.

What exhaust system are you running ?

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 08, 2015 - 08:53 AM

The FX meets the family.  The stockish WR belongs to a friend.

image1(1).JPG

We weighed the bikes.

The FX, clean, full of fuel, with skid plate, stock exhaust, handguards and rad guards weighs 252 pounds.

The stockish WR, clean, full of fuel, with stock exhaust (removed because he is selling the bike), handguards and M5B tire weighs 273 pounds.

My WR, dirty, with mud packed in the skid plate, full of fuel, with all the mods, headlight added, M5B tire weighs 260 pounds.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 08, 2015 - 08:59 AM

My friend and I took my WR and the FX out to the woods and spent the afternoon chasing each other around.  We had a really good pace going at times.

The FX is a great bike, but clearly under powered at times.  I'll be looking to address that.   

My WR is surprisingly competitive with the FX.  The FX feels like a feather, but the WR is super stable and out accelerates the FX everywhere.  The FX handles super well.  The WR is no slouch either though.

It is a toss up which one is faster in the woods.  My friend thinks the WR is faster.   But the FX had inferior tires and suspension.  There is no loser here.  Both bikes are super fun.  We had a great afternoon.

I'll say this... if the YZ450FX is anything like the YZ250FX, I want one BAD.  It is going to be one kick ass bike.  I'll be replacing my WR with one in the future.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy, November 08, 2015 - 09:00 AM.

• MidlifeCrisisGuy

Posted November 08, 2015 - 12:30 PM

Smoking up "woodpile hill" on the FX.  My buddies climbed down to see how the FX would handle it. 

I climbed it back to back with the WR to compare.  The WR pulled it in 2nd gear here.   I had to drop the FX down to first for a bit.  Maybe with practice I could keep the FX revved up enough to pull 2nd.   It was fun either way.

post-367712-0-70318000-1447014218_thumb.

The hill is about 100 feet of elevation gain, twisty, but fairly open.  Good traction yesterday.  We try to stay on the trail rather than freeride between the trees.  To start the climb, you first have to go through 200 feet of cutblock which is essentially a woodpile.   No problem, but you start the climb with basically no speed.  It is not terribly difficult when the traction is good, but it is a different story after it rains. 

I did this same hill last weekend with wet snow on the ground.  Momentum is your friend.

I have armor on under my jersey.

Attached Thumbnails

• FullSizeRender(3).jpg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.