OIL CONSUMPTION

9 replies to this topic
  • 24HRDESERT

Posted February 28, 2004 - 08:18 PM

FIRST ONE!!!!

JUST DONE OIL CHANGE (AFTER ABOUT 250-300MILES AS USUAL) AND NOTICED SIGNIFICANT OIL LOSS...ABOUT 1/2 NORMAL LEVEL.

BIKE IS 2001 WITH 4500 MILES APPROX....SURELY THIS CONSUMPTION IS TOO HIGH???

NO LOSS FROM ANY SEALS ETC.....HELP????

• Haggis

Posted February 29, 2004 - 12:50 AM

I don't think you need to worry. The 650 will use some oil and the harder it get used the more oil it drinks. I cange my oil every 300/400 miles or so and always see some usage. Just keep an eye on it every other ride and enjoy the beastie.

• motometal

Posted February 29, 2004 - 03:33 AM

Is it normal to have noticeable crankcase pressure (from blowby)?

On my "L", if I take out the dipstick when it's running, I can feel pressure coming out of the dipstick tube. Otherwise, the bike runs great and only uses a small bit of oil.

• jstevens

Posted February 29, 2004 - 01:20 PM

Double check you oil levels again, It doesn't take much maybe 4 ounces to make the oil level go from FULL to LOW.
I had the same problem after an oil change. Just make sure you follow your Owners Manual's recommendations, and don't overfill.

• 24HRDESERT

Posted February 29, 2004 - 08:28 PM

THANKS FOR INPUT GUYS....GUESS WILL JUST HAVE TO KEEP AN EYE ON IT! HEY HAGGIS...WHERE U GET TO RIDE THE BRP UP THERE? MY PART OF THE WORLD, THO LIVE FAR AWAY NOW IN THE DESERT!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted March 01, 2004 - 06:18 AM

Consider installing an oil site tube so you can quickly check your oil level by just looking at the site tube.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted March 01, 2004 - 07:30 AM

Ive owned two 650s and oil consumption has never been a problem for me. After an oil change you may have to add a little oil after you get the bike good and warm but after that it shouldn't go through much at all. At least this has been my experience.

In case you don't know never check the oil while the bike is cold. You will get a false reading. Get it good and warm then check it. :)

• XR6's_rule

Posted March 08, 2004 - 01:24 AM

Hey guys, my 2001 XR650R has covered around 12,000 kms (or around 8,000 miles) and still doesnt appear to use any oil between services. That said though, maintenance has been good (at least while I've had the bike) and the jetting is spot on. You may want to check your jetting, an engine that runs too rich will use oil!

• TimBrp

Posted March 08, 2004 - 07:59 AM

How did you find that set-up to be Qadsan? I'm thinking for the New England bush-wacking my pigs gotta handle it may prove to be a reliability issue? Any comments...??

• qadsan

Posted March 08, 2004 - 01:41 PM

How did you find that set-up to be Qadsan?

I still haven't done it to my bike, but I've done it to my brother-in-laws bike, which he doesn't own anymore :) There are directions in the Yahoo file group for buying off the shelf parts and doing this mod yourself. I've had the parts sitting somewhere in my garage for a year or more, but I either forget about it or something else comes up when I plan to do it to my bike. I don't see any reliability problems even if you plan to bush whack because its tucked in so close to the frame, but I suppose there's always a chance for a freak accident.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.